Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11th January 2004, 19:31     #1
Nine_of_Hearts

Super-happy Adventure Funtime Smiles.

Clever Hobbitses to click this link!!

Ah, how the time flies. I was so surprised when Secretagentwoman told me it was time to do another adventure. But also pleased. A little angry, after all, why should we be the only NZGamers to have to do adventures? (Thats not an invitation, we're the only ones allowed to do adventures. We own them. Fuck off.). Today is a very special Adventure. Today, we leave the comfort of my kitchen, and venture into the dank lair that is secretangentmans house. A chilling thought. I was a little scared, but I'd do anything for my fans. well, not this.

SO, without further delay, I give you:
Super-happy Adventure Funtime Smiles.

How to do a half-assed case mod, with no real planning, or fore-thought, just because you happened to find a couple of neat dee-lees at Dick Smiths, and have some store credit anyway, so you might as well use it. Hurrah!

IN-GREEDY-ANTS!!

You will need your old crappy, non-modded case. Some fans (I used a 120mm fan, 2 80mm blue-led-ed clear fans bought new. And 2 old fans. You'll see where from in a little while). An old PSU, and various tools. We didn't think ahead about which tools exactly we would need. Neither should you. But we used: Soldering iron, and solder, a hammer-action power-drill, some sandpaper, sku-divas
clamps, sore-horse, hammer and punch.

No milo in this one. But never fear! We ate plenty of raw milo power to make it up!!

By the way, cEvin, if you're reading this, you're the worlds dumbest dingle-berry. If you're not reading this, then you're learning. And I congratulate you. But you'll never know, so either way, Stay out of my threads!!

Planning!! (very important) (well, not really) (it might be, if you like that sort of thing) (who am I to judge) (but if you don't plan, and fuck up your computer, or person, or realtionships (past, present, or future) don't come complaining to me)(look, just get off my back, ok)(jesus)

Basically, you want to plan out where the fans/holes will go, circuit diagrams, and an air flow diagram, to help with optimal planning. Or something.

IN TEH BEGINNING!!

This is the inside of my case before work began. notice the home made case fan, hand made from an old PSU fan. The conections are secured with masking tape... oh dear...

Taking stuff to peices!!

WARNING!! DO NOT DISMANTLE POWER SUPPLY UNITS!! NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE!! EXTREME DANGER OF ELECTROCUTION!! LEAVE IT ALONE!! PUT IT AWAY!!
Dismantle an old PSU to claim lots of handy wires, and extra fan.

Drillage!! Drill HOLES!! drill for oil!! drill bitch!!

Very carefully, take the top off the computer, and measure optimal positions (where the fans will not interefere with things, but still blow cold air on stuff). Drill lots of holes, in the shape of a grille, drill more holes for the screws. Be very careful not to scratch the paint, and then use a drill bit bigger than the holes to ream the holes so that touching the holes will not cut you. Be careful not to cut your thumb on the drill bit. Attach led-ed fans, and test. Yay!!

Note the non-stinky feet. If your feet are to stinky, simply cut them off. Trust me, you'll be much better off, p-b.

Grommets!!

Put grommets in to lessen rattling etc.
(secretagentwoman told me i had to)

Install the fans!!

This is really quite simple. You should be able to do unaided

WIRING!!!

Now, simply solder all your connections together. Remember to put the switch on the red wire, between the power supply, and the fan. mount the switch(es) somewhere. I used the spare 3.5in bay cover. And you're done.

Last edited by Nine_of_Hearts : 11th January 2004 at 19:35.
Old 11th January 2004, 19:44     #2
eliot

Balls.
Old 11th January 2004, 19:53     #3
fobski

stick to cooking

Old 11th January 2004, 20:12     #4
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Old 11th January 2004, 20:19     #5
simcore_

Crying Re: Super-happy Adventure Funtime Smiles.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nine_of_Hearts
You will need your old crappy, non-modded case.
Hey dude, thats the same case as mine !
Old 11th January 2004, 20:34     #6
SepulchraL

circut diagram had me in fits

well done
Old 12th January 2004, 16:46     #7
curses

r0xx0r
Old 12th January 2004, 16:55     #8
cEvin
Love In Vein

was interesting, but far from funny. it's a step up from your cooking.

i give it 2 out of 10.
Old 12th January 2004, 18:38     #9
MoP

according to you're planning diagram, your blowhole fan in the top of the case is blowing the wrong way...

HOT AIR RISES
Old 12th January 2004, 19:47     #10
Nine_of_Hearts

Quote:
Originally posted by MoP
according to you're planning diagram, your blowhole fan in the top of the case is blowing the wrong way...

HOT AIR RISES
The one thing you have to realise is that:
The fans look damn stupid that way up :P
Old 12th January 2004, 23:37     #11
secretagentman

i also believe that the amount of air being blown around inside the small tiny spaces in the closed case make the "hot air rises" rule a joke anyway... the air wont get a chance to rise, before it is blown out the back of the case...
Old 12th January 2004, 23:48     #12
xor

I don't care what anybody says about the price of a thermal take, they fucking own you all
Even the wannabe jews saving money by making their own ghey cases.
*Points*
Old 12th January 2004, 23:49     #13
xor

Oh and get a haircut or put some product in dude, you look like a tard.
Old 13th January 2004, 01:10     #14
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by xor
Oh and get a haircut or put some product in dude, you look like a tard.
Oh hey, it's Queer Eye For The Straight Guy!
Old 13th January 2004, 03:21     #15
xor

Only if i can put it in your mouth Maaayte
Old 13th January 2004, 08:54     #16
Uncle Gus

Grommets picture borken.
Old 13th January 2004, 09:06     #17
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally posted by CCS
Oh hey, it's Queer Eye For The Straight Guy!
Well, his couteur needs a good juzzhing, and is that green rag in the hole drilling montage his dream catcher? Fabulous.
Old 13th January 2004, 11:48     #18
Nine_of_Hearts

Quote:
Originally posted by StN
Well, his couteur needs a good juzzhing, and is that green rag in the hole drilling montage his dream catcher? Fabulous.
Juzzhing?
Dream Catcher?

FUCK OFF!!

Old 13th January 2004, 14:42     #19
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by StN
Juzzhing? Sounds like a kuhwi saying 'jizz'.

So nine of hearts, about this juzz in your hair...