Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 2nd June 2010, 22:10     #1
StN
I have detailed files

The new dawn

Not a bad looking jersey - better than that bloody Waratahs thing!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/n...get-new-jersey
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:16     #2
PhX

wow, that is well preddy
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:57     #3
fixed_truth

Very Maori looking
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:17     #4
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Reminds me of the Warriors heritage jersery from this season, but I like this one better
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:00     #5
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That is fucking sweet. The NZ Maori kit always looks better than the All Blacks gear.
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:33     #6
a-tech

Pretty over these off colour patterns on shirts tbh.

It is a lot better than 99% of the football world cup ones though.
Old 19th June 2010, 11:09     #7
ZoSo

Stupid fucking numbers all came off last night :/ That's pretty shocking really.
Still, good win for the Maori!
Old 20th June 2010, 03:02     #8
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

The design isn't obvious enough when they're on the field though
Old 20th June 2010, 20:34     #9
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
Stupid fucking numbers all came off last night :/ That's pretty shocking really.
Still, good win for the Maori!
Yes, fucking piss poor that the number fell off, it may have been a ploy though..hard to penalize the big brown guy that was punching someone with no numbers to give it away..
Old 23rd June 2010, 21:17     #10
Deadmeat

Rolling mauls are the stupidest thing in rugby, how can having 5+ players offside be legal.
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:33     #11
herp

Completely disagree about rolling mauls. Playing in the forwards and getting a good roll on his fucking tops.
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:50     #12
Deadmeat

Players aren't allowed to block attackers from a kickoff, you can't run around behind your team mate to block defenders, to me rolling mauls don't stack up.

I'll agree that forwards look bloody impressive when they get a roll on, but i'd rather see them get some pick and go, bouncing backs in tackles or ripping it up at the breakdown (i'm sad Hore is missing from the ABs for the sole reason i love watching him do this).
Old 24th June 2010, 00:06     #13
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Rolling mauls are the stupidest thing in rugby, how can having 5+ players offside be legal.
wat
Old 24th June 2010, 00:18     #14
Deadmeat

Do they speak english in wat?
Old 24th June 2010, 00:24     #15
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Players aren't allowed to block attackers from a kickoff, you can't run around behind your team mate to block defenders, to me rolling mauls don't stack up.
So we'll get rid of Scrums then as well, because that doesn't stack up either right? If you do that you then have to get rid of rucks too because you can't block the ball with a body in front of it.
Old 24th June 2010, 00:44     #16
Deadmeat

In both those cases the ball is on the ground and to a degree directly contestable. A rolling maul is the only time you can use your own players to block access to the ball carrier in 'running' play, what about it makes it ok and the two examples I gave not ok?
Old 24th June 2010, 00:59     #17
herp

Only difference between a rolling maul and a scrum going forward is that one player controls it with his feet whilst another controls it with his hands. A no.8 controlling the ball with his feet at the back of the scrum is not directly contestable, just the same as a player holding the ball out for his halfback on the ground with 5 forwards infront of him is not directly contestable.

Regardless, I don't think you understand how a rolling maul works. It is not like the NFL where he has blockers before he goes in for the tackle. Hence why your 'can't block when taking the ball off the kickoff' argument rings false. The player with the ball goes in for the tackle and is the first point of impact with the opposition. If he is held up (or he takes the lineout) then players who join the maul can strip the ball of him and keep it in the maul as it moves.

As the maul rolls and *breaks* it is the ball carrier who intiates contact with the opposition and tries to set up the maul again by turning and presenting the ball to his teammates who then strip it and move it towards the back.
Old 24th June 2010, 01:31     #18
Deadmeat

The Maori won ball from English scrums a couple of times tonight, doing so got them a try, seems pretty contestable. Turnovers from driven over rucks happen all the time. The difference is if a maul comes under threat the ball carrier just runs away (unless he's really stupid and gets caught) so there is no chance for a contest.

I understand how rolling mauls work, I just don't like them.
Old 24th June 2010, 05:56     #19
Phrack

If you're defending a maul, and you manage to tie the ball up, you win the ball if they can't recycle it. If you stop the maul moving twice, and they don't use it, you win it. You drive the maul out or play, you win the ball.

If the player breaks off, then generally the rest of the forwards don't realise and he is left isolated, so some decent defense would mean a turnover is likely.

Seems pretty contestable to me. Rolling mauls are just not seen often now since the new ELV's allow you to pull most mauls down in the first instance.

If the other team can setup and keep a rolling maul going, then good on them. There is a much higher chance of it breaking down and costing the attacking team.

Last edited by Phrack : 24th June 2010 at 05:58.