NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 2nd June 2007, 13:50     #1
silva^

Video streaming quality fucked after reformat

I did a reformat yesterday. Prior to it, when watching streaming video @ nba.com , the quality was great, no blockyness, smooth to watch, and of a high quality.

Now after the reformat however, the quality has turned to shit, its all blocky, it stutters when theres any action going on, it definitely appears to be of a shittier quality than before the format.

Any ideas what my be causing this? Obviously I have something setup different to pre-format, but I've tried all I can think of, I have the same version of media player running, same IE & Firefox, same flash plugin , same codecs, settings appear the same etc, yet nothing I try works. What else could it be???

FYI nba.com uses windows media player plugin in firefox, and I believe it uses active x controls in IE
Old 2nd June 2007, 14:20     #2
Deff
I felt shocked

I'd check in this order...

Chipset Drivers were current
Video Drivers current
Got the correct codecs
Old 2nd June 2007, 14:26     #3
Helious

^^^ Thats what I was thinking
Old 2nd June 2007, 14:30     #4
Trigger
Laserman

have you installed the GART driver?
Old 2nd June 2007, 14:39     #5
silva^

Just installed latest via chipset. latest ati drivers were already installed. No difference. I tried IE7, media player 10 no luck. It is crap in both IE and firefox.

Enabled/disabled windows media video acceleartion in the ati control center, no difference.

gart driver appears to be for nforce chipsets? I have a via.

as for codecs, I've tried the fourCC pack, installed xvid. I dunno what else is even needed, surely installing vlc/media player should be enuf. I don't know what codec nba.com uses, it just says it requires specs far below mine, and media player. It asked to install an activex control when I first ran IE which I did.
Old 2nd June 2007, 14:44     #6
silva^

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2007/index.html

click on any of the video clips in the broadband section on the right, preferably one with a bit of action/highlights etc , it tends to stutter worse when theres action going on.

Tell me if its going bad for anyone else?
Old 2nd June 2007, 15:01     #7
FireStorm
Holmium

Nope, it's smooth and good quality. I'm using IE 7 and Vista. If it's slow due to buffering, I just pause it for a few seconds and watch from the beginning. No issues what so ever.
Old 2nd June 2007, 15:11     #8
silva^

FUCK. thats what it used to be like for me ! It's not a buffer issue because I can pause it for like 10 minutes, load the entire thing, and it still runs like a dog, it really is terrible, almost like dialup quality looking, back when streaming was first being introduced. It looks like REAL PLAYER!
Old 2nd June 2007, 15:51     #9
MadMax
Stuff

check your motherboards site for a complete list of drivers
www.windowsupdate.com will provide newer ones

is it only streaming video? is it only from that site? what about www.tvnz.co.nz

check network drivers and even disable offloads in the nic properties (thanks blizzard )
Old 2nd June 2007, 15:55     #10
Axident

Smooth here. Did you previously have any of the extra MS codec packs installed? There are some that aren't insalled by Mediaplayer but I can't think why a commercial site would be using those.

DiVX, etc shouldn't have anything to do with it.
Old 2nd June 2007, 16:05     #11
silva^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axident
Smooth here. Did you previously have any of the extra MS codec packs installed? There are some that aren't insalled by Mediaplayer but I can't think why a commercial site would be using those.

DiVX, etc shouldn't have anything to do with it.
The only microsoft "codec" I can ever remember downloading at any point was some hotfix for playing 1080p or "hi def" video, that would have nothing to do with it.

I dont think its a motherboard driver issue because prior to the reformat I was still using the bog standard drivers that came on the cd with the motherboard (which is about 2 years old now).

and streaming on tvnz.co.nz is just as terrible, (and I'm sure it used to be better there too).
Old 2nd June 2007, 18:28     #12
silva^

Problem "may" have been solved. It appears increasing the network speed in windows media player makes it stream at a higher quality, however after running a speed test @ speedtest.net, I am only getting 300kbps downstream today, telecom is totally fucked it would seem. But the setting WAS on autodetect which would explain why it was trying to stream at such a shit arse quality.

So thanks telecom, you are once again to blame.
Old 2nd June 2007, 23:33     #13
MadMax
Stuff

fucking computers! get teresa in here!