Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 7th March 2010, 15:27     #1
Lightspeed

Newegg ships fake CPUs

This is quite lol:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=636484

I wonder if Intel will cover Newegg's losses?
Old 7th March 2010, 15:55     #2
Fx.

haha asians

i do like newegg tho
Old 7th March 2010, 16:51     #3
zeekiorage

Laugh

One of the comments from the thread...

Quote:
Laugh all you want, but this is the coolest running CPU and quietest fan I have ever owned.
Old 7th March 2010, 17:28     #4
Trigger
Laserman

wow that is a pretty well done fake
Old 7th March 2010, 20:52     #5
zeekiorage

Apparently Newegg is telling their customers that these are mistakenly shipped "demo" unit boxes and they are sending out real units to affected people.
Old 7th March 2010, 22:42     #6
xpandnz

That CPU cooler looks like it is made out of egg.

Rofl!
Old 8th March 2010, 01:41     #7
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

what? demo boxes? my ass they are - they are fucking knock offs. they bought a shitload from some back alley to lower costs/improve margins, and got burnt - now they want to cover it up.
Old 8th March 2010, 02:22     #8
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpandnz
That CPU cooler looks like it is made out of egg.

Rofl!
Choke yourself.
Old 8th March 2010, 08:57     #9
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrtigo
what? demo boxes? my ass they are - they are fucking knock offs. they bought a shitload from some back alley to lower costs/improve margins, and got burnt - now they want to cover it up.
I think it's more like the CPUs were swapped for fakes somewhere in the supply chain, and got shipped out to customers without anyone noticing, and they're trying to cover their arses. What they should be doing is saying "Whoops, looks like we got ripped off, here let us replace those while we investigate," instead of making up some BS story.
Old 9th March 2010, 23:54     #10
Trigger
Laserman

heh interesting, GGs all around

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/08/i...core-i7-chips/

Quote:
Who's to blame? It's not exactly clear -- Newegg initially said that the processors were "demo units," but has now posted a statement to Facebook saying that supplier IPEX shipped counterfeit chips and has had its contract revoked
Quote:
"Intel has been made aware of a limited number of counterfeit i7 920 packages in the marketplace, specifically Newegg, and is working to how many and/or where they are being sold. The examples we have seen are not Intel products but are counterfeits. Buyers should contact their place of purchase for a replacement and/or should contact their local law enforcement agency if the place of purchase refuses to help.

Intel is getting samples to inspect and until then we can say that everything in the package appears fake. Some of the photos of the processor look like it is a casting and not even a real processor of any kind. Newegg has moved quickly to replace the suspect units."