User Name
Password

Old 11th June 2008, 19:25     #1001
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I actually reprocessed it to try and even out the exposure a bit
Have you tried using Autopan Pro from www.autopano.net? This softwre is superb in the stiching, colour-correction, and anti-parallax-blending space.
Old 15th June 2008, 01:52     #1002
yem

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
P.S. Get a Pentax
This
Canon & Nikon won't give you image stabilisation at f/1.4.
Old 15th June 2008, 10:51     #1003
lektronimo

Stabilisation is like power steering on cars - for poofs
Old 15th June 2008, 12:52     #1004
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

El Reg Hardware has a review of the K20D up
Old 15th June 2008, 22:46     #1005
Dan

This is what the world looked like at 4:51pm this afternoon, looking out across the canterbury plains

Old 15th June 2008, 22:47     #1006
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
Have you tried using Autopan Pro from www.autopano.net? This softwre is superb in the stiching, colour-correction, and anti-parallax-blending space.
Thanks, looks good. I'm downloading it now to have a play with.
Old 19th June 2008, 07:51     #1007
yem

Radioactive

The Online Photographer's Top 10 (13) recommended cameras list is finally online, hilarity ensues:
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...ended-cam.html

Quote:
Although [Nikon D300] image quality is not quite as good as the K20D's, ..
Oh no he didn't!
Old 19th June 2008, 08:17     #1008
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Old 19th June 2008, 09:39     #1009
lektronimo

Haha good read, Canon has nothing 'till #6 and it shares the spot with Nikon. New Nikon leak, D700 apparently FX sensor with D3 body (minus the vertical grip). Looks plausible.
Old 19th June 2008, 15:40     #1010
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
Haha good read, Canon has nothing 'till #6
Really? What's that on #1 about the 40D then?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th June 2008, 09:55     #1011
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Really? What's that on #1 about the 40D then?
Just a little blurb. "... Although it scores over the D300 in only one way—price—the 40D is a solid step up from entry-level DSLRs and a fine user overall."

Good camera, but not good enough ey

And here is the Pentax K20D preview for you non Canon and Nikon heathens: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PentaxK20D/
K10D before it was great; every time I sold one I would get $40 petrol voucher... came in handy for my Tongariro trip

Oh and bitchin' photo Dan! Can't wait for next week when I finish my last exam so I can get out and do photos... Haven't used my wide angle in over two months :S
Old 22nd June 2008, 17:21     #1012
caffiend

lektronimo's print: Dark City. #1/25

lek: Looks superb on the wall and it's getting some great comments from people who come over - cheers again
Old 23rd June 2008, 04:48     #1013
Wibble

I just joined the D-SLR club. Picked up a D60 after much reading, and having a play with that and the 450D in the shop. I liked the feel of the D60 and the physical and on-screen interface made a lot more sense to me. Having a ball at the moment wandering and cycling around looking for shots.
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:39     #1014
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Can anyone recommend a good point and shoot camera for under $400? Just need something small and compact! Sony T70 looks good, but again there are just so freaking many!
Old 23rd June 2008, 19:40     #1015
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend

lektronimo's print: Dark City. #1/25

lek: Looks superb on the wall and it's getting some great comments from people who come over - cheers again
Wow killer man! While I'm at it thanks for everything - this seriously made my day... always figured I would be the one to have that picture framed and on my wall, but never got around to it... in fact, I'm quite bad with framing as all of my prints are in a box :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
Can anyone recommend a good point and shoot camera for under $400? Just need something small and compact! Sony T70 looks good, but again there are just so freaking many!
Thin compact or just cheap and average small compact?

Last edited by lektronimo : 23rd June 2008 at 19:42.
Old 23rd June 2008, 21:29     #1016
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Canon Ixus 70 or 75.

I have had my Ixus 70 for about 2 months of travelling and snapping so far, farkin great wee camera. Small enough to have in your pocket all the time.
The 75 is exactly the same inside except 3" screen instead of 2.5", but they have taken away the optical viewfinder. So the 3" screen uses your battery faster and you can't turn off the screen and use the optical if you get desperate. I haven't needed to yet as the battery life is awesome.

I got my 70 for $290 at the Auckland Camera shop, the 75 was $50 more. Another $100 odd for 4GB SD card and you are set!

Some snaps taken last week:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&id=549717055
(login not required)
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:05     #1017
caffiend

lek - no worries man . I bought a mat cutter and slide recently along with a whole swag of mat card, and I just get whatever frame suits from Art for Art Sake. It's quite a cool little rainy afternoon hobby - and something I should do more of with my own stuff really.

And I'll second the Ixus 75 call - my sister got one recently, and I've had a play with it. Pretty solid in terms of features and fairly compact considering. Image quality is really good, and the video mode is very, very good for a compact digital camera.

Last edited by caffiend : 23rd June 2008 at 22:08.
Old 24th June 2008, 00:39     #1018
Ritalin

Quote:
I have the Sony T70. I like it a lot, it's easy to use and takes some fairly decent shots. It's only really used as my frivolous-snap-shots type camera though, as I have a 400D for when I want to play photographer.

Here's some example snap shots I've taken with it.

(Except not, coz I don't know how to do that, coz I'm nubs. Ahem.)

Last edited by Ritalin : 24th June 2008 at 00:43.
Old 24th June 2008, 10:58     #1019
lektronimo

I'd say any Canon Powershot is pretty good value for money, but bit on the bulky side. Ixus 75 would be the next choice, but recently I had a play with couple of Sony models and they had an impressive build quality to them, however, not too sure about image quality (yet). As always go to a big store, take a few shots and print them out to see what looks really good to you.
Old 24th June 2008, 11:19     #1020
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

UK Photography laws (a.k.a bollocks):
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...ographer_stops

anyone know of NZ equivalent?
Old 25th June 2008, 14:19     #1021
crocos

Has anyone tried using StuffIt for storing their photos? Apparently it offers compression of JPEGs (and MP3s, etc)
http://my.smithmicro.com/stuffitcomp...mpression.html

Old 25th June 2008, 16:57     #1022
Dan

Quote:
Has anyone tried using StuffIt for storing their photos? Apparently it offers compression of JPEGs (and MP3s, etc)
http://my.smithmicro.com/stuffitcomp...mpression.html
Haven't tried it, but the 'whitepaper' that they provide basically says it replaces one of the lossless compression steps (huffman coding) used in jpg's and other media files with their own (unspecified) compression algorithm.

Looks like it works (around 25% smaller files), but it seems like a terrible idea for a bunch of reasons:
- Who wants all their pics/media trapped in stuffit archives which requires proprietry software to access
- I don't archive jpg's anyway, RAW/lossless formats ftw
- Jpg's are already tiny, storage is rediculously cheap
Old 25th June 2008, 17:18     #1023
crocos

... All of the above, and when you "decompress" it, it recompresses it with the huffman encoding, so wouldn't it lose even more quality?

Good to think that I was not going completely off base with what I was thinking around this.

Old 25th June 2008, 17:25     #1024
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
it seems like a terrible idea for a bunch of reasons:
- Who wants all their pics/media trapped in stuffit archives which requires proprietry software to access
- I don't archive jpg's anyway, RAW/lossless formats ftw
- Jpg's are already tiny, storage is rediculously cheap
What the man said.
Old 25th June 2008, 18:27     #1025
lektronimo

Quote:
... All of the above, and when you "decompress" it, it recompresses it with the huffman encoding, so wouldn't it lose even more quality?

Good to think that I was not going completely off base with what I was thinking around this.
Correct. Every time you do anything to a jpg and re-save it you lose quality - how much though depends on what you did. Still, it's the best format for small prints and general cross platform compatibility so it does have its uses. And Dan speaketh teh truth.
Old 6th July 2008, 04:43     #1026
crocos

Does anyone have any NZ recommendations on where I can get some nice-quality large prints created?

I'm in Wellington, so either welly-based or on-line preferred.

Old 6th July 2008, 11:23     #1027
lektronimo

^ check your email
Old 7th July 2008, 23:23     #1028
crocos

Cheers Lek, emailed ya back - was a somewhat disorganised day today, nothing really went to plan.

Old 14th July 2008, 23:16     #1029
dead goon

I wouldn't mind investing in a decent digital SLR.

Any recommendations?

beginner level really. something value for money.
Old 14th July 2008, 23:55     #1030
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead goon
I wouldn't mind investing in a decent digital SLR.

Any recommendations?

beginner level really. something value for money.
Nikon D60 twin lens kit deal. Small and awesome, plus both lenses have stabilisation, and you get a 2 gig card plus a Lowepro bag. Harvey Normans had it actually until today for $1399, so shop around.
Old 14th July 2008, 23:58     #1031
dead goon

Thanks mate. Looks good. I'm in the UK, so I might compare prices.
Old 15th July 2008, 01:37     #1032
dead goon

Prices seem pretty much the same in UK/NZ.

Does anyone know of any decent site that's an introduction to digital photography? I will google, but usually the best places are from word of type. (in the internet's case)
Old 15th July 2008, 09:44     #1033
SumJaun
Cogito Ergo Sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead goon
Does anyone know of any decent site that's an introduction to digital photography? I will google, but usually the best places are from word of type. (in the internet's case)
http://www.berniecode.com/writing/ph...phy/beginners/
Old 15th July 2008, 09:54     #1034
dead goon

legend,
just what i'm looking for.
Old 18th July 2008, 08:33     #1035
dead goon

Any other websites I should know of?

:D
Old 18th July 2008, 10:48     #1036
lektronimo

Yep, I learned everything when I started photography from Megapixel.net. Have a look at Photoanswers.co.uk for video tutorials/reviews and also buy the magazine (Practical Photography) since that is geared towards first time d-SLR buyers.

There are dpreview.com message boards, but involves more reading which could be daunting when you're starting. I also suggest you have a look at some camera clubs in UK, and possibly join Royal Photographic Society as they have some excellent workshops all the time. Lastly, take heaps of shots and post them here for some constructive criticism and general queries.
Old 18th July 2008, 23:48     #1037
dead goon

Thanks for that. I'm pretty stocked up now.

If only I could bring myself to buy the D60 :P
Old 19th July 2008, 18:56     #1038
MadMax
Stuff

picked up a 220ex for my g7 ... suddenly finding myself discovering new uses for the custom priority settings - not that i've used them much in the past. and having the flash tell me if the exposure was good enough with its own indicator is win.

i have a wedding to attend tonight. am currently playing with a piece of tissue taped across the flash lens

ettl is go!

totally stoked i got the g7 as opposed to one of the next ones up.

one minor issue: because the flash has 4AA batteries, if you're not careful the weight of the flash can flip the camera upside down on the neck strap

Last edited by MadMax : 19th July 2008 at 19:00.
Old 19th July 2008, 19:02     #1039
MadMax
Stuff

oh, and skin tone looks amazing with it
Old 26th July 2008, 11:59     #1040
MadMax
Stuff

http://www.eye.fi/ why would anyone bother with this? good luck uploading hundreds of 5meg+ images via wireless to your pc, or to your pc via the net if it's turned off.