NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 21st March 2012, 13:46     #1601
Spink

why are books I've never heard of suddenly books that everyone else already has heard of and read when their movie comes out.

e: and also why did nobody talk about them until they became movies.

Last edited by Spink : 21st March 2012 at 13:48.
Old 21st March 2012, 15:42     #1602
Kryten

With the power out yesterday I ripped through Hunger Games in a single day (bit a rarity for me, given electronic distractions and kids) and immediately moved onto the sequel (used some of my precious remaining phone battery to do so!). Absolutely loved the first one and can't wait for the movie, enjoying the second just as much so far.

I've been trying to read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and, well, it's hard work, isn't it?
Old 21st March 2012, 15:55     #1603
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
I've been trying to read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and, well, it's hard work, isn't it?
U R SO RIGHT, TWILIGHT WAS WAY EASIER,
Old 21st March 2012, 15:58     #1604
Kryten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
U R SO RIGHT, TWILIGHT WAS WAY EASIER,
That's just being mean

Meanie.
Old 21st March 2012, 16:37     #1605
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
No.

Sorry dude, I inhaled it in very short order, with no effort.
Old 21st March 2012, 16:49     #1606
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
No.

Sorry dude, I inhaled it in very short order, with no effort.
Ditto

You'd better stick to Stephenie Meyer, Kryters

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 21st March 2012, 17:22     #1607
Kryten

Sonofabitch. Ok, back to it after I get done with this Hunger Games trilogy.
Old 21st March 2012, 17:35     #1608
crocos

If you want something hard to read (despite having won two Philip K. Dick awards), try Rudy Rucker's The Ware Tetralogy. (4 books: Software, Wetware, Freeware, Realware)

Brilliantly plotted, but a lot of the terminology and "lingo" seems to have been done for the sake of it rather than because it adds to the story. I keep getting fucked off with it, so I'm only about 1/4 of the way through the 2nd book - 31% of the tetralogy according to the Kindle.

Old 21st March 2012, 17:50     #1609
crocos

Oh yeah... Currently reading the Tormay Trilogy, book 2 - The Shadow at the Gate.

For a light & fun take on the superhero genre in an original universe, I recommend James Maxey's "Nobody Gets the Girl", but don't bother with it's sequel "Burn Baby Burn" - not nearly as fun as the former, nor as well written. Plus Nobody is a complete tale anyway.

Old 22nd March 2012, 01:02     #1610
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
I kept waiting for the awesome but it never came.

Meh from me.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:15     #1611
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You're on drugs, that book is awesome.

The thing that blows my mind is that it was Clarke's first novel. She wasn't even a writer, she just read TLOTR and went "fuck yeah, let's write a fantasy novel" and WROTE THIS FUCKING BOOK.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:26     #1612
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Took her 10 years to write apparently.

I enjoyed it but I certainly didn't go "OMG THAT'S THE Time's Best Novel of the Year RIGHT THAR!".
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:39     #1613
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jeez, I did. I read it and thought that it was like nothing I'd ever read before - or like lots of things I had read before but synthesised into an entirely new thing - and I've read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi over the years.
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:33     #1614
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
I just finished The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I enjoyed it. I'm sure the film won't compare to the book, so I won't see it unless I hear good things from people who've read it previously.
I'm about to read this. Going by the synopsis it sounds like the bastard progeny of Battle Royale and Stephen King's The Long Walk. Hope there's something original in there.
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:37     #1615
chiQ
Frag-muff

I think Running Man is an apt comparison, though not the film.

Spoon1: Crazy! I was just wowed by it, and actually kept asking in book stores for years afterward, to see if she had written a sequel.
Old 22nd March 2012, 13:20     #1616
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
I'm about to read this. Going by the synopsis it sounds like the bastard progeny of Battle Royale and Stephen King's The Long Walk. Hope there's something original in there.
yeah that was my reaction, with "The Handmaid's Tale" thrown in.
Old 23rd March 2012, 07:53     #1617
Kryten

Finished Catching Fire at an absurdly early hour this morning. Never has the "Buy Now" button for a sequel been pressed so hard or so quickly, but I refrained from staying up even later because at some point I have to be a grown up.

My wife is a terribly slow reader and is *finally* about to finish Dance with Dragons (yes, she started it way back on release day) and the Hunger Games series is going to be the first thing I recommend she starts once she's done, despite a years backlog of Kindle bargains and other purchases I've loaded onto her Kindle.
Old 27th March 2012, 14:24     #1618
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Ok, so I seem to have developed a furry-like love for Bartimaeus. Is The Ring of Solomon as strong as the other three?

Btw, LOVED the trilogy so much
Old 27th March 2012, 17:47     #1619
Yoda

How did I miss Dune? O_o

First book down on ipad3. I seem to remember comments along the lines of "read only the Frank Herbert Dune books and nothing after"?
Old 27th March 2012, 17:53     #1620
LordP

How does the iPad3 do as a book reader? What app do you use?
Old 27th March 2012, 18:01     #1621
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP
How does the iPad3 do as a book reader? What app do you use?
It's fantastic. I often read late when the wife finds a light annoying, so I wanted a backlit reader. New screen is excellent to read off.

Use the Kindle app - since then it syncs my position with my android reader on my phone. Amazing how often that's handy - means I've always got my current book in my pocket.
Old 27th March 2012, 18:05     #1622
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
"read only the Frank Herbert Dune books and nothing after"?
Yes. Brian Herbert isn't a writer, merely a writer's untalented progeny.

Old 27th March 2012, 18:33     #1623
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
How did I miss Dune? O_o

First book down on ipad3. I seem to remember comments along the lines of "read only the Frank Herbert Dune books and nothing after"?
Read only Dune and nothing after. It's all downhill after Dune, and anything else you read from there on - including Herbert's own sequels - will only taint your memory of the awesome.
Old 27th March 2012, 20:43     #1624
Deadmeat

Quote:
Use the Kindle app - since then it syncs my position with my android reader on my phone. Amazing how often that's handy - means I've always got my current book in my pocket.
Didn't know about that, that busts my main reason for not having bought a kindle.
Old 27th March 2012, 20:44     #1625
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Read only Dune and nothing after. It's all downhill after Dune, and anything else you read from there on - including Herbert's own sequels - will only taint your memory of the awesome.
This.

Also, Kindle reader FTW. My Kindle and phone are always on the same page, so to speak, and when I eventually get an iPad that will be too.
Old 27th March 2012, 21:07     #1626
tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
An ex girlfriend insisted she had read the first three dune books and they were _awesome_.

I quibbled.

Turns out she meant the way that the first physical book of dune is 3 "books".

Hilarity ensued. Maybe even some make up sex.
Old 27th March 2012, 21:10     #1627
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This. Dune Messiah isn't awful, it's not even bad, but it doesn't compare to Dune.
Old 28th March 2012, 00:06     #1628
chiQ
Frag-muff

After recent discussion I am re-reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Awesome, but I had forgotten so much. I read it when it was first published, and I feel like I'm reading a book I've never read, to some extent.
Old 28th March 2012, 10:17     #1629
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Agreed, however I submit to you, sir, that the Dune Encyclopedia is also expertly written (not by Frank) and worth a read.

Brian's novels are best suited to propping up wobbly tables.

Last edited by Ajax : 28th March 2012 at 10:19.
Old 31st March 2012, 15:00     #1630
Deadmeat

The hunger games trilogy felt like it should have been 1 book, it sort of feels like some editor or publisher or someone got hold of it and suggested splitting it into 3 to make more money.
Old 31st March 2012, 22:00     #1631
Kryten

It makes sense once it's filed under "Young Adult" though.
Old 16th April 2012, 10:45     #1632
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Just started this one - the copious amount of footnotes do make it a pain on a Kindle keyboard
Old 16th April 2012, 11:37     #1633
creamcheese

Just started Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell myself after reading this thread. I'm enjoying it so far.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:14     #1634
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
Just started this one - the copious amount of footnotes do make it a pain on a Kindle keyboard
Needs more Touch. I'm so glad I got mine now. Terry Pratchett on a non-Touch would suck!

Recently read Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Awesome book. It's chicklit, but a feelgood book for anyone really.

Last edited by chiQ : 16th April 2012 at 12:16.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:24     #1635
TD
Anas Latrina

Re-reading Wheel of Time. Just started book 5...
Old 16th April 2012, 12:35     #1636
crocos

Just starting book 3 of the Bartimaeus Trilogy

Old 16th April 2012, 13:43     #1637
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Reading book 2 of The Aeons’ Gate series by Sam Sykes. Rather enjoying it, the series is nothing special so far but his writing style makes it good fun.
Old 16th April 2012, 14:09     #1638
Ajax
Architeuthis

Getting cracking on Ad Infinitum: Book 13 of the Cynical Publishing saga.
Old 16th April 2012, 20:13     #1639
rubberchicken

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Noticed I owned a copy, thought I might as well read it.
Old 17th April 2012, 14:50     #1640
ilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
This. Dune Messiah isn't awful, it's not even bad, but it doesn't compare to Dune.
Read Dune then skip ahead to God emperor, the books in between are a bit dull.

After that hunt down the dosadi experiment, his most unsung book imo.