NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 4th March 2014, 21:31     #1921
Yoda

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. Liked the approach to AI.
Old 5th March 2014, 10:04     #1922
chiQ
Frag-muff

https://www.goodreads.com/series/111552-a-fury-of-aces

A nice local lad wrote these. I got a sneak preview of an as-yet unpublished story recently too. Good stuff.

Steve also made the swords for The Hobbit.
Old 5th March 2014, 14:02     #1923
Pitmonster

Meat Eater by Steven Rinella
I be working my way through both his books and TV series at moment

If you have any inkling about hunting, outdoors and cooking of game or even traditional meats, then get hold of this stuff

A++
Old 5th March 2014, 21:52     #1924
Ajax
Architeuthis

Currently reading, according to fluctuating interest levels:

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: essays by David Foster Wallace.
Pavane, by Keith Roberts.
Sometimes a Great Notion, by Ken Kesey.
Doctor Sleep, by Stephen King.
Old 7th March 2014, 10:47     #1925
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Reading the first Alex Versus novel. The first page contains a very deliberate nod to the Dresden Files and it's hard to shake the feeling that so far it feels very derivative. Just got to hope it doesn't turn into a massive self indulgent wank-fest like the Iron Druid chronicles which I gave up on.
Old 12th March 2014, 11:47     #1926
eliot

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie Then on to Words of Radiance, once it finally arrives from BD.
Old 16th April 2014, 22:00     #1927
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I'm liking The Luminaries. Very much like Deadwood - in fact, if they end up making a mini series, I think a lot of the monologues will end up being just like Swearegen talking to the Indian in the box.
Ok - well, that took a while. Deadwood crossed with a Tarantino like jumbling of flashbacks - timestamped by astrological signs. The one bit I didn't get cleared up involved the potential twin incest bit.
Old 12th May 2014, 21:20     #1928
Kryten

Just finished Way of Kings. Man, Sanderson can write some damn good stuff. I'm looking forward to Words of Radiance but after WoK, I need a break!
Old 13th May 2014, 03:07     #1929
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I recently found a motherlode of paperback Gold and Silver Age SF in the secondhand books section of a community market in a small country town not far from here, so I'm slowly pillaging it weekend by weekend. Last week I nabbed A. E. Van Vogt's "Space Beagle" compilation for $3.
Old 14th May 2014, 16:47     #1930
creamcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
Just finished Way of Kings. Man, Sanderson can write some damn good stuff. I'm looking forward to Words of Radiance but after WoK, I need a break!
Shiiiiit, I didn't even know Words of Radiance was out
Old 15th May 2014, 14:28     #1931
eliot

It is paced better than WOK, and is overall a better book. So awesome.
Old 22nd June 2014, 12:14     #1932
Spink

Started trying to read The Fault in Our Stars but it just seems so masturbatory with a pointlessly expanded vocab to show off how smart John Green is. I cringed through about 15 minutes, does it get any better?

Finished Words of Radiance and that was some good shit, the "How do you poop?" bit was sort of weird but the rest of it was worth it. Makes me wish for some kind of wiki that showed expanded lore outside of the books, so much shit going on in that man's head with magic systems. I wanna know what a bondsmith is!
Old 22nd June 2014, 17:19     #1933
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
Makes me wish for some kind of wiki that showed expanded lore outside of the books!
Check out coppermind.net, looks like it may be what you're after.
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:32     #1934
blur^

New Harry Dresden book out 'Skin Game'
Devoured it in one evening

....Parkour!

Last edited by blur^ : 23rd June 2014 at 14:34.
Old 25th June 2014, 05:50     #1935
creamcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
New Harry Dresden book out 'Skin Game'
Devoured it in one evening

....Parkour!
Oh Shiiiiiii *buys*
Old 29th June 2014, 14:51     #1936
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
Started trying to read The Fault in Our Stars but it just seems so masturbatory with a pointlessly expanded vocab to show off how smart John Green is. I cringed through about 15 minutes, does it get any better?
It got better after it ended the first part of her swooning over gus
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:43     #1937
chiQ
Frag-muff

Reading Crown of Renewal, by Elizabeth Moon. Given that I have zero time for religion it's weird how many god botherer books I enjoy. I always was partial to fantasy though.

Also reading Footsteps in the Dark by Georgette Heyer. A good Famous Five style murder mystery.

I just finished my mother's latest drafts of her second and third novels. She just keeps getting better and better.

Pimp-X, I will need to get you to check out the third one once a new draft comes through, as it's very tech-heavy, and though I have corrected all the gaffs I can see, it needs a more savvy eye than mine.
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:55     #1938
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Keen for.
Old 9th July 2014, 21:44     #1939
Kryten

Started on Words of Radiance. Brandon Sanderson has quickly become my second favourite author after Ben Aaronovitch and I'm dreading finishing WoR because although the guy can WRITE FAST, he's still not fast enough to crank out another one of these in time for me to carry on with the series.

On that though, there's a new Peter Grant book due in later September. Sweet.
Old 10th July 2014, 09:57     #1940
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13569581-blood-song

Medieval Fantasy, easy to read, entertaining.

On a similar vein, The Red Knight by Miles Cameron.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

A somewhat grittier and heavier read than your typical fantasy book. Nothing as dark as Joe Abercrombie but good none the less.
Old 10th July 2014, 09:57     #1941
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

Double post.

Last edited by Native : 10th July 2014 at 10:01.
Old 10th July 2014, 18:47     #1942
Luse

Quote:
Started on Words of Radiance. Brandon Sanderson has quickly become my second favourite author after Ben Aaronovitch and I'm dreading finishing WoR because although the guy can WRITE FAST, he's still not fast enough to crank out another one of these in time for me to carry on with the series.
Agreed, I just finished the Mistborn books last week and then realised the second part wasn't complete :/

I'm 1 book deep in Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy now. Not too bad.
Old 11th July 2014, 15:59     #1943
creamcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luse
I'm 1 book deep in Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy now. Not too bad.
You lucky bugger/poor cunt
Old 14th July 2014, 09:02     #1944
Charismo'

read the first robin hobb trilogy, couldn't bear to read anymore after that. it's okay for awhile but then it just gets repetitive/depressing "oh it's all my fault" all the time... yawn.

Mistborn on the other hand, omfg what a brilliant trilogy. And words of radiance was fantastic as well, really looking forward to the next book. Unfortunately, Sanderson, as part of his creative process, likes to write books and short stories from different series in between each book from his current main series. Can't knock the man for it but it's painful waiting so long. I won't get thrown off though because of wait time, it's very rare to find anything decent these days.

Who is Ben Aaronovitch btw? Kryten you said you like him better than BS - what kind of style does he have? where should one start reading?
Old 14th July 2014, 09:15     #1945
Spink

Been reading some Jules Verne, I dunno why but I love discovering antiquated uses of words that are still in common use, but no longer mean the same thing.

Read 20,000 Leagues and about to finish around the world. Anyone recommend anything else that might be considered good that does similar things without doing them to such excess that it's incomprehensible.
Old 14th July 2014, 09:19     #1946
Kryten

Aaronovitch writes an urban fantasy series about a young black copper discovering that all is not as it seems in London. Honestly, to say much more would be spoiling the surprise awesome. The first book is called Rivers of London in the UK and Midnight Riot in USA, because AMERICA.

The audiobooks are fantastic as well, they're read by this guy who does such a good job.

I've not started Mistborn yet Got that to look forward too still.

Robin Hobb used to be top of my "day one, no questions" list, but I cooled off on that a bit after the Shaman series. I'm up to date with the Rain Wilds books but I'm taking the next book under advisement.
Old 14th July 2014, 15:52     #1947
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Quote:
Aaronovitch writes an urban fantasy series about a young black copper discovering that all is not as it seems in London. Honestly, to say much more would be spoiling the surprise awesome. The first book is called Rivers of London in the UK and Midnight Riot in USA, because AMERICA.
++, as they say.
Old 14th July 2014, 17:46     #1948
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Finally read A Canticle for Liebowitz, gonna slit my wrists now
Old 14th July 2014, 17:49     #1949
Lightspeed

I am now anxiously interested (if such a feeling is possible), having briefly read the premise...
Old 19th July 2014, 00:32     #1950
Charismo'

Started reading the first law books after reading this thread the other day, I really like it.

He has a nice style of writing, very descriptive but without being drab about it - it's really punchy and the pace is good so far.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:38     #1951
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Finally read A Canticle for Liebowitz, gonna slit my wrists now
I read that quite recently. Great book.
Old 19th July 2014, 11:12     #1952
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
I read that quite recently. Great book.
Same here, couple months ago.
Wikipedia says: "Miller's follow-up work, Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman, was published posthumously in 1997." anyone read that?
Old 31st July 2014, 20:27     #1953
StN
I have detailed files

Fifty Sheds of Grey. I mean, Wellington Airport - what else is there to do?

At least I LOL'd a bit, ergo:

Quote:
It was very hard and she pulled and pulled, then finally it came off.

Then she reached for the other gumboot.
Old 1st August 2014, 22:04     #1954
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Fifty Sheds of Grey. I mean, Wellington Airport - what else is there to do?

At least I LOL'd a bit, ergo:
Not even the rancid boredom of waiting at an airport would drive me to read that.
Old 25th August 2014, 12:25     #1955
[BT]Monza

The Martian by Andy Weir

I'm about quarter way into this and really enjoying it. Astronaut gets left behind on Mars in the not to distant future, presumed dead. Not surprised it is getting the movie treatment, with Ridley Scot and Matt Damon on board already.
Old 25th August 2014, 12:36     #1956
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Not even the rancid boredom of waiting at an airport would drive me to read that.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ast-weeks.html
Old 6th September 2014, 10:27     #1957
chiQ
Frag-muff

That sounds much more my speed.
Old 6th September 2014, 16:39     #1958
crocos

Amusingly it's on track to outsell the original.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 7th September 2014, 19:08     #1959
Kryten

Ancillary Justice was a slow burn / fast finish for me. There was a lot of backstory to get through but once that was dealt with it finished off very nicely.

Now reading The Golem and the Jinni - the clash between Jewish and Muslim cultures in early 20th century New York is really sucking me into the story.

Monza - The Martian is next. I'm hoping for a price drop from Amazon, but given how many reviews it's gotten it seems unlikely!
Old 9th September 2014, 15:45     #1960
blur^

New FitzChivalry book by Robin Hobb 'Fool's Assassin'
Actually made me cry at one point