NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 29th June 2003, 16:02     #1
lambchop

Nz lose direct entery route to soccer WC

just heard it on the radio .... after the poor recent showings .. FIFA have taken it away.

ouch.
Old 29th June 2003, 16:36     #2
Gambit

haha
all i have to say to nz soccer is shame

i should be ashamed though lol
im gunna be in that team one day
>.<! u will see
Old 29th June 2003, 16:51     #3
BillHague

I was wondering when this would break into the news.

To be quite honest, I am pleased. In terms of quality of football, CONMEBOL deserves another half place far more than OFC does a full one.

If by some stroke of (inconcievable) luck NZ managed to beat Australia for qualification, they'd just end up like Saudi Arabia in the last world cup. (See our performance at the Conf. Cup? Now imagine how we'd do against full strength squads in a competition that the opposition actually cares about.)

In the interests of maintaining the integrity of the competition, I feel that Oceania needs to improve a lot to be deserving of a full place.

Australia are more of the big losers from this decision rather than us IMHO.
Old 29th June 2003, 17:49     #4
dios

I agree that Oceania doesn't deserve a direct entry spot, but why do we have to play off against South America? If we played off against Asia (they have 4.5 spots, we have .5) and South America can play CONCACAF. Less traveling for both playoffs, and better matches (Costa Rica vs. Uruguay) and Australia vs. China or Saudi. Australia with their full squad aren't a bad team, they'd do well in World Cup. In fact, why not just Add oceania to the Asia pool for qualifying?
Old 30th June 2003, 15:48     #5
LFC

Aww no, this is sad news, but after watching NZ's performances in the Confederations Cup you can't really argue with the decision.

I hate to say this but maybe it might have been better for the Oceania Confederation if Australia had of gone to the Confederations Cup.

With their top players they would have done alot better and given Oceania a bit more credibility.