Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 31st January 2011, 23:17     #1281
cryocore

Rolling eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
typical bullshit justification for piracy tbh.
What pray tell makes you entitled to do this?
Its this dumbfuck thinking that annoys me.

So according to you if I cant be fucked buying something, or I deem it too expensive I should just take it anyway? Cunt thinking right there.

Whats with this sense of entitlement some smacktards have these days?

Either you deem something worth buying and then consume it, or you forgo buying it and dont consume it. Bullshit qualifiers around digital media is nothing more than a copout.

I do download TV shows... but I also buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays of that show when they get released either locally or I import them. So I always end up paying for the product when it becomes feasible to do so (case in point I will have Season 1 of The Walking Dead on Blu-Ray even before it plays here on NZ TV).

I havnt illegally downloaded a movie, game or song in over 6 years because I grew the fuck up and stopped stealing shit.

Anyone who honestly thinks Illegally acquiring Movies, Games, or Music is OK then that person in my opinion deserves to either be put behind bars/Fined, and/or have their bandwidth throttled to only allow email/basic internet access.

Last edited by cryocore : 31st January 2011 at 23:19.
Old 31st January 2011, 23:22     #1282
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryocore
Either you deem something worth buying and then consume it, or you forgo buying it and dont consume it.
or you just dont fucking care, and download it cos its more convenient. nobody is trying to justify shit here. the age of going to the cinema is dying out.
Old 31st January 2011, 23:47     #1283
xpandnz

Cinemas are still great. There are a lot of movie's where the director has a certain experience they want to share with an audience and in a good cinema with a great sound system (and on film) lets the director do just that.

Then all of a sudden people are willing to give up that experience for sheer convince and watch a shitty telesync of even worse, cams.
Old 1st February 2011, 00:23     #1284
nostrom0

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
I've bought more games in the last 6 months than I have in the previous 20 years due to steam (and steam sales of course).
Not only that, I've bought games off steam that I haven't played and probably won't play.
Old 1st February 2011, 01:00     #1285
doppelgänger of someone

I got sick of the new stuff so I went back to classics. Watched Rashomon, I could have sworn it was written by a post-modernist. It is not as epic and entertaining as Seven Samurai, but awesome all the same.
Old 1st February 2011, 06:20     #1286
herp

Quote:
I do download TV shows... but I also buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays of that show when they get released either locally or I import them. So I always end up paying for the product when it becomes feasible to do so
Sounds like typical bullshit justification for piracy!!!
Old 1st February 2011, 09:44     #1287
aR Que

cryocore is a faggot.

There, i said it.
Old 1st February 2011, 09:50     #1288
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpandnz
Cinemas are still great. There are a lot of movie's where the director has a certain experience they want to share with an audience and in a good cinema with a great sound system (and on film) lets the director do just that.

Then all of a sudden people are willing to give up that experience for sheer convince and watch a shitty telesync of even worse, cams.
I fucking hate .. and see no point to watching Telesyncs......

I'll go to the movies for stuff I know will be good .. or MAY be good...

I save my Tangy Fruit Supply for the sure fires...
4 left ..... gawd fucking damn it.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 1st February 2011, 11:11     #1289
wazza
*flex*

there's some real noobs in here.

telesync's aren't worth watching? what is this? 2005?
Old 1st February 2011, 11:28     #1290
xpandnz

for lack of any watching quality, no.

Go see a movie like Buried. I swear watching a Telesync is like going on a train ride thinking it is a suspended rollercoaster in the states.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:43     #1291
wazza
*flex*

You have no idea what you're talking about. Cheers.

edit: simply put. HD Camera + Direct Line Audio. This isn't 5 years ago, you bum.

Last edited by wazza : 1st February 2011 at 11:45.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:53     #1292
wazza
*flex*

and don't get me wrong. next to cyrocore i'm the biggest nerd out there regarding movies. i have about 300 blu-ray titles and over 1000 dvd's. so yeah, i'm ALL about quality. but if imagine/flawless manage to release a 10/10 TS of a movie that's not going to be out for a month or so in this country then fucking damn straight i'm gonna grab that shit. i rarely grab a TS, but when a good one pops up, you can bet your bottom dollar sonny jim i'll grab that shit.

i also see a movie a week at the cinema, so RAH
Old 1st February 2011, 11:55     #1293
crocos

Still blurrier than a DVD rip half the time. HD just describes what you'll need to buy a new one of.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 1st February 2011, 12:03     #1294
Ajax
Architeuthis

I still go the movies sometimes but as others have said, it's expensive and the experience generally sucks unless you're paying a premium in gold class or something. Motherfuckers be texting, muttering to each other, squeezing past you to take a piss because they bought a huge Coke and drank it in the first minutes, and endless other annoyances. When I went to see Tron Legacy, some asshole even took an incoming call and had a good long chat. Fuck that shit, cinemas should be allowed to use cellphone jammers.

Anyway, awards season is sweet - screeners galore.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:07     #1295
[WanG] Wandarah

Quote:

Word - Try to hit Penthouse Cinema in Wellington at least once a fortnight - comfy huge seats, decent films, and you can buy a bottle of wine, or beer, to take in with ya.

And the other cinema goers are heading towards death, on average, so no rudeness etc.

Except of course, for my drunk ass.

Last edited by [WanG] Wandarah : 1st February 2011 at 12:09.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:11     #1296
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
or you just dont fucking care, and download it cos its more convenient.
Old 1st February 2011, 12:18     #1297
wazza
*flex*

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Anyway, awards season is sweet - screeners galore.
Old 1st February 2011, 13:07     #1298
xpandnz

Haven't seen as many around though. Not the good quality ones like we had from way back.
Old 1st February 2011, 13:22     #1299
Fx.

gf was bored the other night so we went down the local vid shop (turns out i had a membership from years back) and grabbed a few romantic comedies (invention of lying, ugly truth etc)

man it was just AWESOME sitting through the 10minutes of unskippable DONT PIRATE THIS and CHECK OUT OUR UPCOMING MOVIES

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
clearly that shit doesnt stop piracy so just stop fucking doing it then maybe more people will buy dvds (/bluerays etc)

doesnt piss me off as much as the $50 trip to the movies (tickets+snacks) which ahs the same DONT PIRATE THIS adds, fuck that gets to me. I PAID TO BE HERE YOU DICKKNUCKLES SHUT UP OR I WILL PIRATE IT JUST TO FEEL LIKE I SPITED YOU

(also piracy isnt stealing its copyright infringement, another thing that bothers me heavily, steal someones car = they dont have a car anymore)

(not justifying piracy as such just the industry needs to gtfo dark ages)

Last edited by Fx. : 1st February 2011 at 13:27.
Old 1st February 2011, 19:28     #1300
dylan
Huh?

Tamara Drewe.

Better than I thought it would be. Quite subtle. But it's english so that's pretty normal.

Why is it that in some movies Gemma Arterton is only so-so and in some movies she's fucking smoking? (n.b. she's smoking in this)
Old 1st February 2011, 20:13     #1301
lektronimo

Heh, one time I rented 300 on dvd and started watching it on my laptop... only to have it stutter and be pretty much unwatchable after a few minutes. While I was faffling about on my computer, I fired up utorrent and downloaded it in fifteen minutes, then watched it. And no, the disc was not scratched or dirty...

Another movie which played on my PS3 was Duplicity on Bluray, and after I updated the firmware for whatever reason the same disc won't play anymore. I rented it again just in case it was a fucked copy, and again it couldn't work on my PS3. I will pirate it next time since that works.
Old 1st February 2011, 21:07     #1302
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:

So according to you if I cant be fucked buying something, or I deem it too expensive I should just take it anyway? Cunt thinking right there.

Either you deem something worth buying and then consume it, or you forgo buying it and dont consume it. Bullshit qualifiers around digital media is nothing more than a copout.

I do download TV shows... but I also buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays of that show when they get released either locally or I import them. So I always end up paying for the product when it becomes feasible to do so (case in point I will have Season 1 of The Walking Dead on Blu-Ray even before it plays here on NZ TV).

I havnt illegally downloaded a movie, game or song in over 6 years because I grew the fuck up and stopped stealing shit.

Anyone who honestly thinks Illegally acquiring Movies, Games, or Music is OK then that person in my opinion deserves to either be put behind bars/Fined, and/or have their bandwidth throttled to only allow email/basic internet access.
lol

"RAGE ABOUT PEOPLE THAT JUSTIFY DOWNLOADING MOVIES AND NAME CALLING AND SOME MORE RAGE ABOUT HOW THEIR EXCUSES FOR PIRACY ARE BULLSHIT"

"BULLSHIT EXCUSES FOR DOWNLOADING TV SHOWS"

Seriously, it doesn't matter if you're going to buy the DVD in the future - if you've downloaded that TV show, you've Illegally Acquired it. If you can't wait 'till you've parted with cash and got the discs in your hands, you don't deserve to have an internet connection.

Or, y'know, watch it on On Demand or hulu or some such. Which is where the industry (both tv and movies) should be going, not fighting the uphill battle against what is clearly a superior way to deliver their product.

Give people options that work, and they'll use them. Fuck up those options, and they'll go to your competition. The cat's out of the bag, and it's torrenting like a motherfuck.
Old 1st February 2011, 21:14     #1303
xpandnz

I blame Generation Y and there want it now bullshit attitude. Pretty much sums me up.
Old 1st February 2011, 21:26     #1304
xpandnz

*their

fml
Old 1st February 2011, 22:23     #1305
Lightspeed

Quote:

Ah, nothing like the sanctuary of moralism.
Old 1st February 2011, 22:36     #1306
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
I blame Generation Y and there want it now bullshit attitude. Pretty much sums me up.
explain my uncle/father/stepfather. baby boomers. it's the way they do it too.
Old 1st February 2011, 23:01     #1307
fidgit
Always itchy

yeah but they totes learned from us kids-with-PC's
Old 1st February 2011, 23:09     #1308
wazza
*flex*

PC World Magazine actually lead them onto what they needed to know. I didn't tell any of them anything. I actually rage watching the way they get their torrents. Public Trackers, what a joke.
Old 1st February 2011, 23:52     #1309
tor

I download back catalogues all the time when I hear a band I like.

Fortunately I am one of the few people in the world that can't pirate music (I am licensed to have pretty much any digitised music in the world from the labels).

I download because I can't be arsed searching through the terabytes of music I have to find the stuff.

I figure if everyone was like me things would work for everyone involved. Pay $10 a month (we paid way more than that because we intend to sell the music) and you can download anything you like for personal use. The numbers stack up way high, it would be a new boom for the labels.

I believe the current back catalogue of the labels is currently ranging in the 20TB area. That is about 2K worth of hard disks if you wanted to download the lot. 2K for all the music in the world, yeah I think anyone with a CD collection of more than 100 CD's would go for it, especially if you could just order the current back catalogue and have a bunch of disks delivered to your door.

Still don't really understand why the labels don't figure this out. Warners back catalogue comes in 6 disks (they still use 1TB disks) with a $900 customs value declaration. Would you pay, say twice that with an ongoing monthly fee of $10 for the downloads to keep up to date for the warner catalogue?

And would that be more than you pay on CD's?
Old 1st February 2011, 23:56     #1310
fidgit
Always itchy

Hold on... all the music Warners sells in Australia (or is this their entire collection) gets valued by them at $900, on 6 medium density discs?

And they want people to pay $1000 per song or they'll take them to court?

Fuck.

I would happily pay an 'all you can eat' price for music, so long as it was reasonable, the quality was good, and I can use the files how I like (so - which ever device, without having to muck around to get them on my ipod/xbox/phone whatevs). But I do not believe a service like this exists in NZ.

-edit-
Would also do the same for tv and movies (ala pay-Hulu, so long as I can also put the files on my media player to use when I want)

Last edited by fidgit : 1st February 2011 at 23:57.
Old 2nd February 2011, 00:56     #1311
lektronimo

Don't know about TVNZ, but in some other countries you have to pay for broadcast television. Why not a music tax of some sort which entitles anyone who donates (so non-compulsory) to an all you can listen or download model?
Old 2nd February 2011, 02:59     #1312
fidgit
Always itchy

biggest issue with that is, it'll end up controlled the way the royalties from radio stations and the tax on blank media is now - majority goes to the major labels, who divvy it up as they see fit. I listen to some majorly mainstream stuff, but I also listen to a lot of people that aren't signed to one of those major labels, so they'd get fucked in the revenue-split.

But a system that tracked what you actually played and split your donation/tax/payment that way, I'd be keen for.

(ha so kind of like if you went into, say, a "store".. and gave them money in exchange for a specific "disc" of music.....)

=edit= I'd need to give this more thought re: movies, I'm talking only music above
Old 2nd February 2011, 04:11     #1313
Lord Pidgington

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
I got sick of the new stuff so I went back to classics. Watched Rashomon, I could have sworn it was written by a post-modernist. It is not as epic and entertaining as Seven Samurai, but awesome all the same.
The only cool post on this page.
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:55     #1314
tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
Hold on... all the music Warners sells in Australia (or is this their entire collection) gets valued by them at $900, on 6 medium density discs?
Customs declaration value. Close enough to their entire back catalogue. Was pointing out more that they could move into a different model without having to buy an outlandishly high number of drives.
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:10     #1315
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
I do download TV shows... but I also buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays of that show when they get released either locally or I import them. So I always end up paying for the product when it becomes feasible to do so
Can I download movies without guilt if I also have Sky Movies, so I am paying to watch them on my home cinema when it's feasible to do so? :P
Old 4th February 2011, 12:52     #1316
leadinjector

the fighter

was kinda dissapointed by the fighter tbh, the acting was spot on and theres something about amy mcadams that i cant place that makes me wanna slam the shit out of her, but i felt like the story couldnt decide whether it was about micky ward or dicky eklund. trying to cram both their stories into one movie made it seem a little frantic, and they didnt even get into what made Ward famous, i.e. his fights with Gatti.

the fight scenes were not up to scratch imo, they never are in boxing movies but they were so unrealistic to be laughable, everyone has seen a boxing match before so i dont see why they cant do this shit properly. tried to be cinderella man, but didnt quite do it.

Christian Bale was amazing, especially if youve ever seen any interviews etc with Dicky Eklund, but tbh their portrayal of Ward made me dislike him for being a fucking softcock about everything.

and if i hear a "the guys who worked with ward on this movie reckon he could go pro" im gonna fucking stab someone, i swear every boxing movie ever they say that shit (raging bull, ali, cinderella man, they said it about all these guys and its kinda insulting to the people who do make it as pro fighters)

/grumpy mode
Old 5th February 2011, 00:21     #1317
crocos

Finally got around to watching Exit Through The Gift Shop: Bizzare and fascinating. Well worth a watch if you want a documentary that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Old 5th February 2011, 13:02     #1318
xpandnz

What to see tonight. Either Black Swan or True Grit. Going to the cinemas to be immersed in the worlds of either movie. They both look so good.

Which one?
Old 5th February 2011, 13:29     #1319
crocos

Black Swan for a good movie.

True Grit for overacted cheese.

Which do you feel like indulging in?

Old 5th February 2011, 13:39     #1320
xpandnz

I just booked Black Swan. Requiem for a dream still haunts me to this day. Should be good. Newmarket cinemas are quiet nowadays so the movie going experience is enjoyable.