Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > ISP and Telco discussion
User Name
Password

Old 2nd March 2006, 19:38     #1
hypnotoad

Ihug Bliink / Mt Eden exchange ?

Hi,
Has anyone else in the Mt Eden area been experiencing speeds as though their connection has been rate limited on a full 2meg plan ?

We had Bliink 2meg installed about a month ago, and at first it was slightly fast (although definately not 2 Megabit), but as since dropped to about a 300kbit speed connection (as reported by Ihug.co.nz speed tests and NZDSL speed tests).

Have been through all the standard troubleshooting, including unplugging all phones, trying three different routers.
Tried G.lite aswell as G.dmt protocols, as I understand G.Lite handles line errors better.

Router(s) consistantly connect at 2.5mbit down, 160kbit up.
Line noise is in acceptable ranges.

We are definately not rate limited as I have had about four long phone calls with Ihug going through all the steps.

I would try my brothers Xtra login and password, but it doesnt seem to work from here.
Perhaps this line as marked as using UBS so a non-ubs ISP like Xtra wont work ?

Either way, I think its something to do with UBS or iUBS in this area, has anyone else experianced similar issues ?

Pings are fine, stable ~80-90ms to local servers. Its just the bandwidth that has the issue.

Last edited by hypnotoad : 2nd March 2006 at 19:39.
Old 2nd March 2006, 19:42     #2
Acido

Mt Eden Exchange here... off view road...

Xtra 2mb connection no probs.

I'm gonna take a guess and say its an issue with ur UBS connection

can you paste results from

http://nzdsl.co.nz/meter/
Old 2nd March 2006, 19:51     #3
hypnotoad

Quote:

Your current bandwidth reading is:

334.70kbps

which means you can download at 41.84 KB/sec. from our servers.
Have hassled the crap out of ihug, they say everything is fine. Telecom say the line is fine. GRR.
Old 2nd March 2006, 19:52     #4
hypnotoad

Quote:
C:\Documents and Settings\J->tracert www.ihug.co.nz

Tracing route to www.ihug.co.nz [203.109.252.42]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 97 ms * * tig-nz-akl-ns-42.ihug.net [203.109.252.42]
5 119 ms 103 ms 107 ms tig-nz-akl-ns-42.ihug.net [203.109.252.42]

Trace complete.
Old 2nd March 2006, 19:59     #5
TB

Did you upgrade to "ihug broadband" or did you just stay on "Bliink"?
Old 2nd March 2006, 20:02     #6
hypnotoad

Oh, Ihug broadband I believe.

Perhaps Bliink is not the right term
Old 2nd March 2006, 21:34     #7
hypnotoad

Hmm looks like other people around here have the same problem

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/311073/?

It's not hard to surmise that Telecom prioritise UBS traffic below their own traffic for ISP's like Xtra..

Given that the Mt.Eden exchange is probably oversubscribed it would make sense that people with ISP's that run on UBS would feel it most.

Old 3rd March 2006, 09:29     #8
spigalau

Quote:
I lived in Mt Eden about a year ago and had exactly the same thing.

It took me about 2 months of calling Xtra almost daily to complain, every time they said they were looking into it, I sent them traceroutes and all kinds of shit. For 2 months they told me that they were looking into it, and then finally someone said "Oh someone probably should have told you... there is problems with that exchange overloading and we aren't able to give an ETA for it to be fixed... so sorry you are stuck with a ****ed up connection and there is nothing you can do about it"

By the way, on the jetstream speed test my connection speed was showing about 1/4 to 1/2 what it should have been, downloading and surfing seemed fine but I couldn't play any games at all, they were completely unplayable.
Yep, looks like Mt Eden is one of those places where you really need to get Wired Country instead...
Old 6th March 2006, 15:32     #9
Renaz

Yeah i have been having the exact same problem. I live like 1.5 kms from the exchange and have been getting crappy speeds of around 35-45kB/s. I use to be able to pretty good speeds of about 180kB/s when i first joined up around 5 months ago. But since then its just gone from bad to worst. I too have rang ihug and gone thru all the steps and telecom has also reported my line being fine.

Is there anything we can do as a group to make telecom/ihug realise that this is a widespread problem??

Cos having a 2mb connection but only downloading at 35kB/s is unacceptable!
Old 7th March 2006, 09:18     #10
Renaz

Crying

Something must be done!!! painfully slow internet sucks!
Old 7th March 2006, 09:44     #11
fobski

haha

wait till everyones on 3.5 mega

will be lol
Old 8th March 2006, 14:40     #12
yem

Very angry

Snap. Exactly the same problem here (near George St, off Dominion Rd).
Orcon 2mbit bitstream. Was pretty fast (1-2mbit) until around 17 Feb, when it went to shit. 200-500kbit, usually below 300kbit. This is downloading a file off Orcon's own webserver and various speedtests so it isn't an Orcon issue.

Raised a fault with Orcon (what else can you do?) who spent some hours trying to find the fault. Eventually got a call from them saying "Telecom have just fixed something and your speed should be good now". Restarted the router and got 2mbit again! However the next day speeds were back down around 300kbit and it hasn't improved since.

Pretty suckful on the whole. Where's the fucking bandwidth, Telecom?
Old 8th March 2006, 15:35     #13
joker999

Ihug bliink

Your current bandwidth reading is:

48.00kbps

which means you can download at 6 KB/sec. from our servers.

:O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm live Karori!

ps: im playing MapleStory sametime testing speed.

but with 6kb/s

Last edited by joker999 : 8th March 2006 at 15:37.