Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Console Forum
User Name
Password

Old 6th July 2007, 12:43     #161
FireStorm
Holmium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmonkey
That is pretty wicked news, pretty much puts the whole issue of not buying a 360 cause of the risk of it failing to rest, well done MS.
This is excellent news. Go MS!
Old 6th July 2007, 13:01     #162
BaM
Freeloader

Yeah - yay MS!! \o/ !! o.O

Don't you realise they had to do this? It's not coming from the kindness of their hearts.

E3 is next week, with all the questions from the press, and I suspect the law suits weren't far behind.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:07     #163
Kryten

At least we've gotten confirmation that they've acknowledged the issue and are attempting to deal with it. This is a *good* thing.

Certainly it's made me feel a lot more comfortable about owning one.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:14     #164
untouchable

I get the feeling nothing MS does makes you happy BaM. Why do you even own the console. Do you sit in front of your TV with your xbox on, brooding in a sea of hate.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:21     #165
BaM
Freeloader

Uh, no, not at all. You're laying it on a bit thick aren't you?

I'm just not sure why everyone else is so in love with MS, after basically being lied to about the failures since they started occurring. Now that they come clean and do something they're basically obliged to do anyway, they're apparently the greatest bunch of guys ever.

Give me a break please... Don't forget this is Microsoft here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
At least we've gotten confirmation that they've acknowledged the issue and are attempting to deal with it. This is a *good* thing.

Certainly it's made me feel a lot more comfortable about owning one.
QFT

Last edited by BaM : 6th July 2007 at 13:23.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:22     #166
untouchable

Whos laying it on thick now.

I think everyone is just happy they have finally acknowledged the problem.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:28     #167
BaM
Freeloader

You certainly have the upper hand with your "brooding in a sea of hate" comment.

lol.
Old 6th July 2007, 16:51     #168
?>Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable
I get the feeling nothing MS does makes you happy BaM. Why do you even own the console. Do you sit in front of your TV with your xbox on, brooding in a sea of hate.
Uh, i've gotta say i'm with BaM on this one. I've never been MS-hater 24/7 or anything, but MS extending the warranty does seem to suggest that they were clearly on the bad end of the glory-hole.

When did it become acceptable to live in a "sea of failure-fear"(<3) anyway? I've never seen people being so accepting of this sorta BS. But i gotta say this move would definitely make a lot of people feel much more comfortable with their purchase.

p.s FireStorm = TB on the other end of the spectrum?
Old 6th July 2007, 16:57     #169
Genesis

Good shit Microsoft
Old 6th July 2007, 17:53     #170
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaM
Uh, no, not at all. You're laying it on a bit thick aren't you?
They did something right and I think acknowledgement of that shouldn't be an issue? I'm more than sure if it was Sony instead of Microsoft you'd be all praises.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:12     #171
FireStorm
Holmium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?>Superman
p.s FireStorm = TB on the other end of the spectrum?
haha, not quite. You don't see me posting comments about blu-ray sales or PS3 problems. I couldn't really care less about the PS3. I'm only interested in the console which I currently own, which is the 360.

I'm happy that MS have increased the warranty on all units, which means I'm now covered in case my 360 decides to die on me.
Old 6th July 2007, 20:12     #172
zeekiorage

3 year warranty for "red ring of death" type faults is good us but I too think this is a calculated move from MS in light of the increasing pressure from media and customers.
Old 6th July 2007, 20:42     #173
growl
Give It To Me Baby!

Very angry

Thats would be great news for me IF I didnt purchase my console overseas :P

Because today my Japan launch console just died on me (3 Red Rings of Death). Its weird because a week before I was getting some crashes after just turning the console on but no red rings.

I will give microsoft a call and see how much it will cost to get it repaired, do you think they will actually repair it since its a Japan console and not an Aus/NZ one? because if they send a Refurbished unit then its most likely a Pal box and therefore wont be able to play my ntsc japan region locked games
Old 6th July 2007, 21:29     #174
?>Superman

Hey better to have a new console than no console at all
Old 6th July 2007, 21:32     #175
growl
Give It To Me Baby!

Yay Microsoft!

Just got off the phone with customer support, and they are going to fix it for free!!! (I brought the console in Japan but registered it here in Oz so guess that helped!).

Now i am just waiting for the email with shipping instructions

Now i just hope i get the same console back so i dont have to go buy/replace the games that are region specific (which could end up costing more that what I paid for the console!!)
Old 7th July 2007, 07:12     #176
DeskJet

great news

Last edited by Phantom : 7th July 2007 at 10:51.
Old 7th July 2007, 10:26     #177
]- Volatile -[

i brought an extended warranty (2 years) what does this mean? does it mean it starts when the manufacture one ends?

or do i get re-embursed for the warrenty i brought?
Old 7th July 2007, 10:36     #178
Dwight

This is very comforting news for anyone who had bought into all of the 'the end is nigh' style failures diatribes.
It is a very good move by MS business wise. The other choice was to bite the bullet and hope sales of current version units will continue despite the internet terror wave of MS haters and Sony fanbois
I'm sure it would have hurt their sales as far as the internet geek demographic goes but I think in a lot of instances people seem to forget that the entire world is not made up of 30 something, fat pasty comic book/figurine collectors who spend all their time at work on the net only to come home and fester away on the net some more.
I'd bet there's more than a few consoles that will be bought by parents as gifts for younger kids or teens or bought by any member of normal society who doesn't pore over [the internet] before they spend a few bucks on something they like the look of.

I think this will make a big difference to [some people], and I hope many people feel better about getting one and get some enjoyment out of it as a result.

Last edited by Phantom : 7th July 2007 at 10:54.
Old 7th July 2007, 10:51     #179
ZoSo

Can you get a more pathetic post?
Old 7th July 2007, 10:52     #180
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]- Volatile -[
i brought an extended warranty (2 years) what does this mean? does it mean it starts when the manufacture one ends?

or do i get re-embursed for the warrenty i brought?
I suspect the warranty you purchased overlaps with the now extended warranty from MS.

Also why the hell did you buy an extended warranty? You're covered under the CGA, those things are a scam. Having worked with people that worked with those extended warranty vendors, they'd screw you if you tried to make a claim anyway.
Old 7th July 2007, 11:01     #181
Dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
Fuck up Dwight. Go play forum warrior somewhere else.

Last edited by Phantom : 7th July 2007 at 11:18.
Old 7th July 2007, 11:09     #182
Baal

Old 7th July 2007, 11:14     #183
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight
Too close to home eh Zoso?
Not even close. Just the way you wove BaM's name into your spiteful little post, was pathetic.
The problem with NZ'rs for a long time now is apathy at shitty service. You can hardly blame people for not jumping for joy when a party finally comes to the plate and remedies a problem of their own making. BaM still ackowledged it was a good thing and yet you just had to make something of it to further your own "diatribe".
Old 7th July 2007, 11:32     #184
BaM
Freeloader

Aw, looks like I missed out.
Old 7th July 2007, 11:58     #185
Dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal

Last edited by Phantom : 7th July 2007 at 16:06.
Old 7th July 2007, 12:16     #186
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Haha.
So Phantom will clear out any disparaging remarks I make towards other users but give free reign to any of these little queers to gnash their geek teeth directly at me. And all because I refuse to join your little NZG jerk circle.
Actually, I think it's those who resort to personal abuse and name-calling against other users who get nailed. Lets face it, that sort of 'meanie' response to a post you don't agree with is very silly.
Old 7th July 2007, 12:27     #187
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
Haha.
Here you go Bam, I wouldn't want you to miss out, of all people.
Well that was hardly worth the repost. I liked it more when it was all mysterious.
Old 7th July 2007, 12:57     #188
Dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Actually, I think it's those who resort to personal abuse and name-calling against other users who get nailed. Lets face it, that sort of 'meanie' response to a post you don't agree with is very silly.
If you had read Bams personal stabs at me in the past you might understand just a little.
I thought this conflict would excite me but it isn't managing to measure up.
Maybe I didn't do it as well as I should have.
I'm sorry for wasting your time.
Old 7th July 2007, 13:38     #189
untouchable

I wonder how many failures are actually the 3 red lights. Its a little bit worrying that this is all that will be covered after the first year but like I have always said I think its possible that a lot of other claimed failures could be solved simply by doing things like clearing the cache, and not moving the console while its on.
Old 7th July 2007, 17:39     #190
BaM
Freeloader

o_O

Quote:
If you had read Bams personal stabs at me in the past you might understand just a little.
I don't recall any personal stabs at you. Seems like quite a grudge you have there though. Who are you again?
Old 7th July 2007, 18:06     #191
?>Superman

Hmm i can remember quite a few people telling Dwight to fuck off/die in a fire n other various insults, sounds like he's pretty raged at you BaM.

You might have a vendetta on your hands.
Old 8th July 2007, 00:10     #192
growl
Give It To Me Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable
I wonder how many failures are actually the 3 red lights. Its a little bit worrying that this is all that will be covered after the first year but like I have always said I think its possible that a lot of other claimed failures could be solved simply by doing things like clearing the cache, and not moving the console while its on.
I guess a lot of failures could be due to mis-treatring them, I've never had one die until now and I brought it in December when they first came out over there, not sure if its 2 years ago but its lasted a long time and i have looked after it.

Before it died on me (3red rings of death) a week before when i tried to play a game it froze and had to turn the console off/on again and it kept doing it, so i turned it off, left it for a bit, tried again with a different game and it went fine for the rest of the evening, so this weekend i turned it on and it kept freezing at the dash board, few resets and it didnt even display the dashboard, few more resets and it gives me the rings of death.

I know its not an overheating or air flow problem as the console was cold! (winter now) and it had plenty or room/air to breathe and was always Horizontal.

Maybe all consoles will die, they just take a little bit longer due to care and build quality.

Will be interesting to see what my console will be like when i get it back (if its repaired or refurbished) and see how long it lasts.

But because of this happening i have decided to only purchase games for my 360 that aren't aslo available for the Playstation 3.

Reason for this is because PS3 games are region free unlike the xbox360 (Japan 360 and half my games are from asia and will only work on an Japan 360, so i'd have to keep buying Japanese 360's everytime they break (if they give me re-furbished pal units) and thats going to be a pain). Where as the PS3 will play any region ps3 game so if the ps3 consoled did die it wouldnt be as bad getting the replacement or a repaired/re-furbished one.

Umm should've kept this post small. sorry!!
Old 8th July 2007, 19:32     #193
chiQ
Frag-muff

Thumbs up

Nah, that's a good post. There's no bashing, bollocks, or boohoo in it. You avoided the three Bs! I really hope they can fix your existing box so you don't have to 'trade me' your games and rebuy them all.
Old 9th July 2007, 10:13     #194
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
I suspect the warranty you purchased overlaps with the now extended warranty from MS.

Also why the hell did you buy an extended warranty? You're covered under the CGA, those things are a scam. Having worked with people that worked with those extended warranty vendors, they'd screw you if you tried to make a claim anyway.
Let's say there wasn't a problem with Xbox 360 and MS didn't extend the warranty past a year. If his Xbox had died after 2 years are you saying his extended warranty is usless? I don't get it. Can you explain.

I am genuienly interested, as I have heard that before that extended warrantys are a scam and not worth getting. To me it is just so hard not to get them sometimes exspecially when you are shelling out for something worth 6k and only having to pay $200 to extend the warrant another 5 years.
Old 9th July 2007, 13:47     #195
Phantom
May contain nuts

Under the CGA your appliance is guaranteed to last a "reasonable time". Having seen people argue that their $1000 washing machine packing up nearly 5 years after purchase wasn't a reasonable time - and win - I suggest that a good 3-4 years would likely be reasonable for a videogame console.

That said, pursuing this under the CGA could be a pain in the ass - it's not something i've actually had to do (normally the threat of such action is enough to get the results I need).

The warranty vendors (the third party ones i mean, that you can buy at appliance chains) tend to be nasty, nasty pieces of work. It's all rosy and nice up front but come time to make a claim and they'll start saying "evidence of being dropped, was full of dust and water and rat droppings and cat hair... " etc. Basically they'll come up with some whack ass excuse to not pay out.
Old 9th July 2007, 14:33     #196
Evilmonkey

Oh ok so it is basically like the old cell phone warranty. Sorry sir it had water damage. WTF! .
Old 9th July 2007, 19:31     #197
zeekiorage

Extended warranty is a gamble. I had the misfortune of having to make a claim against my Pansonic MiniDV camcorder in middle of December 2006, purchased from Noel Leeming. No image on the LCD. Ever so helpful reps in the store turned a bit reluctunt and were asking lots of questions. I was warned that I will be charged $60 flat fee if damage to the camera was detected. It took more than a week for them to confirm that it's a part failure and they are waiting for the part to arrive.

I didn't see my camera for 2 more months. After a lot of phone calls I finally got the camera back in working condition in middle of March 2007.

I am pretty sure I paid around 300 dollars for the extended warranty. If they had managed to prove that the camera was damaged then I don't know what I would have done.

First and last extended warranty I ever took. Next time I will save money and just take my chances with the CGA. It can't be any worse.
Old 10th July 2007, 11:46     #198
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

360 internal redesign might help reduce hardware failures..

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/200...me_falcon.html
Old 10th July 2007, 20:19     #199
?>Superman

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7972

Another linkypoo

Quote:
The new chips are not only smaller and roughly 50 percent cheaper to produce than their 90nm counterpart, but they are also cooler. Cooler-running chips coupled with a revised cooling solution would go a long way to eradicating the Xbox 360’s fatal flaw: the Red Ring of Death (RROD).
I imagine this is interesting news for some people
Old 10th July 2007, 20:38     #200
zeekiorage

XBox 360 SP1 at last?