Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 20th June 2006, 22:35     #201
Bahamut
The Lord of the Dragons

Very nice Simon.

That would have burnt a big fat hole in the pockets of whomever you purchased it from. They would have made a loss just by upgrading you to the Black MacBook let alone everything else.
Old 21st June 2006, 01:18     #202
Simon
SHG

That, at least, is one upside to having dealt with a reseller under a company account. The delays in delivery of this one laptop had the potential to jeopardise a lot more business than just mine.
Old 21st June 2006, 01:31     #203
BadNova

You lucky little bastard.
Old 21st June 2006, 09:17     #204
Genesis

I'm now hoping to get one of these through work !
Old 21st June 2006, 10:52     #205
s0nic

bastard!

ive put my name down with 3 different retailers.

fingers crossed...
Old 21st June 2006, 13:22     #206
BadNova

So - any word on the gaming performance of these things under windows?
Old 21st June 2006, 13:29     #207
BadNova

After a quick google around - I see the results are not so great
Old 21st June 2006, 14:02     #208
Kickass

For gaming you want to pick up the macbook Pro , it has a x1600 video card and can be run most new games at high frame rates.

7300+ 3dmark in 2003....
Old 21st June 2006, 14:56     #209
BadNova

That's why I said I wanted a macbook with the video chipset from the macbook pro a couple pages back.
Old 21st June 2006, 17:44     #210
Simon
SHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNova
You lucky little bastard.
Soooo pretty

Haven't had time to set up dual-booting or virtualisation yet though.
Old 21st June 2006, 17:47     #211
BadNova

Anecdotal review plz

Impressions, hurry up, type them on that shiny new macbook keyboard
Old 21st June 2006, 18:05     #212
Jonas Undrawing

this might call for some mac starcraft
Old 21st June 2006, 20:29     #213
Simon
SHG

Is there an Intel OSX binary?
Old 21st June 2006, 22:05     #214
Bahamut
The Lord of the Dragons

They haven't yet released (or announced) Mac Binaries for StarCraft but apparently it runs pretty well under Rosetta. See here for the Mac OS X Installer.
Old 21st June 2006, 22:13     #215
Jonas Undrawing

eeeexcellent...
Old 22nd June 2006, 13:56     #216
Simon
SHG

Downloading
Old 22nd June 2006, 14:04     #217
Clay

Crying

I want one!! But I cannae afford it at the moment
Old 22nd June 2006, 14:10     #218
Simon
SHG

I actually installed Warcraft 3 last night just as a performance test, and it ran pretty well under Rosetta. Not FANTASTICALLY, but pretty well. Still, I've got Windows installed on another partition now, so I may as well use that for games.
Old 22nd June 2006, 16:44     #219
Foggerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
I want one!! But I cannae afford it at the moment
Aww come on, you'll just sell it in three months time a buy a new gaming rig anyway
Old 22nd June 2006, 16:53     #220
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggerty
Aww come on, you'll just sell it in three months time a buy a new gaming rig anyway
Shut it biartch, who said anything about selling my main PC?
Old 24th June 2006, 13:44     #221
Simon
SHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
I actually installed Warcraft 3 last night just as a performance test, and it ran pretty well under Rosetta. Not FANTASTICALLY, but pretty well. Still, I've got Windows installed on another partition now, so I may as well use that for games.
After a bit more experimentation, I'm gonna stick with the above as a policy. I'll boot to Windows for games and for those Win32 applications that I just can't do without yet, OS X for day-to-day everything else. I didn't get this Macbook as a gaming rig.
Old 24th June 2006, 17:25     #222
homercles

One thing that'll make life much easier is when Flip4Mac goes Universal (allows Quicktime to play wmv).
Old 24th June 2006, 18:52     #223
Kanz

VLC 4 mac?
Old 24th June 2006, 20:00     #224
Simon
SHG

Why not just use Windows Media Player for OS X?
Old 24th June 2006, 21:33     #225
Kidona

I have a dilemma, i'm using a Telecom T3G card with my G4 powerbook but the new Macbook does not come with a standard PCMCIA slot.

I know overseas providers like verizon are rolling out PCI express cards for the Macbook pro but not sure if there are any PCMCIA to USB adapters of some sort.

The other alternative would be to use a bluetooth mobile using 3G connection but i've got 1 year remaining on my T3G contract and don't really want to pay an early termination fee. I'm pretty much stuffed without my card which in turn is holding me up on my move to the Macbook.
Old 24th June 2006, 23:34     #226
homercles

Quote:
What I want is a plugin for Firefox. Got hold of a beta intel Flip4Mac and seems ok though doesn't always work.

VLC is great - I use it for everything else.

Anyone manage to view those World Cup highlights off the official site?
Old 25th June 2006, 00:07     #227
Kickass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidona
I have a dilemma, i'm using a Telecom T3G card with my G4 powerbook but the new Macbook does not come with a standard PCMCIA slot.

I know overseas providers like verizon are rolling out PCI express cards for the Macbook pro but not sure if there are any PCMCIA to USB adapters of some sort.

The other alternative would be to use a bluetooth mobile using 3G connection but i've got 1 year remaining on my T3G contract and don't really want to pay an early termination fee. I'm pretty much stuffed without my card which in turn is holding me up on my move to the Macbook.
you should be able to get hold on a Nokia CDMA bluetooth phone, this means you only have to pay the upgrade fee for the new phone. Nokia 6255? maybe?
Old 25th June 2006, 03:36     #228
Bahamut
The Lord of the Dragons

Quote:
For starters, have you actually tried using this abomination? It supports ONLY the WMA and WMV formats, and is just nasty to use.

Secondly, its support has been discontinued, with even Microsoft suggesting you use Flip4Mac.
Old 25th June 2006, 11:02     #229
Simon
SHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut
For starters, have you actually tried using this abomination? It supports ONLY the WMA and WMV formats, and is just nasty to use.

Secondly, its support has been discontinued, with even Microsoft suggesting you use Flip4Mac.
Ah, didn't know that. I've got it installed but not yet used it.
Old 25th June 2006, 11:41     #230
Bahamut
The Lord of the Dragons

Which reminds me, about the only way to remove it properly is good ole
Code:
sudo rm -rf
Old 25th June 2006, 12:35     #231
homercles

followed by

$ dpkg --clean soul
Old 25th June 2006, 13:09     #232
Simon
SHG

As I've been browsing OS X FAQs and the obligatory tips-and-tricks sites it's become evident that the Mac user community is now divided into "traditional MacOS users" and "UNIX users". For example, I wanted to know how to reset a forgotten root password. A bit of googling offered me two solutions:

1. Find your original OS X install CD and boot your Mac from it. Click this button, step through that menu, scroll through these items, click on this icon, reset the password.

or

2. "sudo passwd root". Duh.

I had to smile

It's like half the Mac people out there are totally clueless GUI users, and the other half are UNIX gurus.
Old 25th June 2006, 13:19     #233
BaM
Freeloader

I'm looking at a Mac Mini to replace this noisy shuttle in the lounge. Am I right in assuming I can play 720p video with no worries on the basic model? It won't be doing much else.
Old 25th June 2006, 13:34     #234
Hannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanz
how much for the RAM?
I got this ram here since many mac users recommended it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231069

sent to my folks and forwarded to me as a gift

also, if anyone has struggled to find a damn good ftp client for osx look no further. I have tried over a dosen and this one has answered my prayers:

Fetch: http://fetchsoftworks.com/

Things I like: drag & drop, if your session times out it auto-reconnects without you even knowing, can view file names starting with ".", can view files in your ftp directory larger than 2GB, has sftp, full chmod functions, etc. I almost went nuts trying to find a good osx ftp client this app nails it.
Old 25th June 2006, 15:40     #235
homercles

It's great having all the Linux/Unix commands at your disposal.
Old 25th June 2006, 15:47     #236
Simon
SHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal
also, if anyone has struggled to find a damn good ftp client for osx look no further. I have tried over a dosen and this one has answered my prayers:

Fetch: [url]http://fetchsoftworks.com/[/url.

Better than Transmit? I've been giving that a bit of a thrashing and it's performed pretty well.
Old 25th June 2006, 16:54     #237
Hannibal

Quote:
Better than Transmit? I've been giving that a bit of a thrashing and it's performed pretty well.
my main prob is i have an ftp session that times out after a few minutes, so most of the other apps i would have to force a disconnect then reconnect. with fetch if you click on an action but there is no connection is just auto connects and performs the action. i can't recall if transmit could see "." or files larger than 2gb i think i had issues there too..
Old 26th June 2006, 19:50     #238
Kidona

Picked up my Black Macbook today. After calling Telecom about my T3G card they have said they'll upgrade me to a mobile phone for free so that solves my PCMCIA issue.

I was originally quoted by the store I ordered my Macbook $675 for 2gigs of Ram! Once I had the Macbook in my hands went straight to XP Computers and picked up 2gb of ram at a cost of $258.

About to set it up now and can finally sell my Trusty Powerbook
Old 26th June 2006, 20:34     #239
homercles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaM
I'm looking at a Mac Mini to replace this noisy shuttle in the lounge. Am I right in assuming I can play 720p video with no worries on the basic model? It won't be doing much else.
Thinking of doing the same and looking at some Google hits: Seems to be ok - even the Solo seems to handle 720p fine and the Duo can do 1080p with no issues.
Old 27th June 2006, 11:38     #240
Hannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidona
went straight to XP Computers and picked up 2gb of ram at a cost of $258.
Damn, that's pretty good. I have heard the macs are picky about ram so let us know if it works..