NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 1st January 2008, 11:46     #441
Fred

Just finished 'Stealing Light' by Gary Gibson. Felt very similar in style and tone to Alastair Reynolds and Ken MacLeod. Quite an entertaining read about people squabbling over an interstellar derelict that might have a functioning FTL drive. The catch is the only race in the Galaxy with FTL isn't keen on anyone else getting it and they may have committed genocide to secure their technological stranglehold...

I'll be keeping an eye out to see what else he does as I really enjoyed this one.
Old 1st January 2008, 11:57     #442
rubberchicken

Darwin Awards Omnibus. Damn people do some stupid shit.
Old 1st January 2008, 13:51     #443
Ajax
Architeuthis

I was given 'The Mammoth Book of Best New Sci Fi #20' for Xmas. It's a short fiction anthology with some absolute crackers - in particular a story called 'Nightingale' by Alastair Reynolds. I can highly recommend this collection to fans of the short stuff.
Old 2nd January 2008, 04:26     #444
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
pfft, slacker

incidentally, I believe Philip Pullman is the only author that's ever won an 'adult' prize for literature (Whitbread) based on a 'children's' book (quotes used because who the hell knows what is what nowadays)
Goodness me, I must have been tired. What I meant to say is that he's the only author that's won the Whitbread (an 'adult' fiction prize) with work that most consider to be approximately children's fiction.

Anyways, can't wait to see the movie.
Old 2nd January 2008, 09:17     #445
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

done quite a bit of reading in the last couple of weeks while sitting on the beach doing absolutely nothing!

The Camel Club - David Baldacci

Good read although it sort of fell to bits at the end , like he was told to wrap it up or they would start killing kittens.

Die Trying - Lee Child

An interesting leading man in Jack Reacher , who knew military police were so rambo esc

Thomas Mann - Death in Venice and im currently reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky which is fraptastic thus far

Last edited by wugambino : 2nd January 2008 at 09:21.
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:38     #446
TB

On The Edge, My Story:Richard Hammond. Not what I expected at all.
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:07     #447
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
Die Trying - Lee Child

An interesting leading man in Jack Reacher , who knew military police were so rambo esc
read 'em all!!!
He's even done one, The Enemy, set when Reacher was still an MP (just after Operation Just (Be)Cause in Panama)
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:06     #448
darkness

currently re-reading Peter F Hamilton's NightsDawn trilogy. One of my favourites ever.

Books:
The Reality Dysfunction
The Neutronium Alchemist
The Naked God

Truely great series. They are thick books, but progress quite rapidly.
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:40     #449
Gentl e

Wing Leader, by 'Johnnie' Johnson (D.S.O., D.F.C.)

First person and sometimes hilarious account of Spitfire pilots in WWII.

He mentions and praises every NZ Spitfire pilot (legends like Alan Deere) he flies with, so I'm going to see if can find any books on them - any suggestions welcome.
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:39     #450
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness
currently re-reading Peter F Hamilton's NightsDawn trilogy. One of my favourites ever.

Books:
The Reality Dysfunction
The Neutronium Alchemist
The Naked God

Truely great series. They are thick books, but progress quite rapidly.
agreed. good content combined with an easy writing style turns your eyes into paper chewing machines.
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:18     #451
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB
On The Edge, My Story:Richard Hammond. Not what I expected at all.
in a good or bad way?
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:03     #452
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness
The Naked God
Am about 1/2 way through at the moment. I've enjoyed all of his stuff so far.

Also reading Turning Back the Clock by Umberto Eco which I got for Christmas.
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:25     #453
dead goon

Lolita by Vladamir Nobokov
Old 7th January 2008, 15:55     #454
LordP

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
The Illuminatus! Trilogy - Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
Old 7th January 2008, 16:07     #455
StN
I have detailed files

^^ The dolphin did it...
Old 7th January 2008, 16:23     #456
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy. Clancy can be a bit hit and miss with his writing style (Patriot Games anyone?) but so far I'm not finding this one to be too cringe-worthy.
Old 8th January 2008, 15:16     #457
[BT]MikeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Inspired by World in Conflict, I'm currently reading Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising.
Pretty fucking solid so far.
If you liked Red Storm Rising you can also try Team Yankee by Harold Coyle.

I liked this book a great deal, it is a VERY intresting look at company level armour engagements.
Old 8th January 2008, 17:47     #458
[Malks] Pixie

Interesting combo there LordP :-)

Pixie
Old 8th January 2008, 19:56     #459
Rom
Your pants are like my pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino

The Camel Club - David Baldacci

Good read although it sort of fell to bits at the end , like he was told to wrap it up or they would start killing kittens.
That's a shame. I started with The Collectors having never read any of his books. It was an enjoyable read though was taken aback by the fact that it had two story lines that crossed and only one was concluded. Fortunately for me I just read it last week and the conclusion is in his latest Stone Cold which I've just finished reading. It tied up the loose ends and again had two story lines that crossed and this time he ended both.

Last edited by Rom : 8th January 2008 at 20:00.
Old 8th January 2008, 20:18     #460
chiQ
Frag-muff

I'm reading The Bourne Identity for the first time. It's a bloody good book; very different from and better than the movie, be that ever so great. The differences are more a matter of minor detail and period-related stuff than plot changes, though there are some biggies in that area. Just this first book would be a couple of films if they hadn't changed it though. It's bloody epic.
Old 8th January 2008, 21:05     #461
[Malks] Pixie

Actually there's a TV mini-series which is pretty faithful to the first book - it's staring Richard Chamberlain if I remember correctly. The films are a good retelling of the idea, but don't come anywhere near to the books in my opinion. All three of them are great (and I don't usually read that sort of stuff) with the last actually being the best myself.

Pixie
Old 8th January 2008, 21:40     #462
LordP

I hadn't actually considered the significance of the two until you mentioned it...

Saw the God Delusion in the Best Sellers section at the library, and the Illuminatis Trilogy in the Recently Returned section, and picked up both.

Coincedence? Or Conspiracy? Hmmmmm.....
Old 8th January 2008, 22:53     #463
fidgit
Always itchy

I've recently tried reading both Lolita and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

However, I've found I have a real mental block when it comes to reading books when I've already seen the movie.

I'm certain Fear and Loathing is a good book, every says so, but so far all I can recall is 'drugs drugs drugs, drugs, drugdrugdrugs, drugs.'
And Lolita's a slow-going story about a self-confesed, unashamed paedophile.

So, to make sure I don't ruin any more books, I'm re-reading His Dark Material before seeing the movie. I'd forgotten (or didn't pick up on it the first time perhaps) how much hatred there is for The Church in The Subtle Knife. It's gonna be a ball of laffs when that movie gets made!
Old 9th January 2008, 01:00     #464
Ritalin

My two most recent reads were 'Lolita' and 'On the Edge: My Story' by Richard Hammond.

Lolita is an excellent, excellent piece of literature. It's beautifully written, even though the pacing is quite slow and deliberate. I think the slow pace is quite intentional though, and important to the feel of the novel as you reach the climax. A very good read despite there really being no sympathetic characters.

On the Edge wasn't really what I was expecting either, but I did enjoy reading it. It's entirely about the crash, and Hammond's recovery from the serious brain injury he sustained. There are anecdotes from his childhood, and from when he started on Top Gear, but they're really there to help illustrate the backstory. A large chunk of the middle section is written by Mindy, his wife, who stayed with him in the hospital in the weeks after the accident.
I found the book really interesting and quite moving, but it's probably quite a bit different from Jeremy Clarkson's books, for example.
Old 9th January 2008, 13:36     #465
Bent

A history of New Zealand - Micheal King
The Hollow Men - Nicky Hager

Both are fascinating and are completely altering my view of the country I live in.

I also read God Is Dead by Ron Currie Jr just before the holidays, which is quite good but you could really tell it's an USA citizen writing about the rest of the world.
Old 9th January 2008, 13:46     #466
Lykaios

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
So, to make sure I don't ruin any more books, I'm re-reading His Dark Material before seeing the movie. I'd forgotten (or didn't pick up on it the first time perhaps) how much hatred there is for The Church in The Subtle Knife. It's gonna be a ball of laffs when that movie gets made!
If you've read the book, the movie is not worth watching. It's shit.

If you haven't read the book, the movie is not worth watching because you wouldn't have a fucking clue what's going on half the time. Also, did I mention it's shit?

Currently reading "The Butlerian Jihad". What a crappy piece of writing O_o
Old 11th January 2008, 14:52     #467
Wally Simmonds

I've nearly finished The Reality Dysfunction. Man, I can't believe I've snobbed this guy! Couldn't put the damn thing down.
Old 11th January 2008, 15:18     #468
Mr Melon
My spoon is too big!

Just finished the Howard Marks Book of Dope Stories, and The Fourth Estate by Geoffrey Archer.

Enjoyed both, particularly the former!
Old 11th January 2008, 15:19     #469
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy. Clancy can be a bit hit and miss with his writing style (Patriot Games anyone?) but so far I'm not finding this one to be too cringe-worthy.
Ok so I take that last part back, the dialogue between Jack Ryan and his aides is just ick. Too much "POTUS thought" and "TresSec" mused and "BIRDSEYE hated". FFS just call them by their names and stop trying to be so damned pretentious. And oh my gosh there is some not so subtle pro-America propaganda in this one, if I can be bothered I might find a passage and quote it for you.
Old 11th January 2008, 15:20     #470
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Simmonds
Man, I can't believe I've snobbed this guy!
Author?
Old 11th January 2008, 15:34     #471
Wally Simmonds

Peter F Hamilton
Old 11th January 2008, 15:46     #472
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
So now I'm digging through "The Salmon of Doubt" - bits scavenged from the Macs of Douglas, and assembled in some kind of order that makes sense. There's some Zaphod, and some Dirk Gently - and I'm not sure yet if the two end up tying everything together. No word yet on the stuff this guy found being part of it.
BASTARD! I was just getting into that, and it stopped. Bloody inconvienient of him to die halfway through the book.
Old 11th January 2008, 20:05     #473
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
Ok so I take that last part back, the dialogue between Jack Ryan and his aides is just ick. Too much "POTUS thought" and "TresSec" mused and "BIRDSEYE hated". FFS just call them by their names and stop trying to be so damned pretentious. And oh my gosh there is some not so subtle pro-America propaganda in this one, if I can be bothered I might find a passage and quote it for you.
Clancy started going nuts with his pro-US, ethnocentric BS around the time of his writing exactly what you're reading. IIRC, some of the descriptions of Chinese characters in that book were pretty borderline also.
Old 11th January 2008, 22:39     #474
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
in a good or bad way?
I have about 20 pages to go....its hard to say. I liked it, it was a very, very, very different perspective of a severe brain injury victim.
Old 19th January 2008, 04:22     #475
dead goon

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
Old 19th January 2008, 06:14     #476
xor

Just finished: The forever war by Joe Haldeman
Now reading: A perfect spy by John LeCarre
Old 19th January 2008, 08:14     #477
andre

Just finished Decline of the English Murder and other essays by George Orwell (mixed bag of mostly harsh and pessimistic critiques on a variety of subjects, not always, but mostly, interesting).

Now reading Necessary Illusions by Noam Chomsky - great for anyone interested in reading some well researched and insightful essays on media control of public opinion in so-called democratic societies.
Old 19th January 2008, 12:50     #478
Hooker

Reading 1984. I don't read much and also a very slow reader (cause of the former), but I'm loving it so far - very throught provoking and each page I read I have to stop and have some deep thought
Old 19th January 2008, 13:04     #479
dead goon

^ good book.
Old 19th January 2008, 13:25     #480
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Clancy started going nuts with his pro-US, ethnocentric BS around the time of his writing exactly what you're reading. IIRC, some of the descriptions of Chinese characters in that book were pretty borderline also.
Clancy went off the deep end when his wife left him. I quite liked everything up to and including "Executive Orders", but "Rainbow Six" and everything since has been trash.