yem

Upside down Radio NZ election debates

Linkage for those interested..

Leaders debate w/ Don Brash & Helen Clark
Post-debate analysis
Old 20th August 2005, 15:08     #2
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

thanks dude. how do you record mp3 while its streaming btw? never figured that out.

anyone happen to have video links to the new national/labour tv ads? cant be arsed watching tv to see them.
Old 20th August 2005, 15:34     #3
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

chur
Old 20th August 2005, 16:01     #4
Mark98

Quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Seb
anyone happen to have video links to the new national/labour tv ads? cant be arsed watching tv to see them.
National ads etc. are here
Old 20th August 2005, 16:10     #5
Farmer Joe

haha, Don Brash got owned.
Old 20th August 2005, 16:52     #6
yem

Quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Seb
how do you record mp3 while its streaming btw?
Straight MP3 streams are easy - just pipe the content into a file (eg wget -q -O- http://95bfm.co.nz:8000/stream112 > some.mp3). For National Radio, I use a dlink fm tuner gadget and a couple o' scripts to record as wav, then encode to mp3. RNZ will be streaming soon, but in some ugly asx type format I expect.

There's another debate airing on Tuesday (recorded in Auckland today IIRC). Maybe another one with the minor parties too.. I forget.

FJ: I can just picture his minders banging their collective heads on the table after he finished a sentence with ".. when we sell kiwibank.". haha
Old 20th August 2005, 18:03     #7
ipee

What a mis-match!

I only listened to half the debate because I couldn't stand the beating Clark was handing Brash anymore.
Old 20th August 2005, 18:16     #8
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Yeah, she owned him on the "iwi kiwi" thing as well. She is too damn quick for him. If he doesn't improve significantly by the 1 on 1 TV debates, she is going to destroy him.

The most interesting thing will be the impact on the polls though...
Old 20th August 2005, 18:23     #9
scr
SO'S YOUR FACE!

was it shown on sky news?
Old 20th August 2005, 18:33     #10
Cheeps

i think they got a national only crowd pretty much. Surprised it wasnt actually done in remuera rather than wellington. Funny how brash has to make excuses and no actually point out facts.
Slightly off but.
Was funny when rodney hide came into work. He didnt impress me at all (not i'd vote for them in the first place) and wouldnt answer why he wanted the party vote to be national. I tried askin him questions but he didnt try very hard since i expressed i was voting labour as soon as he asked me.
Old 20th August 2005, 19:11     #11
Cheeps

bah too late to edit.
But listening to it, brash seems to be owning himself just as much as helen does too hahah.
Old 20th August 2005, 19:20     #12
::Shocker

Thanks for putting these files up, yem
Old 20th August 2005, 20:04     #13
ipee

I think this could be a brilliant strategy by the National party allowing their leader to debate Helen Clark. The sympathy vote alone might be able to swing this election National's way.

Well done National
Old 20th August 2005, 20:40     #14
Nambio

is there a video of this? i have so much trouble just listening to audio these days...
Old 20th August 2005, 21:16     #15
markE

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...a14095,00.html nope Helen didn't want it on tv. Obviously a good decision if she carved him up.
Old 20th August 2005, 22:42     #16
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally posted by markE
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,...a14095,00.html nope Helen didn't want it on tv. Obviously a good decision if she carved him up.
How do you figure? All sky coverage would have added would have been those snooty nosed bastards that think they're too good to listen to a state funded broadcaster and insist on buying their news. But at least they'd get to see the pwning.

Hmm come to think of it, those people are more likely to be National voters anyway.

That must have been why.
Old 20th August 2005, 22:52     #17
yem

muh

They might have figured out some way to incorporate a "worm" into the coverage. Christ, I hate that thing.
Old 20th August 2005, 23:09     #18
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally posted by yem
They might have figured out some way to incorporate a "worm" into the coverage. Christ, I hate that thing.
That's a good point. Nothing like being told which participant in a debate you're suppoesd to like more.
Old 20th August 2005, 23:22     #19
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally posted by fidgit
That's a good point. Nothing like being told which participant in a debate you're suppoesd to like more.
Exactly. All we heard in 2002 was how the worm loved Peter Dunne, and then voila, United Future win 12% of the votes (or thereabouts). I know they say that they've achieved something the past three years, but I don't for the life of me know what that 'something' is.
Old 21st August 2005, 13:02     #20
MoP

".. brash has a birthday coming up"

muahahahah.. PWNED got a good lol from that
Old 21st August 2005, 13:26     #21
crocos

"all I want for my birthday is to win the election"
Old 21st August 2005, 17:15     #22
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

The National TV ad which emulates the "Thank you very very much" Roses (?) chocolate ads is fantastic...!
Old 21st August 2005, 17:17     #23
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Quote:
Originally posted by chiquelet
Exactly. All we heard in 2002 was how the worm loved Peter Dunne, and then voila, United Future win 12% of the votes (or thereabouts). I know they say that they've achieved something the past three years, but I don't for the life of me know what that 'something' is.
this is why some people shouldnt be allowed to vote....

they base their vote on a superficial 30 min debate.

:P
Old 21st August 2005, 17:26     #24
Russian

muh

Thank's yem, sounds good so far.

I just wish they had most of these debates in studios without these SOBs going YEAAAAH for tax cuts and BOOOOOOO for cuts in healthcare and education.

YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO NIMRODS.

PS: Does it scare anyone else that National will take this $7b surplus and turn it into a $2.5b defecit in 4 years?

Last edited by Russian : 21st August 2005 at 17:27.
Old 21st August 2005, 22:49     #25
Farmer Joe

^^ Yeah but we'll get $20 a week more!!!!!!!111
Old 21st August 2005, 23:09     #26
Moo Redux

Old 22nd August 2005, 04:16     #27
Etacovda

Quote:
Originally posted by Russian
Thank's yem, sounds good so far.

I just wish they had most of these debates in studios without these SOBs going YEAAAAH for tax cuts and BOOOOOOO for cuts in healthcare and education.

YOU CAN'T HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO NIMRODS.

PS: Does it scare anyone else that National will take this $7b surplus and turn it into a $2.5b defecit in 4 years?
its happened before.

My analysis of NZ politics - national gets power, fucks everything up, labour gets into power, fixes it all, gets out again, nationals back in, repeat cycle...

Fantastic debate though, worth listening to.

Last edited by Etacovda : 22nd August 2005 at 04:17.
Old 22nd August 2005, 08:14     #28
MoP

yep. that cycle has been happening pretty much since forever..

/me does remember something useful from 5th Form History
Old 22nd August 2005, 16:17     #29
FULLCYCLE

Thanks Yem! this looks great.. just wondering if you still have the original wav files, and whether you would be able to encode a 320kb mp3 for me ? I would pay you for this, I am a (amatuer) music producer and wish to sample some of this.
Old 22nd August 2005, 16:41     #30
yem

I'm afraid the WAV files are disposed of after encoding - I keep a rolling archive and the wavs just take up too much space. I can get you the intermediate, unedited 128k MP3 if that's any use?

2005_08_19-ElectionDebate1.mp3 (100,786,139 bytes)
Old 22nd August 2005, 16:58     #31
Torka

I don't bother with the televised stuff anymore after seeing a few attempts over the past couple of years. They remind me of what Jon Stewart said on Crossfire about being theatre rather than debate.
Old 22nd August 2005, 19:11     #32
yem

Morning Report mini-debate: Education
with Trevor Mallard, Bill English, Rodney Hide, Metiria Turei.

A group discussion really. With people who hate each other. heh.
Old 22nd August 2005, 19:50     #33
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Quote:
Originally posted by Torka
I don't bother with the televised stuff anymore after seeing a few attempts over the past couple of years. They remind me of what Jon Stewart said on Crossfire about being theatre rather than debate.
The TVNZ ones should be better this year, becasue of the Charter.

Also the TV3 one I saw this year was miles better then last time in 2002. Campbell has taken off his 'mikehosking' hat...
Old 22nd August 2005, 20:43     #34
yem

anyone watching the tv1 debate now? have the crowd been drinking? they're shouting down the speakers - drowning them out. /me fetches tazer
Old 22nd August 2005, 20:47     #35
Painty

doesnt clark look ugly. Someone seems to have overdone her makeup...too white/grey.

Looks nothing like her airbrushed picture which looks more like her daughter.
Old 22nd August 2005, 20:58     #36
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

helen clark ....daughter.....??

hehehe! thats a funny thought
Old 22nd August 2005, 21:13     #37
ipee

I thought Brash did a lot better this time around......well, that was until they got to the coalition question.

The highlight for me:

"....they have machineguns..." LOL! Almost as good as "you forgot Poland".

And whoever allowed audience participation for this debate deserves to be shot. It got so bad that I was struggling to hear what Clark and Brash were saying. Clark did well though considering she was shouted down for most of the debate.
Old 22nd August 2005, 21:15     #38
scr
SO'S YOUR FACE!

Thumbs down

worst debate ever. having a partisan crowd is so pointless and stupid. tvnz seems to persist with it for some reason.

brash was looking so frustrated at times.
Old 22nd August 2005, 21:18     #39
DMZ Funnel Web

Quote:
Originally posted by scr
worst debate ever. having a partisan crowd is so pointless and stupid. tvnz seems to persist with it for some reason.

brash was looking so frustrated at times.
Yup, it was shit. Leave the fuckin crowds out.
Old 22nd August 2005, 22:26     #40
yem

I'll take the worm over those fuckwits. Look, the natural murmurings from an audience is fine, and actually not a bad thing for a debate. It needn't go as far as the farcical US presidential debates. But that was just ridiculous. Producer should have made em STFU at the first ad break, so we can only assume that's the environment TVNZ wanted