Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > ISP and Telco discussion
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 11th February 2006, 11:04     #1
Savage

Jeremy @ Telecom Broadband support yesterday

If anyone here works for Telecom Broadband support, please give "Jeremy" a right fucking slap for being a useless twat on the support desk.

Rang yesterday and got the delightful Jeremy on the line. Told him that nothing was resolving and couldn't ping any external ips (DSL issue on the Shore yesterday), so he asked if I had any p2p programs running o.O Not entirely sure what the fuck that has to do with not being able to resolve any dns names. Tell him "No" as I don't use p2p programs, and the firewall is disabled atm.

Advised him that all three machines on the lan, as well as the switch and the router had already been restarted, and he then tried to tell me that we had to restart them all in a specific order ... wtf? I bit my tongue and did as he asked (having worked in support before, I know how annoying it is when someone rings up with a high-and-mighty-know-it-all-about-computers attitude), with him still denying that there was a DSL problem.

He asked again if I have firewalls and p2p programs running. Then asked if I could browse. This is where I got angry and asked him if he understood how dns works ... he started to stutter a bit and didn't really answer. I explained that internet programs can't work if the machine can't resolve anything. He put me on hold for about 5 minutes, then came back and pretty much said "we can't find anything, the problem must be on your side". That was his final answer, wouldn't do anything more to help me.

Hung up, started trying my own tests (different router, different account etc), surprise surprise ... not working. Rang back to hear a generic network status msg about "Broadband customers in some areas of Auckland having trouble sending or receiving emails, or browsing the internet". No ETA or explaination.

I was pretty fucking angry by now. I can imagine how many customers have come across Jeremy, and how frustrated they must have been with his sheer incompetence. How the fuck does a monkey like that get a job with Telecom? GG making me waste a couple hours of my time yesterday testing my hardware and lan settings you wanker.

Jeremy if you read this, you're dickhead and someone else with more brains should be taking home your pay cheque. You, and people like you with your attitude, are the reason Telecom support gets such a bad name for service.

Last edited by Savage : 11th February 2006 at 11:08.

Old 11th February 2006, 12:13     #2
Shazam

So why didn't you ask to speak to his supervisor?

Old 11th February 2006, 13:22     #3
Savage

The second time I rang back, I heard the status msg, and then held for 15 minutes to talk to someone about the whole thing. At that stage, the net came back up, and I had better things to do than hold just to tell his supervisor what a useless fish he is.

Old 11th February 2006, 13:48     #4
SumJaun
Cogito Ergo Sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
The second time I rang back, I heard the status msg, and then held for 15 minutes to talk to someone about the whole thing. At that stage, the net came back up, and I had better things to do than hold just to tell his supervisor what a useless fish he is.
Ask to speak with a supervisor. You could email you comments to BBservices.feedback(at)telecom(dot)co(dot)nz You should have been given a case # from your call but your username should suffice.

As you said only when you called back you were advised by the recorded message of an outage. Often the first indicator of an issue is an influx of calls to the helpdesk, during this period each rep is submitting data at the end of their call to be analysed to determine the nature of the fault (this is also passed onto Net Ops for investigation). So there will be a small delay for a network message to appear on the phone.

Even so "Jeremy" should of asked second tier support or picked up on the number of calls waiting would indicate a possible Broadband network outage. It is likely you were his first call related to the outage. Even so proper troubleshooting by him should of identified the nature of the fault - You were authenticated but not passing traffic, further ping tests and trace routes. By all means please use the email address above, your feedback is valuable in ensuring this will not occur in future.

Old 11th February 2006, 14:08     #5
MoP

Jeremy's gonna get ass raped

Old 11th February 2006, 15:11     #6
Draco T Bastard

IT Helpdesk people are hired more for customer facing ability than technical expertise these days. Apparently it's better to use all the right words in the correct format than it is to actually fix the issue

Old 11th February 2006, 15:11     #7
Limit

Some of the BB Tech people aren't too good.

At the very least he should have conferenced you to Advanced Tech Support... that's what I would have done.

As Sum said, email them and comment on it. They do follow up on this sort of thing... and hopefully it will make Jeremy try a bit harder next time.

Old 11th February 2006, 17:01     #8
Akane

I understand your pain, I'm currently working at EDS now, and one of my colleagues is so fucking dumb, it took him 1.5 hrs to login to the phones and PC, he's been there for 2 weeks (same induction as me), and he still has no fucking idea how to log into the fucking portal to start active directory, does random "let's put the phone off hook while the supervisor is not around and tiddle my thumbs" bullshit.

But then again you get the really good guys, WHICH he has to play dumb with the customer, you see, when a customer rings up, it could be someone in the know (ie: such as yourself), and others "where is the any key".

That's the problem there, we don't know how ereet you are, and we have to have a set of guidelines that we adhere to, it's a pain in the ass.

So yeah, Jeremy does deserve a backhand, but there's not much he can do, I mean, if I was at his position I'd love to tell you "yeah must be Telecom, maybe our network's fux0r, try again in 30mins?" But we're not allowed to say that, without concreate evidence by having 20548283 customers ringing in with the same problem. So we'll just have to keep saying the old shit "have you restarted this? must be your P2P shit" etc.......

Old 11th February 2006, 18:14     #9
Limit

Most people I work with would have referred you to a tech if you mentioned a network at all =/

I know a lot of people who can't think for themselves too. I work on a Dial-up helpdesk and if the problem only just started happening in the past 10 minutes they'd refer you to get a line test -_-;

Old 11th February 2006, 18:25     #10
cEvin
Love In Vein

i want a pic of jeremy

Old 11th February 2006, 18:52     #11
Limit

So I had 5 minutes to spare...

Old 11th February 2006, 21:08     #12
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumJaun
Ask to speak with a supervisor. You could email you comments to BBservices.feedback(at)telecom(dot)co(dot)nz You should have been given a case # from your call but your username should suffice.
I had to ask him for the case number, but yes I do have one. I will send an email about it, thanks for the address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumJaun
As you said only when you called back you were advised by the recorded message of an outage. Often the first indicator of an issue is an influx of calls to the helpdesk, during this period each rep is submitting data at the end of their call to be analysed to determine the nature of the fault (this is also passed onto Net Ops for investigation). So there will be a small delay for a network message to appear on the phone.
Yep, and this is what I suspected happened. However, Jeremy put me on hold for between 4 and 6 minutes (after I explained DNS to him a couple of times) to "check with someone", then came back and continued to insist that there were no problems. This is what primarily pissed me off, as I then had to needlessly start messing around with my lan to try and find a non-existant problem. If he had just told me he didn't know wtf was going on, would follow it up, and then call me back, I would have been happy. Instead, he basically told me that it was my problem, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
IT Helpdesk people are hired more for customer facing ability than technical expertise these days. Apparently it's better to use all the right words in the correct format than it is to actually fix the issue
Yep, and that has been a big complaint of mine ever since getting off frontline support myself, possibly another reason I got so angry about the call.

Anyway, cheers for the info guys, I'll send the email tonight.

Old 11th February 2006, 22:39     #13
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

friend of mine works on the dsl helpdesk , ive pointed him to this thread he said he will follow it up

Old 11th February 2006, 22:51     #14
untouchable

I have many thoughts on this matter, but for fear of getting my ass fired Im going to have to bite my tongue.

Old 12th February 2006, 01:13     #15
p-b

^^ Jeremy?

Old 12th February 2006, 16:10     #16
Wake

I emailed this thread to the above address.

Old 12th February 2006, 20:39     #17
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Jeremy kicked my dog.

Old 12th February 2006, 23:42     #18
Juju
get to da choppa

What colour panties are you wearing Jeremy?

Old 13th February 2006, 01:57     #19
Boofhead

I bet his daddy didn't pay attention and his mummy didn't care...

Old 13th February 2006, 02:51     #20
Simon
SHG

it's legal action time again

Quote:
To: <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>,
<[email protected]>
Subject: Compliant of Forum #1329887
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:08:57 +1300

Hi,

I have had a colleague of mine send me a disturbing email with a link to one
of your forums/posts. I am an employee for Telecom at the Xtra Helpdesk and
it seems that one customer "Savage" has used you public forum to complain
about the service that they were given when ringing the Xtra Helpdesk

The link is as follows:

http://www.nzgames.com/forums/showth...87#post1329887

For the record, I DID NOT, repeat, DID NOT talk to "Savage" yesterday as
what was described in this email. However, I feel extremely distraught and
hesitant that if anyone of your members that view this thread and take it
upon themselves to call the Helpdesk and ask for "Jeremy".

I urge you to remove this thread immediately, and, if appropriate, remove
"Savage" from your members list. If this thread is not removed, I shall
take it upon myself to assess my right to legal proceedings. A copy of this
email has been forwarded to my manager and other managers to aware them of this incident.

Thank you for your time

Jeremy Nohokau
Quote:
To: "Jeremy J. Nohokau" <[email protected]>
Cc: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Date: Feb 12, 2006 11:16 PM
Subject: Re: Compliant of Forum #1329887

I can see the headline now: "Online forum threatened with legal action after member of the public gives account of sub-standard Telecom service".

I'm sure your managers will be thrilled to see this, along with Savage's comments, in the news feeds this week.

None of nzgames.com's content will be deleted and noone will be removed from nzgames.com's member list. By all means, please assess your right to legal proceedings. The suspense is killing me. No, really.

Simon H. Garlick

Old 13th February 2006, 03:31     #21
Ard Righ

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
I can see the headline now: "Online forum threatened with legal action after member of the public gives account of sub-standard Telecom service".
Oh no woe is us, we can't have that happen. Telecom's share price might drop 30 cents, and it will be the end of the world!!1

It would be even funnier if a Telecom manager actually emailed you :P

Old 13th February 2006, 07:45     #22
Helious

Laugh

So let me get this straight..

Savage has a Case Number - which, theoretically should have Jeremy's name attached to it and he's now said that he NEVER spoke to Savage ?

bwartz. So owned.

Old 13th February 2006, 08:22     #23
Shazam

I like where this thread is headed, thanks Jeremy!

What kind of email addresses are those @telecom.co.nz?! Are their managers robots or something? o_O

Old 13th February 2006, 08:36     #24
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Laugh

*mocks Savage for spending ages trying to get things to resolve when they clearly won't*

:P

*hugs*

PS: That is one of the most frustrating symptoms in the world - I remember when Strongnet had a fault that used to leave your old connection dangling, and new connections would just sit there and vegetate, despite authenticating sweet. Highly fuckin annoying.

Last edited by DrTiTus : 13th February 2006 at 08:40.

Old 13th February 2006, 08:38     #25
Limit

Could you... um... post that case number please?

Old 13th February 2006, 08:57     #26
sky_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Subject: Compliant of Forum #1329887
Ok. What's that number there? Surely NZG isn't the 1329887th forum to complain about Jeremy. Or is it the 1329887th complaint?

Either way that number's kinda high.

And thank christ for another legal threat. I was about to think people were getting rusty..

Old 13th February 2006, 09:04     #27
Shazam

It's SumJuan's post number.

Old 13th February 2006, 09:16     #28
turksta

Okay...

Well... this has been followed up with the higher powers to the CSR's at the Telecom Broadband Helpdesk. Thanks for all the emails to the Broadband Feedback.

For your information Savage it is being followed up. It was being discussed yesterday. Wugambino gave me the thread to this topic so sweet.

Unfortunate you had to have a bad experience with my work collegues.

chur.

Old 13th February 2006, 09:43     #29
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

The glaring fundamental error here is...

You phoned a helpdesk and expected help.

I'm blown away.

Old 13th February 2006, 09:57     #30
Savage

lol

Thank you Simon

I don't want this guy to lose his job or anything. I don't think its unfair to expect Telecom to hire people who know what they're doing to work on their helpdesk. Hell, even the old "tier 2" technical support queue at Teletech had people who understood DNS answering the calls. If Teletech can get it right (once in a blue moon) how the fuck can Telecom get it wrong?

FWIW, I'm afraid I don't have the case number anymore ... I had it noted in a notepad document but rage-deleted it when I hung up from the second 20-minute stint of god-awful hold music. I supplied the people at that email address with my username however, so the call should be there.

The email I sent was pretty much a tidied up copy of my first post, nothing more. I'm going to be interested to see what reply I get. Will keep this thread updated.

Old 13th February 2006, 10:02     #31
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
The glaring fundamental error here is...

You phoned a helpdesk and expected help.

I'm blown away.
No, I didn't want or need help. I already knew the problem was Telecom's (although I admit Jeremy did instill a bit of doubt at first, as I thought he may know what he was talking about). I just wanted confirmation that there was a problem with DSL in the area (we've had problems with our phone lines to the house we're in now), and an ETA for resolution.

A couple of close friends of mine were with me when I made the call, and can testify to the bulging vein in my forehead while speaking with this guy

Last edited by Savage : 13th February 2006 at 10:04.

Old 13th February 2006, 10:29     #32
Mr M

My god.
It's amazing.
I think we've all managed to create a persona called 'Jeremy' which is probably completely unlinked to the actual 'Jeremy'.
For all we know the 'real' Jeremy is a Firefighter who volunteer's at the local SPCA while part-timing at the Telecom Helpdesk when he's not reading bedtime stories to dying kids...
But hey - he just doesn't know DNS stuff. Aparently. We don't ACTUALLY know. THE HEATHEN! BURN DOWN HIS HOUSE AND RAPE HIS WIFE!!
He might as well of drawn a cartoon of Mohammad with a bomb.
I don't know who Jeremy is, I doubt anyone else here does.
Some dude at Telecom fucked you around. Join the queue. Take a ticket and get in line.

Old 13th February 2006, 10:48     #33
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr M
My god.
It's amazing.
I think we've all managed to create a persona called 'Jeremy' which is probably completely unlinked to the actual 'Jeremy'. For all we know the 'real' Jeremy is a Firefighter who volunteer's at the local SPCA while part-timing at the Telecom Helpdesk when he's not reading bedtime stories to dying kids...
Are you unable to read? Did you miss the email Simon posted?

Quote:
But hey - he just doesn't know DNS stuff.
So he shouldn't be working in his position. Put him on a billing queue or something. Or at least send him on a training course so he knows how to trouble shoot a broadband connection fault properly.

Quote:
Some dude at Telecom fucked you around. Join the queue. Take a ticket and get in line.
lol, you let Telecom fuck you around when you're paying them good money? I don't

Old 13th February 2006, 10:51     #34
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

I'd like to remind you of the consequences of trolling in this forum.

Hannibal learned them last year. Ask him about it. But not in here

Old 13th February 2006, 12:59     #35
Boofhead

Quote:
No, I didn't want or need help. I already knew the problem was Telecom's (although I admit Jeremy did instill a bit of doubt at first, as I thought he may know what he was talking about). I just wanted confirmation that there was a problem with DSL in the area (we've had problems with our phone lines to the house we're in now), and an ETA for resolution.
That's all anyone ever wants and the helpdesk probably won't know it.

Old 13th February 2006, 13:25     #36
Rocket

Laugh

god what an entertaining thread. only on nzgames could this happen. Jeremy definitely chose the wrong path there. good luck with your managers lol. I mean at the end of the day he is really threatening his own customer by taking legal action. lol.

if only i could threaten/insult/deny my customers that have complaints about me and get away with it.

Last edited by Rocket : 13th February 2006 at 13:26.

Old 13th February 2006, 13:26     #37
Heresy
yawn.

I want updates

Old 13th February 2006, 14:07     #38
Mr M

Quote:
Are you unable to read? Did you miss the email Simon posted?
You mean the email from supposed 'Jeremy' from Telecom?
Are you that gulible?
Do you REALLY think that this Jeremy fellow knows about this thread, saw it and went "OMG - Better send threatning email!".
Orrrr - perhaps someone just sent the email for shits and giggles to prolong this witch hunt furthar?
If you believe that, I have a million dollars I'm waiting to send you from a recently deceased Nigerian King.

Last edited by Mr M : 13th February 2006 at 14:08.

Old 13th February 2006, 14:13     #39
Mr M

Quote:
lol, you let Telecom fuck you around when you're paying them good money? I don't
I don't fucking stomp my feet demanding blood.

Old 13th February 2006, 14:23     #40
Rocket

Quote:
You mean the email from supposed 'Jeremy' from Telecom?
Are you that gulible?
Do you REALLY think that this Jeremy fellow knows about this thread, saw it and went "OMG - Better send threatning email!".
Orrrr - perhaps someone just sent the email for shits and giggles to prolong this witch hunt furthar?
If you believe that, I have a million dollars I'm waiting to send you from a recently deceased Nigerian King.

perhaps he could of hacked the send address but yer..

http://static.namesdatabase.com/scho...nsCollege.html

now we have his name, poor soul.

Closed Thread