Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 29th June 2003, 21:18     #41
sid

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon
*When Thorne was sinbinned and absent from the game... who noticed?
When Thorne was sinbinned the All Blacks noticed immediatly, with France turning a ball back inside to where Jerry Collins at no. 8 would have been covering in defense.. had he not been in the no. 6 position in the scrum.

I thought the way the All Blacks held out in the last 10 minutes a man down was, as the English like to put it, somewhat heroic. All the momentum was with France but we ended up rampaging down the feild and securing the win in the dying stages with a penalty to Carter. Great stuff.

And what's all this bullshit about how the All Blacks used to THRASH everyone? Never, ever ever, in the history of the game have the All Blacks been able to thrash everyone. Never. We used to be the best because we knew how to win. It wasn't often pretty, but the All Blacks of old used to grind out oppositions through forward-orintated play. Have most of you forgotton that the win against Wales was an all-time record win?

Personally, i'm very happy with how the AB's are going. When we attack, other sides give away a large amount of penalties to slow us down. (offsides/hands in ruck). I was glad to see the All Blacks try and kick every possible goal on offer. It was a test match, if we have to kick the opposition out of the game through penalties, then so be it. England get crowned champions when they kick teams out test matches, but the All Blacks get shat on for doing the same thing (even though we scored three scintilating tries) :/

France are a world-power in rugby and have been for quite some time, a test-match win over them is great, no matter how it comes. They gave us an awesome test leading into the Tri-Nations, which is definitly what we needed after the Wales showing.

Last edited by sid : 29th June 2003 at 21:19.
Old 29th June 2003, 21:21     #42
Cinclant

Quote:
Originally posted by Cinclant
I think Divine is doing well, he was the premier halfback this super12.
lol sp :/
Old 29th June 2003, 21:24     #43
Cinclant

Quote:
Originally posted by sid
When Thorne was sinbinned the All Blacks noticed immediatly, with France turning a ball back inside to where Jerry Collins at no. 8 would have been covering in defense.. had he not been in the no. 6 position in the scrum
Was this when France scored under the posts? (can't remember). The scrum collapsed that's why there was no inside coverage as Carlos was marking the second five.
Old 30th June 2003, 01:17     #44
0L0

Quote:
Was this when France scored under the posts? (can't remember). The scrum collapsed that's why there was no inside coverage as Carlos was marking the second five.
He's talking about the second try (about the 70 minute mark). Both French tries were under the posts or pretty damn close.
Old 30th June 2003, 09:28     #45
Cinclant

That's the one I meant. The scrum collapsed.
Old 30th June 2003, 11:33     #46
TnT

I'd just like to shoot Hamish McKay, the man who gave us such winning catch phrases as "Downtown Tony Brown", and "Who let the Doug out", comes up with Joe 'You Rock' Rokocoko, Hamish, stop trying to be a professional wrestler and just call the fucking game.
Old 30th June 2003, 11:44     #47
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally posted by TnT
I'd just like to shoot Hamish McKay, the man who gave us such winning catch phrases as "Downtown Tony Brown", and "Who let the Doug out", comes up with Joe 'You Rock' Rokocoko, Hamish, stop trying to be a professional wrestler and just call the fucking game.
yhea that annoys the fuck outta me to , he is such a gimp. Im glad he's stoped going " O AH UMANGA " every time tana get the ball.
Old 30th June 2003, 14:37     #48
sid

Quote:
That's the one I meant. The scrum collapsed.
From memory our scrum was shunted back (duh.. we were missing Thorne), but a scrum going backwards or collapsing only catches the tight five in, the number 8 can get out of the scrum pretty much every time.
The second the ball gets passed from the scrum the no. 7 & 8 come across in cover defense wherever the ball goes. If you watch the replay you will see McCaw is the only cover coming across, but he doesn't make it in time. Collins would have had he not been blindside.
Point being - we missed Thorne big time when he was sin-binned, and we were exposed on defense immediatly. Only a fool would think otherwise.

Old 30th June 2003, 15:06     #49
Cinclant

Yeah they were meant to come over and cover, but they couldn't because they were all on the ground. It was a good move by the French.
Old 30th June 2003, 15:46     #50
sid

Lightbulb

It was a good move by the French because they exposed the gap left in our defense by Thorne's absence.

Trust me, only the tight five get caught in collapsed scrums. That's numbers 1-5. 6, 7, and 8 are on the back of the scrum. McCaw wasn't on the ground, and Collins was on the other side of the scrum. A number 8 would have broken off the scrum the second the ball was moved (which was well before the scrum collapsed) and come across in cover.
Old 30th June 2003, 15:53     #51
Cinclant

I think we're arguing the same thing actually :>