NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 29th January 2009, 18:11     #1
[BT]MikeMan

Georgie Pie is coming to West Auckland........

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/restaurant...ectid=10553434

Basicly starting up with what is supposed to be the GP recipie

YAY for living in West Auckland and I hope McD's leave him alone but it sounds like he is ready to fight if they try and make an issue of it.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:14     #2
Mickey

Wonder wherebouts. I vote for Westgate, although I heard a rumour it was going in opp Lynn Mall in the current subway shop.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:18     #3
[BT]MikeMan

Kelston Shops by Foodtown. Opposite the High School is what I have heard, the Subway closed there a while ago and it has a drive through window already there that Subway built.

There are builders in there ATM and it is being redone as a food place you can tell. The colour scheme from what I saw the other day is red and yellow so that matches as well.

SO looking forward to this.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:34     #4
Mickey

Fail! That is miles away from everywhere. It used to be in Kelston, where the Mcdonalds is.
Old 29th January 2009, 20:46     #5
[BT]MikeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey
Fail! That is miles away from everywhere. It used to be in Kelston, where the Mcdonalds is.
You know that is like 50M from where they are opening right?

McDonalds, Mobil and Foodtown + a heap of shops on one side of West Coast Rd.

A few shops including the new pie shop on the other side of West Coast Rd.

Old 29th January 2009, 20:49     #6
LordP

Opening opposite a high school is a brilliant move, those pies were almost a requirement for students when I was at high school
Old 29th January 2009, 20:50     #7
[BT]MikeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP
Opening opposite a high school is a brilliant move, those pies were almost a requirement for students when I was at high school
There are two high schools (Kelston Girls and Kelston Boys) and an Intermediate within 400M of the shop
Old 29th January 2009, 20:57     #8
Biff

As a 300kg dude with diabetes 1 & 2 (and a heart murmur) I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON THE GEORGIE PIES!! -apologies to those taxpayers who will fund my octuple bypass.
Old 29th January 2009, 20:58     #9
Mickey

I havent been in that area since my parents moved from Oratia. I'm going to the cemetry tomorrow might have a drive by.
Old 29th January 2009, 20:58     #10
p01s0n

in before xpandnz ruins his pants in a nostalgic-for-shit-fast-food orgasm
Old 30th January 2009, 00:23     #11
Shazam

A pie shop near kelston boys is almost guaranteed to succeed~
Old 30th January 2009, 00:45     #12
Heresy
yawn.

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam
definitely a recession-proof business model!
Old 30th January 2009, 00:56     #13
Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam
Yet that was one of the first Georgie pies to be converted into a Maccas due to poor sales.
Old 30th January 2009, 01:29     #14
doppelgänger of someone

Maybe I got my impression when Georgie Pie was dying, but I remember its pie being absolute shite. It was hard as cardboard. The stores themselves were super depressing, they were like an hospital ward where Santa goes for his chemotherapy.

Last edited by doppelgänger of someone : 30th January 2009 at 01:30.
Old 30th January 2009, 01:45     #15
Nightcrawler

I remember my brother getting a staple in his pie. Lucky sob!

I don't remember them being great, but I was never a huge pie fan (please don't lynch me)

Cool to hear though!
Old 30th January 2009, 02:52     #16
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
The stores themselves were super depressing, they were like an hospital ward where Santa goes for his chemotherapy.
Lol irl

All this shit about how the pies will supposedly be made to the same recipe (or, y'know, something close to it... like... uhh... I dunno, a pastry casing with mince, gravy and cheese in it anyway) and the name will be the same but... nah not really, it'll be GP Pies - not Georgie Pie... all this points to one thing. IT'S NOT REALLY GEORGE PIE! As much as some of you fat nerds would like to believe it, it will never live up to your nostalgic memories of what Georgie Pie was. Get over it!
Old 30th January 2009, 04:38     #17
lornalow

I think a lot of people are completely fed up with the bad press MacDonalds receives. Maybe it´s time for something new? It might take off again! I found this link on the internet, there´s even a "bring back Georgie Pie" Facebook group!!! Maybe you guys should all join!!
http://www.snice.co.nz/2008/09/25/ge...-back-sort-of/. There´s an old advert on under that link as well.. it´s amazing how much the advertising for the fast food industry has really taken a leap!!!
Old 30th January 2009, 05:06     #18
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There's one thing that many of you seem to be overlooking:

That Georgie Pie was tasteless overpriced glop.

It's dead. We are all the better for it.
Old 30th January 2009, 06:48     #19
QWERTY?

yeh but it didnt close because it sucked, it closed because macca's bought up all the sites and converted them over.

i only ever got the fish and chips there, but I was like 7 at the time..
Old 30th January 2009, 10:34     #20
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornalow
Maybe you guys should all join!!
Not a fucking chance.
Old 30th January 2009, 10:46     #21
Luse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
There's one thing that many of you seem to be overlooking:

That Georgie Pie was tasteless overpriced glop.

It's dead. We are all the better for it.
QFT - My memories are of cardboardesque pastry encasing 'mince', which had the consistancy of yoghurt and tasted like water.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:17     #22
MACHINE

I was under the impression Food town still sold georgie pie clones?

I can't remember the last time i ate a pie.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:46     #23
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Eat some pies in a Flash!
Old 30th January 2009, 12:50     #24
_Incubus_

Georgie Pie was revolting grey gunk encased in pastry. The only time I ever ate them was when I was drunk wandering home to my flat when I was at Uni. Trying to eat them sober was impossible....

The pies here in Aus suck, seems that Au & NZ share the same food standard requiring only 25% meat flesh to make a pie. For some reason there are pretty decent pies in NZ (Ponsonby Pies etc).
Old 30th January 2009, 12:52     #25
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Georgie Pie was revolting grey gunk encased in pastry.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:54     #26
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
The pies here in Aus suck, seems that Au & NZ share the same food standard requiring only 25% meat flesh to make a pie. For some reason there are pretty decent pies in NZ (Ponsonby Pies etc).
Kiwi spirit wouldn't allow us to make shit pies. It just wouldn't be proper.\

Aussies on the other hand... are cunts.
Old 30th January 2009, 14:55     #27
[BT]MikeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHINE
I was under the impression Food town still sold georgie pie clones?

I can't remember the last time i ate a pie.
They stopped those in about 2002 or 2003
Old 30th January 2009, 15:14     #28
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
I always thought Aus had a lower requirement on the amount of meat?
Old 30th January 2009, 15:58     #29
Fx.

aus pies are fucking terrible

the best ones i have found are the mrs macs ones servos sell
:|

anyways yeah always prefered a good bakery pie to GP
Old 30th January 2009, 15:59     #30
Hurtuso

maggots are technically meat right?
Old 30th January 2009, 16:01     #31
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Georgie Pie was pretty good but half the thrill, for me anyway, was how fuckin cheap it was. Jester's Pies are about a million times better than Georgie Pie, even Nostalgic Georgie Pie. But they are expensive and small. Georgie Pie was value king
Old 30th January 2009, 16:09     #32
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Seb
Georgie Pie was value king
Meh, Big Ben pie from anywhere in South Auckland for $1. Pretty much the same as Georgie Pie.
Old 30th January 2009, 16:13     #33
HO-Hoon

Quote:
Yeah it was more to the Westside of the carpark where the kebab place is. Think there used to be a Furniture shop where the current McDonalds is.

I'm stoked as that Kelston Georgie Pie is the one I went to almost every day back at school.

However I can't see it being successful. Jesters and other places (even the servo Patties/Hallal pies) are way better these days and once the GP nostalgia wears off there won't be much return value.
Old 30th January 2009, 16:14     #34
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Meh, Big Ben pie from anywhere in South Auckland for $1. Pretty much the same as Georgie Pie.
I just can't fathom how there can be anything in those pies intended for human consumption at $1 price
Old 30th January 2009, 16:15     #35
Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Seb
Georgie Pie was pretty good but half the thrill, for me anyway, was how fuckin cheap it was. Jester's Pies are about a million times better than Georgie Pie, even Nostalgic Georgie Pie. But they are expensive and small. Georgie Pie was value king

Jesters Morning Glory is the best. Two for one deals on the back of supermarket dockets!
Old 30th January 2009, 16:20     #36
Jonas Undrawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Kiwi spirit wouldn't allow us to make shit pies. It just wouldn't be proper.\

Aussies on the other hand... are cunts.
in my experience kiwis dont make very good pies (either overpriced, or the pastry is too dry). Malaysians, however, make the best pies. Youĺl pay $2.40 for a Malaysian Steak & Mushroom pie, and the pastry is full of vitality (?), and all that good shit.

Go the Malaysians!
Old 30th January 2009, 16:21     #37
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger
I just can't fathom how there can be anything in those pies intended for human consumption at $1 price
Yeah, pretty much the same as Georgie Pie
Old 30th January 2009, 16:22     #38
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Undrawing
in my experience kiwis dont make very good pies
YOU SHUT YOUR FACE, AUSSIE BOY!

Quote:
Go the Malaysians!
Gotta get more of those buggers in our bakeries then
Old 30th January 2009, 16:22     #39
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Big Ben pies are soft and flakey, what I remember was distinctive about GP was its crunchy outer crust and the soft pastry in the middle. Also when you bought a GP it was heated to the right temp so you could be a fat cunt and eat it really fast if you wanted. Big Bens are way too hot when you buy them from the supermarket. I dunno there's quite a few differences with Big Bens. I've never liked Big Bens to be honest, heaps of fat and gristley shit in there, don't remember that in GP.

God damn I want a pie
Old 30th January 2009, 16:24     #40
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Quote:
Jesters Morning Glory is the best. Two for one deals on the back of supermarket dockets!
Lol @ morning glory. Female marketing manager ftw!