NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 9th October 2007, 10:26     #361
Markh

Just finished reading Terry Pratchett - Making Money. Not really a stand out book in the series, but a worthwhile read none the less.
Old 9th October 2007, 10:46     #362
[Malks] Pixie

"Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep" - Phillip K Dick
Just started - will be finished soon, great book - been a while since I've read it.

Soon to be followed by, "The Difference Engine" by Bruce Sterling and William Gibson (two of my all time favorite authors) - yet again have read it years ago so looking forward to rereading it.

Pixie
Old 13th October 2007, 22:10     #363
Macca@Work

some crappy ass thread on nzgames..
Old 5th November 2007, 19:46     #364
Sp0nge

a book by one of the alleged NZ terrorists (although she's american) Valerie Morse:
"Against Freedom - The War on Terrorism in everyday New Zealand life"

http://www.rebelpress.org.nz/assets/againstfreedom.pdf
Old 5th November 2007, 21:27     #365
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Finished "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" the other day. Now on to "Sabriel" and that's proving good too.
Old 5th November 2007, 21:45     #366
LordP

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - A trilogy in five parts (hardback)
Old 5th November 2007, 22:05     #367
Draco T Bastard

Presently Robin Hobb's Liveship trilogy.
Old 5th November 2007, 22:13     #368
duckmannz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
Presently Robin Hobb's Liveship trilogy.
That's a good series. I'm currently suffering through her 'Soldier Son' series. Talk about pulp fiction
Old 5th November 2007, 22:13     #369
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Just finished Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained by Peter F Hamilton. Currently reading Island in the Sea of Time by S. M. Stirling.
All good stuff so far.
Old 5th November 2007, 22:27     #370
Kryten

If you need or want to pick up any new fantasy author this year, you cannot go wrong with Joe Abercrombie and/or Scott Lynch. I just got finished with "Red Seas Under Red Skies", the second of Lynch's "Gentlemen Bastard" series and it's absolute awesome-sauce.

I've got dibs on Patrick Rothfuss's "Name of the Wind" at the UH booktorium, a book which by all accounts hits all of fantasy writings high notes and none of the lows. Just waiting on the library to finish "processing" it, whatever that means.
Old 6th November 2007, 02:16     #371
Nemises

hmm..good timing, just in teh amrket for a new read...
Scott Lynch eh..right..to the bat-waterstones!
Old 6th November 2007, 08:28     #372
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP
The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - A trilogy in five parts (hardback)
Don't you just love the gilt edged leather bound biblicalness of it?

Last edited by StN : 6th November 2007 at 08:30.
Old 6th November 2007, 09:03     #373
[Malks] Pixie

River of Gods by Ian McDonald...
ISBN 0-7434-0400-9

Enjoying it an awful lot - basically it's a cyberpunk book set in middle asia (mostly India) with a backdrop of Hinduism, zero-point energy, AI and space exploration. Some great writing, really interesting take on the future and nicley rounded characters.

If anyone out there likes a bit of cyberpunk (Gibson, Sterling, Williams etc) then I'd definatly suggest they pick up a copy and check it out.

Pixie
Old 6th November 2007, 09:26     #374
IoriDyson

kingdom of fear by hunter s thompson... hahaha he's so funny!
Old 6th November 2007, 09:29     #375
LordP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Don't you just love the gilt edged leather bound biblicalness of it?
Ooh, I don't have that version - pretty
Old 6th November 2007, 13:44     #376
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmannz
That's a good series. I'm currently suffering through her 'Soldier Son' series. Talk about pulp fiction
Yeah, probably her best IMO but I can't really say I'm a fan of hers. All of her stories that I've read seem to start off well but have a lame finish. Almost as if she had to hurry to finish or wanted to finish on the third book.
Old 7th November 2007, 22:38     #377
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmannz
Understood - I read the first one in that series and am not going to read the others.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 7th November 2007, 22:40     #378
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
All of her stories that I've read seem to start off well but have a lame finish.
While perhaps a little too Deus Ex Machina-ish, I didn't find the ending to the Farseer trilogy too bad. Agree with the other series' so far.

Old 7th November 2007, 23:12     #379
armourking

Eisenhorn Omnibus - Dan Abnett
Old 8th November 2007, 08:52     #380
flic
Dee Hast Mish

You Gotta Dream by Conrad Hilton

Written in 1957 when he was in his 60's. All about how he built the hilton Hotel empire. Quite a fascinating man

He'd be very disappointed with his great granddaughter Paris I'd say.
Old 8th November 2007, 09:29     #381
IoriDyson

skanks are a sign of modern living
Old 8th November 2007, 18:02     #382
Fred

I just inhaled, in a day, John Scalzi's 'The Ghost Brigades' a followup novel to 'Old Mans War'. Both are really good Heinlein-eque novels that provide a solid light military science fiction read. Well worth the time to track down.
Old 9th November 2007, 01:11     #383
crocos

Currently reading the following three books:

"She" - H. Rider Haggard
Haggard (the author) died in 1925, and likewise the book is set in around 1890-ish. It's a tale of inheritance and immortality, which I've been finding fascinating.

"Gradisil" - Adam Roberts
Well known for his high concept Sci-Fi, Roberts has crafted a story of a fledgling nation establishing themselves in orbit, independent of any government, and the reaction of the ground-based bureaucracies.

"The Historian" - Elizabeth Kostova
Wow - this book is excellent. This takes a look at Vlad Ţepeş, Son of the Dragon (literal meaning of "Drakulya" - which is then anglicized into Dracula) from a "factual history" point of view of a daughter looking back into her father's past in a world where that self-same evil old bastard (Vlad the Impaler) actually DID become immortal. The includes some brilliant research around the countries and times involved (though the good folks on it's Amazon page bleat on about some fairly minor inaccuracies around dates of when things happened in an obviously fictitious novel ). An ingenious and compelling reimaging of Stoker's definitive work - well worth the read.

Last edited by crocos : 9th November 2007 at 01:13.
Old 9th November 2007, 02:00     #384
Nemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
...or Scott Lynch. I just got finished with "Red Seas Under Red Skies", the second of Lynch's "Gentlemen Bastard" series and it's absolute awesome-sauce.
Good call so far Kryters..only 3 chapters into The Lies of Locke Lamora , but allready love the writing style and comedy
Old 9th November 2007, 07:33     #385
Heresy
yawn.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet - Salman Rushdie. Thoroughly enjoying it, his grasp and use of English is probably the best I've encountered. A pleasure to read.
Old 9th November 2007, 09:29     #386
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Currently reading the following three books:

"She" - H. Rider Haggard
Haggard (the author) died in 1925, and likewise the book is set in around 1890-ish. It's a tale of inheritance and immortality, which I've been finding fascinating.
Can be found here

He seems to have been a fairly prolific writer.
Old 9th November 2007, 11:34     #387
Painty

Stephen Ambrose: D-Day

An account of the D-Day landings from veterans on both sides. And includes British and Canadian (not just the yanks)
Interesting read and I now have a lot of respect for the guys who did this. Casualty rates in the first hour were around 50%.

Best tribute I can give is reading about it.
Old 9th November 2007, 13:30     #388
Fred

Just finished 'Saturn Returns' by Sean Williams.

Far future tale of Galactic Civilisation having collapsed with a quasi-soldier having been restored from a partially destroyed archive he had left out on the Galactic fringe. Not only are there gaps in his memory but the people reviving him got his gender wrong and there are suggestions he might be deeply involved in the collapse of civilisation - deeply enough that people seem keen to kill him again.

It is clever but mildly unsatisfying. It reminds me a bit of Vernor Vinge's 'Fire Upon the Deep' with differing strata of human society operating at differing time scales with gestalts, hive minds, replicated personalities that meet periodicly to share experiences and the odd singular human entity. The universe created is fun but by concentrating on the story of the hero revisiting the decisions he made and possibly making a new choice it never resolves the bigger picture issues. Who did trigger the Slow Wave that killed the hive mind Forts? By the end of the story we simply don't know. It seems poised for a second book to run with things but there is no indication it is part one of anything...

Still it had enough draw to get me to read it in under a day - which is usually the sign of a compelling read.
Old 9th November 2007, 17:34     #389
hsh

That stupid bible studies thread got me reading "The Spanish Inquisition" by Cecil Roth. Fun stuff and a must read for anyone contemplating a bit of torture, burning of heretics and the like.
Old 10th November 2007, 20:53     #390
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

attn Mabd

...and other history nerds.

If you don't alread have it, grab "The First Man In Rome" by Colleen McCullough. Yes, Colleen "The Thorn Birds" McCullough. Man oh man, this book has knocked me on my butt it's so good. I can only compare it to "A Game of Thrones" as a series opener.
Old 19th November 2007, 23:40     #391
Kryten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
...and other history nerds.

If you don't alread have it, grab "The First Man In Rome" by Colleen McCullough. Yes, Colleen "The Thorn Birds" McCullough. Man oh man, this book has knocked me on my butt it's so good. I can only compare it to "A Game of Thrones" as a series opener.
Thanks for the tip Si, I've reserved it at the library.

Just started reading Patrick Rothfuss's debut novel, "The Name of the Wind" - about 1/4 of the way through and it's awesome so far. Here's the "blurb" from the back of the book (which is incidentally verbatim from the book itself):

Quote:
"I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

My name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me".
Old 20th November 2007, 01:50     #392
Draco T Bastard

Just finished reading the Chronicles of Magravandias by Storm Constantine. Good plot line but not overly well written. First part of the first book absolutely sux but it picks up after that so overall not a bad read. Has an excellent ending.
Old 20th November 2007, 10:20     #393
LordP

I've finished HHGTTG in five parts, so on the look out for something more - First Man In Rome and Name Of The Wind look like good candidates (plus Cuckoo's Egg by Cliff Stoll again, once it's been returned at the library)
Old 20th November 2007, 10:41     #394
OY636

Finished War and Peace, took a break. Now reading The kite runner - Khaled Hosseini. So far so good.
Old 20th November 2007, 17:33     #395
Rangoon Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon Attack
just started reading hyperion - dan simmons
I'm now up to The Rise of Endymion ... for some reason that book was actually hard to find in Wellington, had to order it from Fishpond :S
Old 28th November 2007, 22:39     #396
LordP

Just finished 'The Name Of The Wind', and of course, now I want more. Next part isn't due until 2009 though
Old 28th November 2007, 22:47     #397
[Malks] Pixie

Just started reading "Dark Benediction" by Walter M Miller Jr. One of the Sci-fi masterworks series. A good collection quite old school sci-fi stories.

Hadn't read any of his stuff before and quite enjoying it.

Pixie
Old 28th November 2007, 23:00     #398
Ajax
Architeuthis

Pixie: check out 'Non-Stop' by Brian Aldiss (SF Masterworks collection) - it's fantastic.

Recently finished 'Chickenhawk' by Robert Mason - a blood-curdling, testicle-shrinking account of what it was like to be a Huey pilot in the 'Nam.

Now embarking on 'Collapse' by Jared Diamond.

Last edited by Ajax : 28th November 2007 at 23:01.
Old 28th November 2007, 23:06     #399
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Pixie: check out 'Non-Stop' by Brian Aldiss (SF Masterworks collection) - it's fantastic.
Yep read it - not my favourite Aldiss but still pretty damn good.

Pixie
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:40     #400
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
I just inhaled, in a day, John Scalzi's 'The Ghost Brigades' a followup novel to 'Old Mans War'. Both are really good Heinlein-eque novels that provide a solid light military science fiction read. Well worth the time to track down.
Based on this have just read both of them, most enjoyable.