Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 23rd May 2008, 09:31     #1
?>Superman

Kahui twins parents found not guilty

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...511099&ref=rss
Quote:
No charges will be laid against Macsyna King, the mother of twins Chris and Cru Kahui, now that their father has been cleared over their deaths, police have said.

Chris Kahui was this afternoon found not guilty of the murders of the three-month-olds, who died in June 2006 as a result of massive head injuries.

..."We still have two twins, Cru and Chris, who no-one's been made accountable for their deaths."
I know its been posted in random thoughts already but figured it was worthy of its own thread.

Pretty stink that they didn't have enough information to find someone accountable.
Old 23rd May 2008, 09:40     #2
StN
I have detailed files

It was an interesting turn of events - and they still refer to them as twins.

I thought they may have gone for the mother on the infanticide angle - after the first one died, she could have claimed looneyness.

Last edited by StN : 23rd May 2008 at 09:42.
Old 23rd May 2008, 09:50     #3
BadNova

Unbelievable.
Old 23rd May 2008, 09:51     #4
blynk

Question. IF they did charge the mother. Could her defense be "no it wasn't me, it was the father"? Or now that he has been found not guilty, could they not do that?

I think right from the start, it was going to a hard task for anyone to be found guilty beyond doubt, considering what how fucked up the family and everything was.
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:00     #5
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Question. IF they did charge the mother. Could her defense be "no it wasn't me, it was the father"? Or now that he has been found not guilty, could they not do that?
Chris Kahui claims his innocence has been proven in court, but actually the court simply did not prove his guilt beyond reasonable doubt (unless a jury believes a person to be guilty beyond reasonable doubt then they are supposed to render a not guilty verdict, not just "guilty" if they think he did it and "not guilty" if they don't think he did it).

There is no reason why she couldn't just say "it wasn't me, I was at the pub getting drunk at the time it happened" or something like that.

The mother can only be convicted if they can prove well enough to the jury that she did it - I don't think they have the necessary proof to convict her.
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:10     #6
Gentl e

A witness could still come forward - do we have a double jeopardy law in NZ?
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:10     #7
QWERTY?

they should charge them all with negligence etc. just to ensure they all are punished
Old 23rd May 2008, 11:10     #8
Fx.

hate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
King and her husband took their children to the family G.P., who ordered immediate hospitalisation for the infants. Instead of going to Middlemore Hospital, which was only 10 minutes away, the parents went to McDonald's and returned home after several hours.[7] King eventually took her infants to Middlemore Hospital. Doctors immediately discovered that the infants had serious brain injuries.[1] After the infants were transferred to Starship Hospital, hospital workers notified the police

While the infants were in hospital, Child, Youth and Family removed a 12-month-old brother Shane and their female cousin Cayenne, aged six months from two rented Housing New Zealand homes — one in Clendon, the other in Mangere — where the Kahui babies had lived. Police said they were treated in hospital for injuries resulting from "neglect". They had been found to be malnourished and "dirty".[11] According to the Herald on Sunday newspaper, the two children were to be returned to the family in September 2006. But neither the parents or so-called "Tight 12" of family members who initially refused to cooperate with police, would be their caregivers.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:14     #9
fixed_truth

so . . . did the police do their job properly?
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:18     #10
Fx.

they gotta at lesat do the whole family for obstructing a police investigation + negligence

COME ON D:

Instead of going to Middlemore Hospital, which was only 10 minutes away, the parents went to McDonald's and returned home after several hours.[7] King eventually took her infants to Middlemore Hospital.

^^ i mean come on -_-
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:24     #11
Rocket

common the MUM did it, shes guilty as FUCK. give her a few points and a barbie doll and hidden camera that shit i bet she goes mental all over that doll.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:36     #12
Baal

Clearly sibling rivalry was a factor and the babies killed each other.
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:06     #13
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I just love that there are people like that out there breeding. It fills me with all sorts of warm happy thoughts.
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:43     #14
FaTBoB

don't forget what you think and feel is not as important as what they say you should think and feel.
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:50     #15
funnel web

Very sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I just love that there are people like that out there breeding. It fills me with all sorts of warm happy thoughts.
Sad but true. Unfortunately our social system continues to encourage the Kahuis of this world to continue breeding.
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:57     #16
Know me.

I hope the police do an internal investigation to find out what went wrong here. It looks like the Kahui's won a game of prisoner’s dilemma. Thats not supose to happen with good police work.
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:08     #17
Baal

Chuck them both in jail?
Old 23rd May 2008, 16:42     #18
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

haha id love to be listening to newstalk zb right now.

anger++
Old 23rd May 2008, 16:55     #19
badassmofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
Chuck them both in jail?
FTW!
Old 23rd May 2008, 17:00     #20
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Why can't the so-called "tight 12" at least be charged with obstruction of justice? Those babies seem to have been abused since day dot (no doubt the mother drank and smoked during pregnancy too - pure assumption on my part though). I just can't believe that nobody is going to be held accountable for their murder. What kind of monstrous family allows children to be abused and then protects the abusers? It's just disgusting.
Old 23rd May 2008, 17:02     #21
Fx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Seb
haha id love to be listening to newstalk zb right now.

anger++
listened to that on the way to work this morning (forgot my ipod and my cars radio sucks)
he specifically said he wants no discussion on who is/isn't guilty as that aint right over the radio apparently
was mainly people complaining about the budget tho (not complaining about the small tax rebate but just how inane the idea is)

edit: surely these people have relations with last name who had no idea this was going on or even had never met them (distant relations etc)
i feel sorry for those people (assuming they're nice people not the horrors that these guys seem to be - tight 12 etc)
Old 23rd May 2008, 17:06     #22
StN
I have detailed files

Like this chap?

Old 23rd May 2008, 17:19     #23
Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
Why can't the so-called "tight 12" at least be charged with obstruction of justice? Those babies seem to have been abused since day dot (no doubt the mother drank and smoked during pregnancy too - pure assumption on my part though). I just can't believe that nobody is going to be held accountable for their murder. What kind of monstrous family allows children to be abused and then protects the abusers? It's just disgusting.
I couldn't agree more. The way that family went into lockdown after it happened shits me. Why was that even allowed? I can't believe two lives were lost and now no one will pay.
Old 23rd May 2008, 19:54     #24
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
Chuck them both in jail?
Nope. How about we just beat the entire "tight 12" to death. Seems about right.
Old 23rd May 2008, 23:45     #25
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey
I couldn't agree more. The way that family went into lockdown after it happened shits me. Why was that even allowed? I can't believe two lives were lost and now no one will pay.
It was allowed because we don't live in a police state.

I recall at the time the family went into lockdown people were asking the same thing, as it immediately appeared to be yet another case of family-aware child abuse. The police seemed to be itching to get at them, but also knew that if they made the wrong moves they risked throwing the whole case out the window on technicalities (such as not having any reason to arrest them in the first place). I guess in the end it didn't matter and the family planned well enough that no one could be found guilty-beyond-doubt.

Good luck to anyone named Kahui getting employed any time soon though.
Old 24th May 2008, 00:25     #26
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
Good luck to anyone named Kahui getting employed any time soon though.
Yeah, because that whole family looked they were all just dying to get a job. Not getting employed will really really bother them.
Old 24th May 2008, 00:58     #27
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey
Because no one is obliged to talk to the Police under the laws of New Zealand. This particularly feature of our law is seen as a cornerstone feature of a civilised constitutional system in just about every country on this planet that you'd consider civilised. In light of all this background, should you wish to maintain that there's actually something wrong with people not being forced to talk to the Police, please feel free to continue being dumb.
Old 24th May 2008, 02:02     #28
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Like this chap?

not sure what Liam Mesum has to do with anything I guess you were meaning Richard Kahui?

throw them both in jail imo or alternatively castration

Last edited by wugambino : 24th May 2008 at 02:04.
Old 24th May 2008, 02:16     #29
Fx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Because no one is obliged to talk to the Police under the laws of New Zealand. This particularly feature of our law is seen as a cornerstone feature of a civilised constitutional system in just about every country on this planet that you'd consider civilised. In light of all this background, should you wish to maintain that there's actually something wrong with people not being forced to talk to the Police, please feel free to continue being dumb.
so if the police walk along and you're standing over a dead body you can just close your mouth and not say anything about anything

interesting
Old 24th May 2008, 02:29     #30
Nemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.
so if the police walk along and you're standing over a dead body you can just close your mouth and not say anything about anything

interesting
..you have the right to remain silent

(US miranda rights I know, but still...topical)
Old 24th May 2008, 02:53     #31
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.

interesting
Well, what the fuck would YOU do? Start reciting Young Ones quotes?
Old 24th May 2008, 03:08     #32
badassmofo

Open up, it's the pigs
Old 24th May 2008, 13:27     #33
Fx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Well, what the fuck would YOU do? Start reciting Young Ones quotes?
start discussing the impact of alcohol and violent gaming on todays youth

edit: having never been in trouble with the lawman i don't know my rights inside and out :>

Last edited by Fx. : 24th May 2008 at 13:29.
Old 19th November 2008, 07:23     #34
QWERTY?

So a bump for this..

are they ever going to charge or prosecute anyone else in relation to this? at least with neglect or failing to provide necessities of life?

it makes me sick thinking these scum got away with it, In my mind I have no doubt a large group of them know exactly what happened and the one or ones who did the deed.

on the same note, glad those scum who killed nia glassie are getting punished. but we'll have to wait on sentencing before we know the real punishment.
Old 19th November 2008, 08:54     #35
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Just let it rest. The poor parents have been through enough, what with the court case and now having had their benefits cut 'cos of having two less kids. Why are you picking on them?

Disclaimer: the above post contains extreme amounts of sarcasm and should not be read by pregnant or breastfeeding women, or people with heart conditions.
Old 19th November 2008, 09:15     #36
Lightspeed

That's sexist. What about pregnant or breastfeeding men?
Old 19th November 2008, 10:59     #37
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Old 19th November 2008, 13:16     #38
Biff

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
Just let it rest. The poor parents have been through enough, what with the court case and now having had their benefits cut 'cos of having two less kids. Why are you picking on them?
I could not agree more. They will answer to the Lord in due time, I will pray for them.

Disclaimer: the above post contains extreme amounts of sarcasm and should not be read by pregnant or breastfeeding women, or people with heart conditions.