NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Console Forum
User Name
Password

Old 22nd January 2009, 23:40     #321
Shock

Pretty sure the bluray drive in my ps3 died tonight. Have contacted support via email, yet to hear back but googling reveals the signs are ominous. Not sure if you count this a "console" failure. I cannot play any disc based games because of it.
Old 23rd January 2009, 09:07     #322
SID|DensitY

seems to be the season for dying dvd/bluray drives it seems.

Brother's ps2 dvd drive died. my computer's dvd drive decided it didn't want to read dvd's anymore (thankfully computer parts are easily replaced).

stupid drives.
Old 24th January 2009, 01:24     #323
Shock

$375 to get my out of warranty console fixed. -_-. Looking into the DIY drive replacement considering parts float around the $100 mark.
Old 4th February 2009, 13:00     #324
StN
I have detailed files

Very angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
1. 360, PS3, and DS(x2).

2. No failures.
Now with added Wii, and a 360 that won't output any video (yet strangely the fibre optic audio works)...

Where do you go to get a warranty service - and how does one show proof of purchase when it was won in a contest?
Old 4th February 2009, 13:14     #325
RedeviL

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Now with added Wii, and a 360 that won't output any video (yet strangely the fibre optic audio works)...

Where do you go to get a warranty service - and how does one show proof of purchase when it was won in a contest?
What do you use for video?

Might be related to this.
Old 4th February 2009, 21:05     #326
StN
I have detailed files

Hmm - might be. I used HD-RGB componant plugs, but even when I switched it to TV and did the Y+RTrig reset thing it still reboots with audio, but no pic. I even went out and got a VGA cable and got the same results. I'm suspecting a land lifting off the video output circuit due to heat - it was doing some strange colour pallete degredation before it went altogether.

Just working out if it's economic to get it fixed, or should I cut my losses and just pick up a cheap Arcade one and transplant the disk etc.

On another note, anyone hacked a PS3 to use the USB HD-DVD drive off an Xbox...
Old 5th February 2009, 13:47     #327
RedeviL

Does sound like physical failure.
I'm still stuck with the bloody no Audio via HDMI issue - even after that 'fix'.
Old 5th February 2009, 20:46     #328
StN
I have detailed files

Yeah - I'm tossing up between pricing a repair, and getting out the magnifying glass and surface mount solder kit...
Old 12th February 2009, 19:21     #329
Rangoon Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon Attack
1. Which current-gen' consoles do you own?
Xbox 360

2. Have you had any hardware failures in any of them?
Yes

3. If so, which console[s] and how many failures each?
Xbox 360, twice

4. What were these failures?
3RLOD

5. Did any of these failures recur with replacement units?
Yes
Add another failed 360 to that.
Old 16th February 2009, 21:24     #330
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Yeah - I'm tossing up between pricing a repair, and getting out the magnifying glass and surface mount solder kit...
Now I'm just thinking a DSE special ($254) is the way to go.
Old 16th February 2009, 22:27     #331
Code

ps3 bluray drive just died - 2 months old, barely used as I use it as a media centre more than anything, with the odd blu-ray rental on rainy weekends.
Old 21st March 2009, 09:33     #332
StN
I have detailed files

Very angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Now I'm just thinking a DSE special ($254) is the way to go.
So I get the new unit home, configure it through the IR remote, load all the updates, and bang - doesn't pick up the wireless controllers.

I should have known when the girl at DSE had to open the box to get the serial number when it wasn't oriented correctly to read it through the box window... Looks like it had been returned before.
Old 21st March 2009, 09:53     #333
Kryten

Silly question, but you've used the re-sync buttons on the console and controller(s), right?
Old 21st March 2009, 11:25     #334
StN
I have detailed files

Holy crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
Silly question, but you've used the re-sync buttons on the console and controller(s), right?
Pfft - everyone knows about the resync button on the font of the console! Ha...

Yeah - so after going balls deep into the rubbish bin to try and find the docket (which turned up later within the cardbaord folds of the packaging) it came to me that perhaps there was a resynch button on the controller too - not just the X button.

All is joyness now, but the cake is still a lie.

Not just any tard - Canterbury Draught induced R-Tard!
Old 21st March 2009, 15:39     #335
Kryten

I'd bask in the warm glow of my superior intellect, if not for the fact that I too struggled with your exact problem once before.
Old 26th March 2009, 18:56     #336
BWDOWN

Now all launch consoles are no longer covered.. Be interesting to see the failure rates..
Old 31st March 2009, 14:20     #337
Evilmonkey

All lauch consoles are covered under CGA and will be for years to come.
Old 31st March 2009, 23:35     #338
BWDOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmonkey
All lauch consoles are covered under CGA and will be for years to come.
I would have thought 3 years for a games console would be about right under the CGA.
Old 1st April 2009, 09:56     #339
Evilmonkey

Well its only been about 2 years hasn't it?

Plus back then they cost over 1k so they are probably covered for more like 5.
Old 1st April 2009, 10:51     #340
FireStorm
Holmium

I think I've had my 360 for 3 years now, had it since NZ launch. Does that sound about right?
Old 1st April 2009, 13:15     #341
Phantom
May contain nuts

It's been over 3 years since NZ launch - however if they red ring, you're still covered under the CGA and not because of the "reasonable time" clause either. It's a systemic fault for which you'll have no trouble finding evidence - MS will be required to fix this fault for some time to come. As I understand the law, anyway - remember, IANAL. If you want to be sure, check with someone who is.
Old 2nd April 2009, 01:00     #342
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
It's been over 3 years since NZ launch - however if they red ring, you're still covered under the CGA and not because of the "reasonable time" clause either. It's a systemic fault for which you'll have no trouble finding evidence - MS will be required to fix this fault for some time to come. As I understand the law, anyway - remember, IANAL. If you want to be sure, check with someone who is.
This reliance on the CGA sounds good in theory but if the manufacturer/retailer dig their toes in, you're gonna have to take it to the Disptues Tribunal and convince the referee that X years isn't a reasonable time for a console to develop a failure. Might not be that easy to discharge the burden of proof.
Old 3rd April 2009, 09:43     #343
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm
I think I've had my 360 for 3 years now, had it since NZ launch. Does that sound about right?
I was talking PS3 .. hence the over 1k remark.
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:15     #344
FireStorm
Holmium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmonkey
I was talking PS3 .. hence the over 1k remark.
I was referring to BWDOWN, as he appeared to be referrencing 360s.
Old 4th April 2009, 01:55     #345
BWDOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm
I was referring to BWDOWN, as he appeared to be referrencing 360s.
Sorry evilmonkey I was referring to 360's being 3 years of course..

If you had bought a launch 360 and have it rrod tomorrow I dont reckon you'd have much show under the CGA..

My original point was wondering how many issues with rrod will crop up after the 36 month rrod period...
Old 7th April 2009, 18:12     #346
mpx

My 360 has just bitten the dust I think, I go to play a game and from a few seconds to a few minutes in it just freezes with artifacts all over the place. It's not doing a RROD but it's sure as shit not playing any games.

I've had it for at least over 2 years now, am I still covered under some sort of warranty? I *just* bought Rock Band 2 for it ffs
Old 7th April 2009, 20:05     #347
mpx

Well it ended up just plain RROD'ing when I booted it up, nothing else but RROD so I called XBOX support and to my amazement they said the repair was still free under RROD warranty, so yay! Getting an email about delivery instructions and I can send it away to be repaired.
Old 9th April 2009, 04:01     #348
fidgit
Always itchy

mpx, I had almost exactly the same thing happen, except I'd just bought GHWT ;>

I've nfi how old my console actually is - I got it through back-channels (supplier enticement), but the MS website happily gave me the RROD return details. Biggest problem I had was finding a box to fit it in - ended up with a massssive box and a shit load of bubble wrap.

The woman at the post office mentioned it was a broken xbox. She'd seen so many of the labels (which don't mention xbox or microsoft anywhere on them) that she recognises them on site now haha.
Old 9th April 2009, 10:17     #349
mpx

Yeah I had actually bought my xbox second hand off a fellow NZG'er well over 2 years ago I'm sure. But they were happy enough to give me the RROD warranty details.. and yeah I'm still trying to find a damn box to put it in!
Old 15th April 2009, 09:36     #350
Kryten

Xbox 360 Warranty extended for E74
Old 17th April 2009, 16:56     #351
badassmofo

Well, after bricking the Hitachi drive in my Xbox 360 Xenon, I decided it was time for a Jasper, which I picked up today.
Will be a 3ish month wait before a firmware update on the DVD drive. Does anyone know anyone who does the in Welly?
Old 18th April 2009, 13:15     #352
badassmofo

And bloody hell, it's quiet!!! Finally!
Old 18th April 2009, 13:39     #353
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassmofo
And bloody hell, it's quiet!!! Finally!
Till it develops a fan issue, and MS has to pay for that as well.
Old 18th April 2009, 16:31     #354
badassmofo

Stop speculating. Besides, I'll probably replace the fans with the talismoon ones I have anyway.
Old 20th April 2009, 15:11     #355
FireStorm
Holmium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB
Till it develops a fan issue, and MS has to pay for that as well.
My God man, you're still going on with your MS bashing. Seriously, you got a PS3 yet or what?
Old 20th April 2009, 15:18     #356
Danjah

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassmofo
Well, after bricking the Hitachi drive in my Xbox 360 Xenon, I decided it was time for a Jasper, which I picked up today.
Will be a 3ish month wait before a firmware update on the DVD drive. Does anyone know anyone who does the in Welly?

i got this dude in the hutt region who did a bang up job on 3 boxes i've given him so far for $60 each for first flash and $30 for any upgrade flashes required. he can also unmod them without damaging warranty stickers if you need to return to MS for repair, really nice guy to boot too!

holla at me if you want his details : [email protected]

i think the other guy who does them is the chap who runs xmods.co.nz, he lives in wanui and can be a bit slack from what i've heard, the hutt guy can do it whilst you wait
Old 20th April 2009, 16:48     #357
TnT

Well after my bro-in-laws 4th xbox died, he's finally seen the light.... and brought a PS3. He came over the other day and said, 'shit it's quiet'.
Old 8th May 2009, 23:43     #358
SumJaun
Cogito Ergo Sum

Has your PS3 died with in 2 years and paid to get it fixed? Fair Go might want to talk with you!

NZGamer thread here
Old 13th June 2009, 23:07     #359
SumJaun
Cogito Ergo Sum

Quote:
http://we-fearless-ones.blogspot.com...ts-ruling.html

PlayStation 3 Durability - The Court's Ruling
My PS3 broke down outside of warranty, but by New Zealand law, the Consumer Guarantees Act says that goods should last for a "reasonable" amount of time. I didn't think 21 months was reasonable for a PS3 and since Sony refused to pay for the repair, I took them to court and won.

What won it for me is the Consumer article, which said that computers should last for 5 years and DVD players for 8+ years, both PS3 functions.

They tried to argue that the PS3 wasn't classified as a computer, however there is no reason to suppose that PS3s are any less durable since they are used for games and receive hard treatment from children.

So the Disputes Tribunal ruled that my PS3 was not of acceptable quality and ordered Sony to reimburse me the repair cost.

Anyone is more than welcome to use this case as an example if they have a similar dispute. The case number is CIV-2009-094-000642. Take 3 print outs of the Consumer article.

It cost me $30 to have the hearing and all information you need is on the Disputes Tribunal website. Note that you will need the name and address of the legal entity you're taking to court, which can be found at the Companies Office. You can either take Sony or the company you purchased the thing from. I recommend the latter because it's just easier. The Sony offices are in Australia and they don't have a clue about NZ law.

Note that warranties aren't very important in New Zealand. People selling extended warranties are basically criminal, because we're already covered. See the Consumer article about this.
Old 14th June 2009, 13:59     #360
chiQ
Frag-muff

Thanks SJ. That's gold

Hey, I'm on holiday for a month. I might actually get around to re-compiling this thread's data while I'm off