NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 26th May 2009, 14:15     #6201
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Yeah I don't get it either, but it should be talked about in a thread that isn't called "Pic of the day 2.0" ;p
Old 26th May 2009, 14:18     #6202
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You have answered your own question - Maoris have the Treaty of Waitangi. It's the debate-ender.

Asian person: all races should be treated equally!
Indian person: all races should be treated equally!
African person: all races should be treated equally!
Maori person: got Treaty? no? then STFU.
Old 26th May 2009, 14:33     #6203
adonis

yeah yeah yeah, pic o' the day thread etc, but I couldn't resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
True? Who arbitrarily decides truth in this matter? Is it stipulated in the Treaty? If not, i don't get it - arbitrarily determining representation based on race sounds like racism to me. Am i missing something? Not being a smartass - i genuinely don't get it.

Enlighten me
Maori seats are not based on race, they’re based on the treaty of Waitangi. The crown - the government, made a specific agreement with a specific group of people, and I for one think that a government is obligated to uphold any agreement that it makes. When the crown broke that agreement by confiscating maori land, communities were broken up, many were forced to move to city’s like Auckland. Since our electoral systems are based on community representation, the addition of maori seats offers to these individuals the same representation they would have had if that agreement had not been broken by the crown.

I think it would be unrealistic for maori to think that the treaty can be upheld completely, but do think that it is imperitive that an acceptable compromise is found that all sides can agree on, otherwise we risk undermining the legitimacy of our laws and governance.

Referring to maori seats as “race based” is racist. I say this because they are not based on race, they are based on and justified by the treaty of Waitangi. I for one have no problem with them as long as :

A: The number of seats is proportional to the number of maori voting in that “electorate”.

B: We retain community based represention.

Personally I think the move to purely proportional representional systems would be better than our current mishmash, and would remove the both justification and need for maori seats. Maori would be equally represented under such a system.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:11     #6204
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
You have answered your own question - Maoris have the Treaty of Waitangi. It's the debate-ender.

Asian person: all races should be treated equally!
Indian person: all races should be treated equally!
African person: all races should be treated equally!
Maori person: got Treaty? no? then STFU.
What stops Maori candidates running for these seats based on merit? This strikes me as a very "special olympics" kind of deal...
Old 26th May 2009, 15:20     #6205
Juju
get to da choppa

http://imgur.com/jxe8a.jpg

edit: Link due to table break (everyone should be on 24" damn it).
Old 26th May 2009, 15:22     #6206
dead goon

Bloody marrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeessssss. Stealin our jobs.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:45     #6207
BaM
Freeloader

Hotlinking goodness:

Old 26th May 2009, 15:51     #6208
adonis

^ that.. is truely awesome.
Old 26th May 2009, 16:06     #6209
?>Superman

Thumbs up

Primo shot BaM
Old 26th May 2009, 16:06     #6210
Pastor Thug
The Man... The Movie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
What stops Maori candidates running for these seats based on merit? This strikes me as a very "special olympics" kind of deal...
That is the absurd nature of this arangement. I can't see it sticking forever though.
Old 26th May 2009, 16:18     #6211
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis

Maori seats are not based on race, they’re based on the treaty of Waitangi. The crown - the government, made a specific agreement with a specific group of people, and I for one think that a government is obligated to uphold any agreement that it makes. When the crown broke that agreement by confiscating maori land, communities were broken up, many were forced to move to city’s like Auckland. Since our electoral systems are based on community representation, the addition of maori seats offers to these individuals the same representation they would have had if that agreement had not been broken by the crown.

I think it would be unrealistic for maori to think that the treaty can be upheld completely, but do think that it is imperitive that an acceptable compromise is found that all sides can agree on, otherwise we risk undermining the legitimacy of our laws and governance.

Referring to maori seats as “race based” is racist. I say this because they are not based on race, they are based on and justified by the treaty of Waitangi. I for one have no problem with them as long as :

A: The number of seats is proportional to the number of maori voting in that “electorate”.

B: We retain community based represention.

Personally I think the move to purely proportional representional systems would be better than our current mishmash, and would remove the both justification and need for maori seats. Maori would be equally represented under such a system.
Reason and compromise are not welcome here. Leave now. The government only needs to hold true to its promises when it involves paying large sums of money to private enterprises, not citizens.

This is why people scream and shout about Maori getting representation they were promised, but don't seem to mind getting reamed by companies who control our natural resources.
Old 26th May 2009, 16:20     #6212
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
^ that.. is truely awesome.
It certainly is, but something tells me it's not BaM's pic, unless he's spontaneously migrated to mainland Europe
Old 26th May 2009, 16:41     #6213
dead goon

Was just thinking the same thing.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:00     #6214
blueballs

The bird in that pic is clearly unladen, but I wonder what airspeed velocity it would have to have to be able to avoid hitting the camera, and what this means for its ethnicity. I get the feeling it may have travelled a long way to be found in Europe.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:06     #6215
dead goon

deep

he's probably behind glass. if the flash didn't fire, it should be fine.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:09     #6216
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueballs
The bird in that pic is clearly unladen, but I wonder what airspeed velocity it would have to have to be able to avoid hitting the camera, and what this means for its ethnicity. I get the feeling it may have travelled a long way to be found in Europe.
very very nice
Old 26th May 2009, 17:09     #6217
dead goon

looking closer...

http://www.sztg.hu/webcam/cinke.jpg

We know the photo was probably taken in Hungary. And it is under the folder 'webcam' which would explain the lack of flash.

If it was done on a webcam that would have to be a very very lucky photo to have captured.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:11     #6218
StN
I have detailed files

Looks like some kind of avian Hurricanes fan.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:15     #6219
chiQ
Frag-muff

Which explains the disappointment on it's pointy little face.
Old 26th May 2009, 17:24     #6220
dylan
Huh?

Oh, here we go.

Quote:
A webcam at Szentgotthárd, Hungary managed to snap this happy little chappy looking right into the camera. The webcam only shoots one frame in every minute so it's a bit of a happy co-incidence. Its of a quality even the BBC would be proud of; all you need is a simple webcam! Get me 300 more of these cameras and I'll make Planet Earth 2!
http://current.com/items/88802281_ni...-on-webcam.htm
Old 26th May 2009, 17:25     #6221
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
It's more like the college "must have at least four girls on your mixed rugby team" kinda deal :]
Old 26th May 2009, 17:34     #6222
Hurtuso

hehe gr8 tit pic
Old 26th May 2009, 17:57     #6223
chubby

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
Reason and compromise are not welcome here. Leave now. The government only needs to hold true to its promises when it involves paying large sums of money to private enterprises, not citizens.

This is why people scream and shout about Maori getting representation they were promised, but don't seem to mind getting reamed by companies who control our natural resources.
and adonis.
QF motherfucking T.
thanks chaps- shame none of the dummies have anything.
Old 26th May 2009, 18:06     #6224
moocow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Which explains the disappointment on it's pointy little face.
disapointed because it's just realized it's about to hit a camera at 25mph

stupid primative animal, let's eat it !
Old 26th May 2009, 18:16     #6225
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

sprinkle birdseed around webcam.
Old 26th May 2009, 18:43     #6226
Lightspeed

Quote:

QFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Thug
It would have been interesting to find out how many protesters have actually taken any interest in local council representation or even voted before this hikoi.
You mean it would have been interesting to see how many Maori had tried the Pakeha way before trying the Maori way?

Last edited by Lightspeed : 26th May 2009 at 18:45.
Old 26th May 2009, 18:47     #6227
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
QFT.

You mean it would have been interesting to see how many Maori had tried the Pakeha way before trying the Maori way?
Holy shit, is whitey gonna start getting eaten?
Old 26th May 2009, 18:55     #6228
chubby

^^ only after they've been raped, drowned, and converted.
Old 26th May 2009, 18:55     #6229
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow
disapointed because it's just realized it's about to hit a camera at 25mph

stupid primative animal, let's eat it !
Objects may appear larger than they are in the intard-tubes. Not a lot of eating on those things, but okay.
Old 26th May 2009, 19:35     #6230
Pastor Thug
The Man... The Movie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
QFT.

Huh?
Old 26th May 2009, 19:50     #6231
a-tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP

Last edited by a-tech : 26th May 2009 at 19:51.
Old 26th May 2009, 20:59     #6232
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueballs
Old 26th May 2009, 21:52     #6233
ZengE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
http://imgur.com/jxe8a.jpg

edit: Link due to table break (everyone should be on 24" damn it).
haha - bet he's (or she's) driving that home for a kid

Coolest present delivery method ever!
Old 26th May 2009, 22:48     #6234
EvilLumpy

It's remarkable how such a small and broad agreement like the treaty of waitangi is applied to EVERYTHING

Next time I'm at KFC I'll get told to move tables coz of the treaty. FFS.

It's all about the spirit of the treaty anyway, not who gets what seats and who gets to abuse who's power... sheesh.

Anyway, lol at swiss-ball fail.
Old 26th May 2009, 22:52     #6235
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLumpy
It's remarkable how such a small and broad agreement like the treaty of waitangi is applied to EVERYTHING
It's not applied to everything. Only everything in NZ.
Old 26th May 2009, 23:16     #6236
Trigger
Laserman

By the power of the treaty I will rape your daughter for that comment
Old 26th May 2009, 23:36     #6237
CCS
Stunt Pants

Old 27th May 2009, 00:13     #6238
iiNEMESISii

So CSS how did you get .........?? kissing
lol nah just j/ks man!
its just a funny thing to be looking up dude ??
Old 27th May 2009, 00:16     #6239
CCS
Stunt Pants

Uhh... do you understand how auto-complete works?
Old 27th May 2009, 00:17     #6240
Cyberbob

A discovery!!