Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 14th January 2004, 13:02     #1
SpikE

toxic algy killing dogs/birds wft is going on

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2782219a11,00.html

Kapiti residents are being warned not to take their dogs on to the beach after the sudden deaths of two Labradors from suspected poisoning.

Kapiti Coast District Council spokesman Tony Cronin said the dogs died yesterday after walking on the beach between Paraparaumu and the Waikanae estuary.

Both dogs began convulsing after their owners had returned home and died quickly, Mr Cronin said.

The deaths prompted the council to warn dog-owners not to walk their dogs on the beach, or at least to keep them on a lead.

This is not the first time the council has warned against walking dogs on the coast because of fears for their safety. In September 2002, dozens of seagulls and a dog died of an unknown illness. Another dog was seriously ill but recovered.

Despite Environmental Science and Research testing of the nearby Titoki Stream and a Massey University study into the seagull deaths, the cause of the problem was never identified, Mr Cronin said.

In 1998, six dogs died while walking along Waikanae River around Christmas. Their stomach contents were tested and Wellington Regional Council found they probably died from eating toxic algae on the river bank.
----------
so much for our clean green image

Last edited by SpikE : 14th January 2004 at 13:06.
Old 14th January 2004, 13:04     #2
fobski

no kapiti is just the ass end of the north island

all the shit goes out there

:P
Old 14th January 2004, 13:17     #3
Nine_of_Hearts

Re: toxic algy killing dogs/birds wft is going on

Quote:
Originally posted by SpikE

----------
so much for our clean green image

IMAGE being the operative word there.
Old 14th January 2004, 13:18     #4
leadinjector

people live in kapiti?
Old 14th January 2004, 13:23     #5
Reet

You do realize that a lot of 'clean green' things are natually dangerous and poisonous, nature's not all pink fluffy bunnies?
Old 14th January 2004, 13:30     #6
StN
I have detailed files

But, but, but the ice cream is so yummy. And the chilli cheese is good too.
Old 15th January 2004, 10:15     #7
curses

o_O

what fuck the
Old 15th January 2004, 10:28     #8
chiQ
Frag-muff

They didn't know what it was last night, but to be cautious had a warning out until a postmortem could be carried out in PN on the dog they talked about on the news. The possibility that it ate a jellyfish and was suffocated by swelling in the throat was mentioned, but they said until they know for sure they're assuming the water is dangerous.
Old 15th January 2004, 10:33     #9
Hooker

fuck the what
Old 15th January 2004, 12:11     #10
riven

Upside down

Quote:
Originally posted by Reet
You do realize that a lot of 'clean green' things are natually dangerous and poisonous, nature's not all pink fluffy bunnies?
you lie!

::cuddles the stinging jelly fishes:: ARGG!
Old 15th January 2004, 12:28     #11
markE

Shit no swimming for me this weekend I've booked a bach on that coast for the long weekend. Oh well I think I'll take the risk any way.
Old 15th January 2004, 13:58     #12
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally posted by markE
Shit no swimming for me this weekend I've booked a bach on that coast for the long weekend. Oh well I think I'll take the risk any way.
They showed two little girls swimming while they talked to the dog-owner on the beach. Just don't drink any seawater