Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 6th January 2004, 13:30     #1
Hooker

Question Mountain Biking - Trouble with vavle/pump

Yo,

Noticed that my tyres were a tad flat the other day, so I bought a pump.

The valve on the tyre is different to what I'm use to. So I went and bought a dual pump that could handle both types. I was told by a mate saying it was a high pressure valve or something.

Anyway, I was pumping away (hur hur) and the freakin pump fell apart, so I put it back together. However I'm having doubts about how I put it back together because I'm finding it near impossible to make the tyres go beyond a certain pressure.

Is it meant to be hard to pump up these tyres with the high pressure vavle?
Old 6th January 2004, 13:39     #2
Zag0r
C8H10N4O2

Devil grin

? O_o
you want em 35-40ish psi iirc.
i've always hated the goddamn hand pumps.
Old 6th January 2004, 13:50     #3
ala*

which one are u talking about?

neither of these are hard to pump up. if its too hard to pump, u either pumping it up too hard or you have a real shit pump. or u have the wrong end on ur pump for ur type of valve. some pumps are missing the bit in the middle that the schrader type needs to push the valve down, and that makes it extremely hard to pump.

presta valve
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/valveprc.gif

Schrader valve
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/valvesch.gif

Last edited by ala* : 6th January 2004 at 13:52.
Old 6th January 2004, 14:12     #4
Hooker

presta! that is the one
Old 6th January 2004, 14:24     #5
VERT

I take it you have a presta valve as this is often called high pressure as it is more comonly used on road bikes.

What you can do is get a little adapter for you presta valve to allow you to pump your tires at a service station (Schrader). This way you can messure how much pressure you put into your tire.
Old 6th January 2004, 16:21     #6
Geron1mo

It will be easier to just get new Schrader valve tubes. The Presta ones are a huge pain in the arse.

Also, avoid the pumps with the adaptor because, as you found, they don't hold up half as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zag0r
you want em 35-40ish psi iirc.
Depending on what you want to do with the bike. If all you do is go around town you could easily put them up to 60-70.
Old 6th January 2004, 17:00     #7
Zag0r
C8H10N4O2

Devil grin

well yah, was assuming downhill
Old 6th January 2004, 17:11     #8
damage

Quote:
Originally posted by Geron1mo
[b]It will be easier to just get new Schrader valve tubes. The Presta ones are a huge pain in the arse.
Not a idea if rim hole is Presta value because Schrader is much bigger - unless your planning to drill a bigger hole. Just buy a decent pump, double shot mini's work well but for correct pressure buy a track pump with a gauge.

Last edited by damage : 6th January 2004 at 17:13.
Old 6th January 2004, 17:37     #9
VERT

Quote:
Originally posted by Zag0r
well yah, was assuming downhill
This is not nessary the case, many downhillers will ride with a higher psi say 45 - 50, this reduces your risk of getting pinch flats which are common with this style of riding and no doubt you will have the wide/ type of tyres to grip as well as perhaps a full a suspension bike.
While I dont catagorise myself as a downhiller, I still do a lot of this type of riding (because its fun) I ride a Rocky Mountain Slayer Full Suspension bike with a 2.5 x 26 tyre on the front (for extra grip) and a 2.1 x 26 on the back, I run these tyres at 50 psi and my bike will grip to almost anything (except roots, but whatever grips to roots).

And like damage said if you want to run Schrader valve tubes drill out your rims to fit.
Old 6th January 2004, 18:10     #10
JohnT

Im a strange sort of rider, i like low tire presures, usually i ride with tires around 20-30 psi

I just find anything higher than 30psi the bike really handles like crap. But i guess it is a hard tail bike with crap front suspension.

On road I do pump up to 30psi. I havent had many problems with punctures although on crazy days i have riped the side wall of two rear tires . On my sisters bike (my bike frame broke) I use 2.2x26 for the rear, and 2.35x26 for the front. The front is the tire i tend to have the lower tire presure, rear i have higher.

I just gotta say, if your into your riding and havent tried night riding out, give it ago, it is so much fun, get a good set of lights too.
Old 6th January 2004, 19:45     #11
Slipstream

Quote:
Originally posted by VERT
This is not nessary the case, many downhillers will ride with a higher psi say 45 - 50, this reduces your risk of getting pinch flats which are common with this style of riding and no doubt you will have the wide/ type of tyres to grip as well as perhaps a full a suspension bike.
While I dont catagorise myself as a downhiller, I still do a lot of this type of riding (because its fun) I ride a Rocky Mountain Slayer Full Suspension bike with a 2.5 x 26 tyre on the front (for extra grip) and a 2.1 x 26 on the back, I run these tyres at 50 psi and my bike will grip to almost anything (except roots, but whatever grips to roots).

And like damage said if you want to run Schrader valve tubes drill out your rims to fit.
i have 55 psi on front and back, with my Scott FX30 fully, think i am running 26 x 2.25 all round and with the presta valves had no problems at all, my pump is a Topeak Mini DX great little pump, just does not fin on my frame
Old 6th January 2004, 21:40     #12
SHift

as far as i know, there arent many decent downhill tires that even recomend running over 50psi
Im currently running just over 20psi on each tire, but i wouldnt recomend doing so without a rather large tire and downhill tubes.

I also have a presta valve on my rear tire which has one of those little adapters screwed on.
Its been on for about 4 months and i havnt had to pump it up once.
Old 6th January 2004, 21:57     #13
Hooker

thx for the info guys

I haven't had to pump my tyres since I bought my bike, but I all I've down bike up the hill and do some is tracks. Now I want to ride it to work, but I want the tyres to have a lot more pressure before I give it a go.
Old 6th January 2004, 22:08     #14
Giblets

Isnt there a little thing on the presta valves which you have to unscrew before they can be inflated? or is that just to let air out?
Old 6th January 2004, 22:13     #15
SHift

yeah, you need to unscrew that little thing to let air out or in.

Hooker: Depending on your budget, if you do both mountain biking and a bit of road biking, it might be wise to grab a cheap second set of wheels with thiner and slick tires.
Riding on the road will wear down the read on your off rode tires quite fast depending on the compound.
Though if its not far to your work, it'd prolly just be cheaper to end up buying new tyres a little more oftern
Old 6th January 2004, 22:14     #16
Hooker

24km all up :>
Old 6th January 2004, 22:21     #17
SHift

hard to say...

guess give it ago... see how it is..

but road tires will make it easier as all the knobly bits on the off road tires slow ya down a bit

Last edited by SHift : 6th January 2004 at 22:25.
Old 6th January 2004, 22:27     #18
Mr Melon
My spoon is too big!

I just put a set of slicks on my mountain bike since i've only been really doing road riding on it, and the difference is pretty amazing I can go so much faster on the road with it now.. Don't really want to see what it's like in the wet though

It only takes like 5 mins to swap between offroad and road tyres too, so it's still easy enough to take it up and down the tracks around the place.

Last edited by Mr Melon : 6th January 2004 at 22:28.
Old 7th January 2004, 00:16     #19
Hooker

Sad

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Melon
I just put a set of slicks on my mountain bike since i've only been really doing road riding on it, and the difference is pretty amazing I can go so much faster on the road with it now.. Don't really want to see what it's like in the wet though
yea thought about getting some slicks, but in the mean time I will just pump the tires 'ard
Old 7th January 2004, 09:49     #20
DevilWTKC

Just got a new bike, my first one in about 12 years (geez things have changed a bit!). Managed to get a good deal on an Apollo LSX 1.2, adjustable front shocks and front disc brake. Those last two things were just stupid expensive the last time I had a bike!

Can anyone recommend some good trails/other random MTB areas around the (09)? Preferably shore? Nothing to scary yet, only just getting used to riding again. I am sore.
Old 7th January 2004, 10:38     #21
Invader Val

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Melon

It only takes like 5 mins to swap between offroad and road tyres too, so it's still easy enough to take it up and down the tracks around the place.
I got dual (T&C) tyres on mine - knobbly on the outside, slick in the middle .. and if I keep the tyre pressure high enough it's like riding on slicks
Old 7th January 2004, 11:10     #22
VERT

Quote:
Originally posted by DevilWTKC
Can anyone recommend some good trails/other random MTB areas around the (09)? Preferably shore? Nothing to scary yet, only just getting used to riding again. I am sore.
you guys have got that WoodHill mountainbike park
Old 7th January 2004, 11:14     #23
DevilWTKC

Ahh right, yes woodhill forest. Havent got towbar on car yet, so transporting bike is a problem, but ill get there. Riverhead is quite good as well I hear...
Old 7th January 2004, 12:07     #24
damage

Woodhill Website link for maps etc including Riverhead map.

http://www.bikepark.co.nz/
Old 7th January 2004, 12:18     #25
DevilWTKC

Quote:
Originally posted by damage

ooo tar
Old 7th January 2004, 13:25     #26
Furry Crew

Quote:

Pinch flats r sooo last century
Tubeless Tire yo!

ohh and presta valves r lighter....less rotating weight = teh bomb yo

Last edited by Furry Crew : 7th January 2004 at 13:39.
Old 7th January 2004, 15:25     #27
Geron1mo

Quote:
Originally posted by Furry Crew
Tubeless Tire yo!
Have you ever tried to fix a tubeless flat out the back of yonder? I wouldn't bother with those unless you are really serious (or get pinch flats constantly).
Old 7th January 2004, 15:33     #28
Geron1mo

is anyone keen?

Anyone keen to go for a bit of a ride through the Makara Peak MTB park (04) one weekend? More for a fun outing than a hardout race...
Old 7th January 2004, 16:10     #29
VERT

Tubeless tires are ideal for XC Racers as they are light but with the downside of costing you $$heaps$$ as for a proper setup you will need to get compatiable wheels as well ans they dont come cheap.

You can get a bottle of do it youself liquid stuff which I have heard works really well, but I understand it can be quite difficult and a mission to get working properly and complete the seals properly.

But like Geron1mo said I woundn't bother with them unless you were into serious racing.

as for weight difference between the 2 tubes this is very minimal.

As for a bit of a ride I would be keen Makara peak is all good

Last edited by VERT : 7th January 2004 at 16:19.
Old 7th January 2004, 18:37     #30
Furry Crew

U don't have to buy complete wheelsets anymore...u can take most any plain jane wheels and get some of these special rimtape kit and voala....instant tubeless wheels...

Last edited by Furry Crew : 7th January 2004 at 18:40.
Old 7th January 2004, 18:59     #31
Mr Melon
My spoon is too big!

Re: is anyone keen?

Quote:
Originally posted by Geron1mo
Anyone keen to go for a bit of a ride through the Makara Peak MTB park (04) one weekend? More for a fun outing than a hardout race...
Hey man, I'll be keen to do that some time, and I'm sure I could drag along some flatmates too.. e-mails in my profile.
Old 7th January 2004, 22:00     #32
SHift

Quote:
Originally posted by damage

holey shit!!!
fuck i cant wait to get back to nz now
bout time nz got somthing like that happening
theres thousands of mtbers in nz
suprised it didnt happen sooner
Old 8th January 2004, 00:06     #33
VERT

Quote:
Originally posted by Furry Crew
U don't have to buy complete wheelsets anymore...u can take most any plain jane wheels and get some of these special rimtape kit and voala....instant tubeless wheels...
Quote:
You can get a bottle of do it youself liquid stuff which I have heard works really well, but I understand it can be quite difficult and a mission to get working properly and complete the seals properly.
Sorry I should have pointed out that this is what you use for your plain jane wheels, but it is a hell of a mission to get working right.

Have you tried this stuff Furry and got it working I'm quite interested to hear what you did as I know a few people that have had great difficulties with this stuff and its not the kinda thing you wanna fuck up at $160 a bottle.

As for mountainbikers, yeah there are heaps of us, come and have a look over at www.vorb.org.nz this is an excellent site to talk bikes with quite a few of us from Welly as well as all over the country and some from overseas. Always plenty of rides etc organised through vorb too.
Old 8th January 2004, 12:14     #34
SHift

Ill have a look at my magazines when i get home.
They had the Sams NoTubes stuff in there which they rated 5/5.
It claimed that they were more resistant to pinch flats than intertubes.
Also there was an article about fixing punctures with tubeless tires. If its a little split, which most of the time it is, all you do is squeese the tire on either side of the hole so that you can see the inside of the rubber, put a little glue in there, and let go, so that there is glue inside the splt then just wait 5 mins or so and your as good as new.
Sounds a lot easier than fixing a hole in an intertube, having to remove the tire, mess around with patches and so forth.
Old 9th January 2004, 10:38     #35
Hooker

hey guys - thanks for the info, got a valve converter and it works great! only $3 too!

Bought some slicks as well $50 all up and I rode to work today for the first time...I had a fkn head wind the whole way! :/

Hopefully I will have a tail wind on the way home
Old 9th January 2004, 16:31     #36
VERT

Quote:
Originally posted by Hooker
I had a fkn head wind the whole way! :/

Hopefully I will have a tail wind on the way home
nah it never works like that
Old 15th January 2004, 16:08     #37
SHift

Just been reading though the latest issue of Dirt...
and it says that the 2006 World Champs are going to be heald in Rotorua!!!!!!!!

Fuck i cant wait for this!
going to be fucking unreal!

pitty its still 2 years away D:
Old 15th January 2004, 17:57     #38
VERT

yep that's true, should be all good.

We got the Nationals comming up next on the 31st Jan, 1st Feb at Tunnel Gully (a bit further along from the wind turbine, Welly), the downhill track is looking really mean.

for info look here http://www.mountainbike.co.nz/nzmba/...wellington.pdf