Password

Old 29th June 2007, 12:00     #121
TB

One more and he gets a free Sub
Old 29th June 2007, 14:10     #122
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin
Because it's a 360 site, the survey is asking only about 360s, and I presume the site has a much larger audience, I would expect there to be much more acquisition bias on the data they present.
When the survey asks only about 360s, the purpose of the survey becomes apparent, which will skew results. Also, the larger more impersonal audience means that people who have had a fault are more likely to respond than people who haven't. Those with no faults are more likely to think "No faults here, doesn't apply to me, and I can't be bothered filling out the survey".
ChiQ, I think your survey design was better thought out and administered. It wasn't immediately apparent to me why you were conducting the survey, or what hypothesis you were testing (until I read the thread ), and so you seem to have got more balance in the number of fault/no fault respondents.
I disagree. As it's a 360 site people that like 360's enough that they even go to a 360 site obviously like 360's and if you haven't had any faults and you like the product you are probably just as likely to defend something you have bought and invested in.

Who's to say the point of the survey isn't to find out how many faults there arn't? Which would then skew it the other way.

Personally I have a PS3 and I like it, if I was on a site that had a little click button that took me 1/2 a second to press I'd click whatever was relavant to me. Also I own one of these therefor I'd be interested in the results of the survey and you get the results by entering the survey.

I can see where you are coming from saying people with problems are more likely to respond, it might be slightly true but also people take pride in stuff they own and don't like things they own to be shown in a negative light, that has come across pretty aggressively on these forums which people jumping up and down denying there is anything wrong with the console. So I think it swings both ways.

The reality? Who knows. Our nz games survey could have different results because of all sorts of reasons: We have new models in NZ, different batches and temperature difference in the countries responding to the survey (although the survey is probably worldwide I'd say the majority of those responding are probably from europe/america).
Old 29th June 2007, 16:28     #123
sande

1. Which current-gen' consoles do you own?
PS2, PS3, 3xPSP in the house

2. Have you had any hardware failures in any of them?
No

PS. Hassles getting PS3 to consistantly stream transcoded vids from PC, more likely my setup though.
Old 29th June 2007, 16:44     #124
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sande
Hassles getting PS3 to consistantly stream transcoded vids from PC, more likely my setup though.
What are you using to stream?
Old 30th June 2007, 11:44     #125
Ultimative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit-Tech
Despite writing to Microsoft about the problems, Micromart received no reply and ultimately had to retract the 360 repair service. Some estimate that the failure rate on the Xbox 360 is as high as 30 percent.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/06..._repair_360s/1

Ouch.
Old 30th June 2007, 12:43     #126
sande

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaM
What are you using to stream?
Nero, over Wifi(g) from USB HDD drives hooked up to a lappy in another room.
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:19     #127
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sande
Nero, over Wifi(g) from USB HDD drives hooked up to a lappy in another room.
I have used Tversity, I was transcoding 640x480 max over wifi and the closer it got to 640x480 the worse it ran. My setup has an access point in the middle so it goes from my PC to AP to PS3 all via wireless. My connection ranges from good to excellent as the distance is pretty far. I ran a cable from the PS3 to the acess point so there was only one wireless conection being use and this pretty much cleared up all my problems.

It's the same with a divx via a media gate or playing from PC to PC. As long as either one of the connections was wired and the other was wireless it ran 99% sweet. But if both were wireless I had problems, it just wasn't fast enough to keep up with the data. (54g)
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:00     #128
Genesis

1. Xbox 360
2. Yes

I've just had my XB360 blow up, managed to take out not only the 360 but our projector too.

The amplifier it was all hooked up to had an exposed power-cable (i.e. our rabbit had gotten into it and we hadn't noticed), so were thinking that it touched earth and somehow blew up everything connected to it.

Luckily I know someone that’s been an electrical engineer for the last 20 years and he was able to revive the projector.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:22     #129
BaM
Freeloader

That's not really a 360 failure then is it? It's a rabbit-blows-up-amp failure.

P.S. Is the rabbit OK?
Old 3rd July 2007, 17:01     #130
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaM
That's not really a 360 failure then is it? It's a rabbit-blows-up-amp failure.

P.S. Is the rabbit OK?
Yeah but I really wanted to share the story.

Rabbit was fine at the time, killed shortly after however.
Old 3rd July 2007, 22:27     #131
Mario

Retailers Estimate Xbox 360 Failure Rate High as 33 Percent
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7892

A little closer to the media investigation you were looking for Phantom, but based on the words of a "former EB employee" so quite possibly FUD. Regardless, there is growing dissent around the build quality of 360s, whether its justified or not. Microsoft has a ballooning PR issue on their hands.
Old 3rd July 2007, 22:31     #132
Phantom
May contain nuts

indeed they do - something i think that will bite them in the ass should the PS3 find itself in the same price range.

The problem for Sony then would be that developers and publishers are making decisions today about the software they're going to be developing for the next 18-24 months; looking at sales trends, who's going to be investing in PS3 development today?
Old 3rd July 2007, 22:45     #133
Mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
The problem for Sony then would be that developers and publishers are making decisions today about the software they're going to be developing for the next 18-24 months; looking at sales trends, who's going to be investing in PS3 development today?
I doubt they will lose total support, regardless if trends continue. Next gen development is expensive enough that cross platform development across both 360 and PS3 (with possibly PC thrown in) is the only way to keep it financially viable in some cases, especially as new developments going into production now won't likely land for 18 to 36 months giving the relative install bases a chance to grow.

Sony is in danger of losing more exclusives though. Fatal Intertia made the switch to 360 as an exclusive today, ironically having started as a PS3 exclusive.

E3 is going to be crucial for Sony. If they can demonstrate a likely upswing in sales then they'll have a better chance of retaining the support they have. If not, PS3 could be relegated to mainly receiving poorly optimised ports. Sony need to drop at E3 some crazy combination of good software, PSN support, price drop, bundles, more PSP connectivity, more media support, firmware upgrades, and HOME surprises. And Microsoft needs to not drop the ball.
Old 3rd July 2007, 23:04     #134
TB

Im willing to bet has spent hundreds of millions on buying devlopers to go their way for E3. Im also willing to bet they'll keep ignoring the 360s problems.
Old 4th July 2007, 09:22     #135
Baal

Well I'm sure TB will be happy but this thread has pretty much convinced me that I'll be getting a PS3 when Soul Calibur 4 comes out (SC is my only console *must* have). Can't be arsed with borderline hardware.
Old 4th July 2007, 09:47     #136
[Malks] Pixie

Dunno if you want second hand data but I chatted with some of my band mates who have consoles - up to you if you want to include this stuff.

Number of Respondants : 6

Consoles :
3 x Xbox 360
1 x Xbox Vanilla
4 x PS2
1 x PSP

Failures : Yes
1 Xbox Vanilla Failure - Hard drive failure - replaced HDD (out of warranty)
2 x PS2 Failures - One drive failure (laser kaput), One frying (apparently started smoking). Both were very old machines and out of warranty - both replaced with 2nd hand machines.

No replacement units provided (as out of warranty).

Pixie
Old 4th July 2007, 10:49     #137
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Number of Respondants : 6

Consoles :
3 x Xbox 360
1 x Xbox Vanilla
4 x PS2
1 x PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
1. Which current-gen consoles do you own?
Old 4th July 2007, 19:12     #138
Genesis

Xbox 360: Refused Repairs

To be honest even a 5% failure rate is pretty shocking.
Old 4th July 2007, 20:01     #139
chiQ
Frag-muff

Genesis, I'm not including your failure, as it's not a fault in the machine, so much as 'Act of Bunnie'

Your 360 is in as an unfaulty unit:

Code:
console owners units faults f.units f.rate 20070704 0847hrs xbox360 36 40 19 12 0.3 4controllers PS3 12 12 0 0 0 Wii 27 27 0 0 0 PSP 21 23 2 2 0.086956522 1abuse of unit? DS 19 27 1 1 0.037037037 TOTAL 129 22 15 0.11627907 f.rate = faulty units/units Plus Q3W console owners units faults f.units f.rate 20070625 2033hrs xbox360 55 60 28 20 0.333333333 4controllers, 1optical drive PS3 13 13 0 0 0 Wii 33 33 0 0 0 PSP 26 28 2 2 0.071428571 1abuse of unit? DS 27 36 1 1 0.027777778 TOTAL 170 31 23 0.135294118
Haven't caught up with the updates to Q3W yet, but I will!
Old 4th July 2007, 20:26     #140
chiQ
Frag-muff

Ignore that. I totally owned myself, by populating all but the faulty units column consistently, so now I have to completely repopulate the whole spreadsheet from scratch *sigh*

That'll teach me to try and use my brain the day after a migraine
Old 4th July 2007, 21:01     #141
Phantom
May contain nuts

The guys on GAF, from a sample of ~750 (or something like that) noted a 25% failure rate. This is based on people known to have 360s on the forum and then cross checking people that posted in that thread with people that posted in the "bung 360" thread (thereby eliminating people who's sole contribution was to post that their 360 had failed). Aside from the fact that you're still sampling a pretty hardcore group of people (whom i would reasonably expect, based on what I know is causing the problem with the consoles, to have a larger failure rate than casual or at least non-hardcore gamers), 1 in 4 is pretty goddamn scarily high. Even if you -halve- it, grossly overcompensating (imo) for the less-hardcore userbase, 12.5% is pretty seriously high :S
Old 5th July 2007, 08:46     #142
[Malks] Pixie

Fair call dude - at least there were a couple of current-gen consoles in there (would have look really dumb if there hadn't been any!).

Pixie
Old 5th July 2007, 10:23     #143
Evilmonkey

Quote:
The guys on GAF, from a sample of ~750 (or something like that) noted a 25% failure rate. This is based on people known to have 360s on the forum and then cross checking people that posted in that thread with people that posted in the "bung 360" thread (thereby eliminating people who's sole contribution was to post that their 360 had failed). Aside from the fact that you're still sampling a pretty hardcore group of people (whom i would reasonably expect, based on what I know is causing the problem with the consoles, to have a larger failure rate than casual or at least non-hardcore gamers), 1 in 4 is pretty goddamn scarily high. Even if you -halve- it, grossly overcompensating (imo) for the less-hardcore userbase, 12.5% is pretty seriously high :S
Why don't you just round it down to 12%, I'm sure it won't make any difference after all the creative statistic mucking already going on.

And I thought you were smart. I rate this post 'a joke'.
Old 5th July 2007, 15:05     #144
Bu||et

lets see your stats then fuckbucket
Old 5th July 2007, 19:42     #145
chiQ
Frag-muff

Oh man, don't bring that crap into this thread, please

The whole point of this one is to put to rest the shit-fights, fanboy dick-fighting, and fuzzy nuggets O'pooh, and you're slinging your ickies all over it. Go and play with your nut loaf in one of the threads you've already ruined

Edit: I'm going to re-collate my data at some point in the next week.

Last edited by chiQ : 5th July 2007 at 19:44.
Old 5th July 2007, 20:09     #146
?>Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu||et
lets see your stats then fuckbucket
Quite lol...

But i think does come across a little like Phantom's been hating on TB so much that it makes him come across like he wants PS3 to lose-out just to spite TB :P

Either way it all comes down to Chad Daddy.
Old 5th July 2007, 21:21     #147
Phantom
May contain nuts

Wow, i post about the 360 having a high failure rate and get called a PS3 hater

Nice reading skillz there.
Old 5th July 2007, 21:22     #148
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?>Superman
makes him come across like he wants PS3 to lose-out just to spite TB :P
For the record, I have a vested interest in seeing the PS3 succeed. Competition is good for everyone and fanboi rage wars power the forums of teh intarwebs; in case that's not clear to everyone, I want the PS3 to be a success.

I hate on fanbois, not consoles.
Old 5th July 2007, 21:47     #149
Baal

Quote:
The PS3 eats babies.
dude
Old 5th July 2007, 21:49     #150
?>Superman

Upside down

Quote:
For the record, I have a vested interest in seeing the PS3 succeed. Competition is good for everyone and fanboi rage wars power the forums of teh intarwebs; in case that's not clear to everyone, I want the PS3 to be a success.

I hate on fanbois, not consoles.
Me too, it is nice to have the forums fanboy free but i always find xbox360 seems to get the shiny-dick treatment on a lot of forums because theres a ton of "I HAT U SONY1!!" types around.

For the record i never put you in that category of hating PS3, i just said you come across like that just because of the way you seem to respond to the majority of TB's posts. Remember the internet isn't probably the best place to convey tone, but it always sounds like you're really fucked off at him.

Maybe you just need to lax out a little bit <3 & cookies for u

edit:Baal strikes again!

Last edited by ?>Superman : 5th July 2007 at 21:50.
Old 5th July 2007, 22:08     #151
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
dude
lol

Supes: I come across annoyed at TB because I am annoyed at TB. I started off all chilled and shit, laxed like a mofo, chillin on weed and all that and he completely ignored me. It was only when i started ranting like Kong on coke that he paid me any heed.

So be it ;p

Anyway he seems cool these days so there's no tension between us. I have no problems with him, just his occasional post
Old 5th July 2007, 22:44     #152
?>Superman

Upside down

Quote:
lol

Supes: I come across annoyed at TB because I am annoyed at TB. I started off all chilled and shit, laxed like a mofo, chillin on weed and all that and he completely ignored me. It was only when i started ranting like Kong on coke that he paid me any heed.

So be it ;p

Anyway he seems cool these days so there's no tension between us. I have no problems with him, just his occasional post :)
Sweet :D P-Wizzle still ballin'!

p.s i thought that said "paid me any head" lol
Old 6th July 2007, 09:36     #153
Kryten

Xbox 360 Warranty Extended to 3 Years

Guilty as charged your honour!
Old 6th July 2007, 09:40     #154
Kryten

Because the links are broken in the above story, here's Peter Moore's letter.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/petermooreletter.htm
Old 6th July 2007, 09:42     #155
Thomas
Showbiz Opera Walrus

No doubt it will be spun left right and centre depending on fanboy allegiance but I think this news is pretty cool.
Old 6th July 2007, 10:21     #156
Bree

As the owner of one of the last launch day consoles still alive this is great news for me. Recently I've been hoping mine would die so I could get it fixed under the CGA, which due to its vague wording of "reasonable amount of time" is fast approaching that point where coverage under GCA could be disputed.
Old 6th July 2007, 10:35     #157
BaM
Freeloader

Estimated cost of repairs: US$1 billion
Amount Xbox is already in the hole: US$5 billion

Their shareholders are going to be a bit annoyed by this. I suppose it's cheaper than the otherwise inevitable lawsuits though.
Old 6th July 2007, 10:41     #158
untouchable

This is awesome news. ! Glad I didnt pay for an extended warranty now.
Old 6th July 2007, 11:40     #159
Kryten

Courtesy of Firing Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firing Squad
» Xbox 360 Warrenty Conference Call Highlights

Because Microsoft announced a charge of $1.05 billion to $1.15 billion because of today's announcement of their new three year "three red lights" Xbox 360 warranty, the company held a quick financial conference call where Microsoft Entertainment head Robbie Bach, among others, talked about the decision. Here are the highlights:

# According to Bach, the hardware problems with the Xbox 360 console "wasn't on our radar" during the console's first year in sales. The problems started to become more apparent to the company only in the last couple of months.
# Bach also said the issues were a Microsoft design problem and not an issue with assembly and manufacturing at the plants where the console is made. Bach would not say specifically what design issues were found but did say, "It's really our responsibility, not anyone else's"
# Bach also would not comment on what the Xbox 360 return rate is, saying only that "It's a meaningful number."
# Bach stated that he is confident that the Xbox 360 hardware design issues have now been resolved. The one time charge for the new warranty policy will affect Microsoft's just completed fiscal year 2007 financials. For fiscal 2008, which began on the first of July, the company is still projecting that the Entertainment division of Microsoft in general and the Xbox section in particular will become profitable.
# During the conference call, Microsoft officials stated that globally 11.6 million Xbox 360 consoles have been sold as of the end of June. This number is slightly below Microsoft's earlier projections of 12 million consoles sold by the end of their fiscal year. The conference call did not state what the company's goals are for the just started fiscal 2008 year.
# Finally, Bach said that he is confident that the Xbox 360 business is still strong despite these hardware issues, saying that 90 percent of Xbox 360 customers polled would recommend them to friends. He also said that the company would make some major announcements at next week's E3 2007 saying that their game line-up for fiscal year 2008 will be, "one of the best in games history, if not the best."
Old 6th July 2007, 12:11     #160
Evilmonkey

That is pretty wicked news, pretty much puts the whole issue of not buying a 360 cause of the risk of it failing to rest, well done MS.