Password

Closed Thread

Old 6th April 2007, 18:41     #20801
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
a better educated population
It would require a smarter population first since the degree to which individuals can be educated is limited by the former. In a country where (you will argue otherwise I am sure) access to education is available to most, nothing more needs to be done to raise peoples' chances in that regard.

Given less capable people typically have bigger families, your plan would require some radical population controls to acheive.

I'm not too keen on being held back to my fair share of things, and neither would most other people here if they realised how little that would be. Opression of the form currently enjoyed by the masses is fine by me - any change in this is probably ill to my own fortunes (and to most others here).

As an alterantive, how about ending State funded education in the final year of primary and helping chruches reestablish their power amongst the young? The distribution of wealth would shift a little bit and most people would be happier than ever. Wouldn't that make for a nicer world?

Old 6th April 2007, 20:34     #20802
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
It would require a smarter population first since the degree to which individuals can be educated is limited by the former. In a country where (you will argue otherwise I am sure) access to education is available to most, nothing more needs to be done to raise peoples' chances in that regard.
Of course something more needs to be done - we need them to actually participate in that educational system. Most people are intelligent enough and can think if they have the correct knowledge.

Quote:
Given less capable people typically have bigger families, your plan would require some radical population controls to acheive.
Don't you just love the unsupported generalizations?
People who are having bigger families are doing so because of the culture they come from not because they are less capable.

Quote:
I'm not too keen on being held back to my fair share of things, and neither would most other people here if they realised how little that would be. Opression of the form currently enjoyed by the masses is fine by me - any change in this is probably ill to my own fortunes (and to most others here).
Your fair share of things would be limited to what ever you can produce same as everyone else. Having anything more than that would be due to theft. Which, of course, is what the present oppression is that you think so highly of.

Overall living standards would increase - very few people would end up with less than they have now.

Old 6th April 2007, 21:09     #20803
JP

Quote:
As an alterantive, how about ending State funded education in the final year of primary and helping chruches reestablish their power amongst the young? The distribution of wealth would shift a little bit and most people would be happier than ever. Wouldn't that make for a nicer world?
Could you explain what you mean by this further?

As an actuary, i'm assuming you're highly paid and educated, so I have no idea why you'd want the church to increase its power, unless you happen to be religious, which is rare among the upper class as they have little need for supernatural support links.

I think a lot of steps would be necesary before a true democracy would be alright. At the moment you can just look at the knee jerk reaction to smacking to see what true democracy would be like.

An entire new way of thinking would be necessary before it'd become realistic. And by the time we reach that kind of thinking the world would be a totally different place.

I dunno, i'm a bit boozed, but i feel that working on the current situation, rather than focusing on an entire overhaul will produce much more fruitful results.

Old 6th April 2007, 22:51     #20804
fixed_truth

education to strengthen democracy

Golden Teapot are you taking this piss?

Quote:
access to education is available to most, nothing more needs to be done to raise peoples' chances in that regard.
Education is available to all but that does not mean to say that it is absorbed. How is a child that goes to school after seeing family violence at home & has no lunch - keep their mind on school work let alone keep up & not be labelled "dumb" thus establishing a negative belief about who they are & what they do. Capability goes out the window now because being "dumb" is part the kids identity - if a kid believes they are dumb then their actions will match. So yes - something more needs to be done to raise peoples chances in that regard.

Quote:
I'm not too keen on being held back to my fair share of things, and neither would most other people here if they realised how little that would be.
The education issue like many others comes down to addressing poverty and its resulting outcomes - now my suggestions to addressing poverty doesn't include holding back YOUR fair share of things - unless you happen to be a wasteful multi-millionaire who accumulates profit only for the sake of profit. If anything you would greatly benefit from more public enterprise.

Quote:
As an alterantive, how about ending State funded education in the final year of primary and helping chruches reestablish their power amongst the young?
Yeah lets make schooling user pays - this would do nothing but create further inequality - the better the education ->the more it costs->only weathy families could afford it - the market has no place in the public sector.

P.S. thank you 'doppelgänger of someone'

Old 6th April 2007, 22:56     #20805
MadMax
Stuff

any inverse mouse people currently playing WoW? when was the last time you played an FPS?

Old 6th April 2007, 23:15     #20806
Stilgar
Rough Joker

One of the guys on the "Easter Debate" was my landlord last year. Random. Really nice guy actually.

Old 6th April 2007, 23:25     #20807
JP

http://mexicanicepick.livejournal.com/27333.html#cutid1

Anyone seen this shit?

Sluts!

Old 7th April 2007, 03:53     #20808
MadMax
Stuff

http://g-prime.net/x360/

Old 7th April 2007, 07:56     #20809
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
Don't you just love the unsupported generalizations?
A standard Bastard response - he has used that oh so many times on so many people. You can do better surely? Now, I imagine that you understand that unreferenced is not the same as unsupported and that being true on average in this context wins the cheese anyway.

Last edited by Golden Teapot : 7th April 2007 at 07:57.

Old 7th April 2007, 08:29     #20810
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
Could you explain what you mean by this further?
I was exploring an alternate view point. I do this quite a bit...

Old 7th April 2007, 08:32     #20811
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Golden Teapot are you taking this piss?
Assume that I am - 80% of the time you'll be right.

Old 7th April 2007, 09:50     #20812
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
A standard Bastard response - he has used that oh so many times on so many people. You can do better surely? Now, I imagine that you understand that unreferenced is not the same as unsupported and that being true on average in this context wins the cheese anyway.
If you can support it - great. Links please.
Just because someone is poor or from a large family doesn't mean that they are incapable. It usually means that they have less education, knowledge and resources to draw upon which can be remedied.

Old 7th April 2007, 11:28     #20813
Helious

I find it extremely odd that with over 6000 registered people on this board, noone has a birthday today!

Old 7th April 2007, 12:18     #20814
shootme

Most ppl dont register their date of birth.

Old 7th April 2007, 12:19     #20815
shootme

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootme
So what is the net amount of assets needed to be top 1% ?
Are there any bright sparks here that can answer this question?

Old 7th April 2007, 15:05     #20816
Sp0nge

since you asked nicely ...

the nzherald report was based on 2003-2004 data.
and it states that 1% of NZ owned 16% of NZs net worth

according to statistics nz (http://www.stats.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyre...ditedfinal.pdf)
the "subject population of 2.9 million recorded a combined net
worth of $467.67 billion)

so by my rough calculations
29,000 new zealanders owned $74.8272 billion net worth.
and if 1thousand million is a billion, then thats $74,827,200,000

some of those 29000 kiwis will be richer than others,
but on AVERAGE, each one owns $2,580,248.28

so i think in 2003-2004, you could probably say if you had a net worth of over $2.5 million youre in the 1%

but this is statistics we are talking about, and you can make figures tell any story.
(eg the 2006 rich list says that 222 new zealanders owned $35.1 billion)

what we can safely say is that the rich get richer, and the poor play pokies.

Old 7th April 2007, 16:34     #20817
Rep

Flying Spaghetti Monster - The Game.

http://www.venganza.org/games/index.htm

Old 8th April 2007, 13:10     #20818
crocos

I found out today that there was a Emperor of the United States.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Old 8th April 2007, 17:56     #20819
Draco T Bastard

time to move on

hehe

Old 8th April 2007, 21:49     #20820
PsyK

Funny how you can crank on a song you've had for years and suddenly realise you should have been listening to it more cause it is simply awesome. That just happened to me with Korn - Full of Sorrow. How about the rest of ya?

Old 8th April 2007, 21:49     #20821
Reformed_Quint

Just got back from a 'round northland mega-thon of drinking, went to a party thursday night in auckland, a crate day in hamilton on the friday and then a 21st in wellington last night. Just got home. So fucking tired.

10hrs driving an evo 5 stuffs you up

Old 8th April 2007, 21:53     #20822
Stilgar
Rough Joker

go the corona!

10 hours in any car will stuff you up. (for the record I did it in a corona)

Old 8th April 2007, 22:08     #20823
Draco T Bastard

Fidel Castro on Ethanol
The Economist - Supporting him Full article here

Old 9th April 2007, 09:42     #20824
Lightspeed

What a fantastic day.

Old 9th April 2007, 09:51     #20825
StN
I have detailed files

^^ Brains!

Old 9th April 2007, 11:01     #20826
Lightspeed

Cheesy grin

Old 9th April 2007, 12:34     #20827
JP

I know there are a lot of D&B heads on here so I think i'll ask in hopes someone can tell me...

On Juice there's the ad for the NZOWN show which features some Drum and bass song which sounds awesome. Anyone happen to know the song?

Old 9th April 2007, 12:41     #20828
xor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
What a fantastic day.
The light burns the eyes!

Old 9th April 2007, 13:42     #20829
Epox

Hmmm great, best looking day of the year now I get to spend about 24 hours travelling yet arrive 4 minutes before I left on the same day.....

Old 9th April 2007, 14:42     #20830
MoP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootme
Most ppl dont register their date of birth.
i've had mine registered, and been on since 2000... and not one HB thread. I hate you all

Old 9th April 2007, 15:11     #20831
Helious

ho-ly

I think i've had one for the last 4 years now?!

I look at these boards as Shortland Street, you have the main actors, then there's the extras.

Old 9th April 2007, 15:22     #20832
JP

Can anyone give me a quick reply...

I have a single port router and a switch, basically want two computers online. How should I set it up? The router is the D-Link 502t

Old 9th April 2007, 15:31     #20833
?>Superman

nevermind

Old 9th April 2007, 15:41     #20834
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP

I have a single port router and a switch, basically want two computers online. How should I set it up? The router is the D-Link 502t
router<-->switch<-->computers generally works.

Not familiar with that router though so may/may not work

Old 9th April 2007, 15:42     #20835
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious-
ho-ly

I think i've had one for the last 4 years now?!

I look at these boards as Shortland Street, you have the main actors, then there's the extras.
And then there's the comic-relief

Old 9th April 2007, 15:43     #20836
Helious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP

Isn't it something like, plug the router into the uplinik, then plug each computer into the switch, enable DHCP and it should work. Over and above that, specify IP's for each pc connected to the switch.

blah

Old 9th April 2007, 15:45     #20837
JP

Yeah i have an idea, i've done it several times before, just been a while, but do i need to use a crossover cable for any of that? For some reason i remember using one and thats whats confusing me.

Old 9th April 2007, 15:47     #20838
Helious

Generally speaking you'll only use a X-over cable when you're connecting two pc's directly. i.e without a switch/hub/router.

Old 9th April 2007, 15:55     #20839
Draco T Bastard

Cluster bombs come with a warranty. Unfortunately for Israel they won't be able to complain to the manufacturers about this ones bomblets mostly not exploding because the warranty ran out in 1974.

Old 9th April 2007, 16:04     #20840
Lightspeed

You know you're in NZ when you're having lunch overlooking the city when some cows rock on up, chewing away as if you weren't even there.

Closed Thread