NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Buy/Sell/Exchange
User Name
Password

Old 14th July 2003, 14:30     #41
compudyne

Exclamation

Cheers for the feedback mish, but in all honesty, you have gone a little OTT in what you have said, id say you have gone a little over the line of feedback, whether it being negative or whatever.
Tho you have pointed out some things i need to attend to, bare in mind that its not that easy to setup something like this...it takes a lot of time and practise and i have many things to learn, which i cannot do in a space of 1 second.
I will be getting onto the things you and others have pointed out to me.
BUT i fully agree with tangy in what he has to say. i didnt post here to get people to bitch about my site/business. i wanted to get my name out there, as any person in business would know is a key factor in getting customers. When people begin to bitch and moan about things instead of doing something the decent mature way, im sure you will know what impact it can cause to a business.
You may very well have pulled the plug on it so to speak, cheers, cos now people might spread the word about how crap it is, and never bother.
dont feel bad about it tho, as im sure you wont. as for all the info you got on my web server, why bother doing such a thing? that comes down to being petty, and maybe some illigal things, if you are finding out specs ect of my web servers.
unless you know the person who operates the webserver, in which case you will know me, so why not come to me personally with your comments and not spread all over the net !!!
Old 14th July 2003, 14:33     #42
mpx

Was it intentional to attack mish for "invading" your computer and completely avoid why he was doing it in the first place?

How can you sell 30k of stuff?
Old 14th July 2003, 14:43     #43
compudyne

I feel i was being attacked as well...
yes its possible to sell 30k worth of stuff, tho that was a typo i have to admit, so calling me a liar is down right out of line!
Am i not allowed to express my feelings towards someones outright making mockery of my site?
all the people who think the layout of the site sucks, go tell that to the people who made it at www.oscommerce.com they might be more interested in hearing it.
Id appreciate if there were no more responces on here. i wont be checking them anymore. so there is no real point.
however, im expecting all those immature people to begin to spam useless crap in here, things like correcting my spelling and grammer, like the did to the thread about gyrotech...
cyas all.
thanks for the feedback, i have learnt alot from this...
Old 14th July 2003, 14:49     #44
Mish
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally posted by compudyne
Id appreciate if there were no more responces on here. i wont be checking them anymore. so there is no real point.
That's fair enough, but I feel the comments you made require clarification on my part.

I don't know you or the person who manages your hosting.

Numerous people mentioned your site was exceptionally slow, I took a quick look and after about 1 second (The time it took to return a DNS lookup) I saw it was hosted on a cable connection, I then went to the IP directly to see if its sole/main purpose was your website, it turned out it wasn't and I was greeted with a page outlining all the sites hosted by bafonline.net.nz.

I clicked the link to go to the main bafonline.net.nz page and was offered the choice of either viewing their pricing plans or 'checking out' the stats for any website they host.

I wish you the best of luck with your business and if you take the criticisms mentioned here onboard then there is no way this thread will do any damage and it may in fact help to bolster your reputation as someone who is willing to work with the customer for the benefit of everyone concerned.

For what it's worth, if you have any objections to your websites logs being publicly accessible I suggest you talk to your hosting provider as it was their decision to make them publicly accessible and linked from their main page.
Old 14th July 2003, 14:59     #45
compudyne

Guess i was wrong, and i apologise, as i said, i am getting on to the things which have been pointed out to me from you and others.
I am as we speak getting onto hosting the site elsewhere, which i have been trying to do for a while now. it should be going up on a 100mbit fibre connection..so no more speed issues hopefully.
Im sorry to have pointed the finger at you, just the way you said what you said came across as being quite nasty to me, and also to tangy who pointed it out.
I dont mind this really, it was the part reason i posted on here..to get feedback, and that it was i have got.
So thank you everyone for all you have said. I just hope that noone decides to go out and black list my site because of this, it is not what i wanted to achieve, and that will effect my business.
Old 14th July 2003, 15:34     #46
cEvin
Love In Vein

that you hyper?
Old 14th July 2003, 22:58     #47
Hotstuff

compudyne, I generally hit out against almost anyone who makes commercial postings on NZG, because it is not fair (there are several regular NZG forum users who have computer businesses and we business owners know that we are not supposed to post anything commercial).

Same goes for most online forums to some extent. NZG is a fairly hardened sort of place.

If you do it again on other forums you'll end up being greatly resented by some..
Old 20th July 2003, 18:36     #48
Unclown

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Hotstuff
compudyne, I generally hit out against almost anyone who makes commercial postings on NZG, because it is not fair (there are several regular NZG forum users who have computer businesses and we business owners know that we are not supposed to post anything commercial).

Same goes for most online forums to some extent. NZG is a fairly hardened sort of place.

If you do it again on other forums you'll end up being greatly resented by some..

Compudyne, is the site down?

"The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Open the www.compudyne.co.nz home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Back button to try another link.
Click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer"
Old 20th July 2003, 18:56     #49
compudyne

sorry, i have just taken down the site temporarily to do some updates to it, it should be back up in a few days, i will make a file to state this now...sorry i forgot to do it earlier, if you want to know the price on something email me tho...
[email protected]
Old 20th July 2003, 19:21     #50
circa

Upside down

hows the business going?
Old 20th July 2003, 19:38     #51
compudyne

ok so far,
apart from the misfortune of me being sick for ages, which means i cannot do the amount of work which i need in order to build more sales...
may i ask what you do? and why the interest?
Old 20th July 2003, 22:38     #52
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Quote:
ok so far,
apart from the misfortune of me being sick for ages, which means i cannot do the amount of work which i need in order to build more sales...
may i ask what you do? and why the interest?
hire someone

*ahem*
Old 21st July 2003, 19:41     #53
circa

ohh just was curious
Old 22nd July 2003, 11:48     #54
The Edge

"The site will be down for a few days so i can update some things on it...

please email me [email protected] if you wish to know the price on anything.

I hope to have it back up as soon as possible, please bare with me."

Jeez, it's "bear" in this situation...learn to spell...
Old 22nd July 2003, 14:19     #55
compudyne

god damnit, is it SO important that you have to write in a forum to correct me?
do you not have anything else to do with your time other than correct someones spelling mistakes? are you a teacher?
Old 22nd July 2003, 14:34     #56
crimson

Quote:
do you not have anything else to do with your time other than correct someones spelling mistakes?
I think you mean "someone's".

Apostrophe Protection Society
Old 22nd July 2003, 14:38     #57
compudyne

man you people are lame, im not writing a damn essay, i dont get marked on how i spell. so really, who cares? this is just getting lame now, and i can't believe how many people waste their time doing stupid things like this, i guess there are a lot of people out there with nothing better to do tho.
L4m3r5
Old 22nd July 2003, 14:41     #58
Torka

Christ, if a decent standard of written English isn't important when you're trying to promote your business, when the fuck IS it important?
Old 22nd July 2003, 14:46     #59
compudyne

im hardly promoting my business on here anymore, in fact, id like it for this thread to be removed. as people are now just making a mockery of this whole thing.
as far as importance of english, it hardly matters in a damn forum!
do we get marked on it? if so i guess i failed, wooes me. :'(
quite honestly, i dont think the standard of most peoples english on the net is very good.
but hey, do we go around emailing site admins to tell them they spelt bear wrongly all the time? i wrote that page in 2 seconds and didnt really care if it had bad spelling.
there are worse sites on the net, go hunt them down and correct them, you might get paid for it!
Old 22nd July 2003, 14:48     #60
crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by Torka
Christ, if a decent standard of written English isn't important when you're trying to promote your business, when the fuck IS it important?
I find your tone overly harsh there. This man is just trying to promote his business.

Grammar isn’t so important, as long as he has a well stocked store, a quality website and good public relations skills he… oh… wait…

Never mind.
Old 22nd July 2003, 14:53     #61
Umberlee
Little Dreamer

compudyne: I think the point you're missing is that the only thing we have to judge you by is the way you represent yourself online, and therefore your spelling and grammar is directly relevant to the manner in which you're perceived by us. It does matter, and if you'd realised this in time you could possibly have salvaged your reputation rather than making yourself look silly and unprofessional.
Old 22nd July 2003, 15:04     #62
compudyne

Well I do understand this, but 'picking' at silly things really just wastes my time.
Professionalism does not come by correct spelling.
The reason I put this thread up, was just to tell people about my site, so they could go there and purchase things.
The minute I did this, people instantly began to take the piss, and I find that rather insulting.
I am trying to run a business, and dont really have much remorse for people who just like to make a mockery of things.
Realistically, who cares if I made a typo by spelling bear wrongly.
I type so fast i dont really read what i write, and in the case of that temp page i wrote, its not really that important.
What is important, is that people get the message that the site is down temporarily, and i think they get that from it.
I have now changed the site to spell bear correctly, though I haven't put a capitol I in somewhere.
GET OVER IT.
Old 22nd July 2003, 15:06     #63
RedeviL

Also, typing english how it should be makes it easier to read.
Old 22nd July 2003, 15:12     #64
markE

Quote:
Originally posted by Umberlee
compudyne: I think the point you're missing is that the only thing we have to judge you by is the way you represent yourself online, and therefore your spelling and grammar is directly relevant to the manner in which you're perceived by us. It does matter, and if you'd realised this in time you could possibly have salvaged your reputation rather than making yourself look silly and unprofessional.
Agreed
Old 22nd July 2003, 15:13     #65
Drgnfire

I think what compudyne doesn't quite realise is that we are trying to help, if he doesn't want to accept constructive criticism then that's his problem.

My personal feeling is that without a major overhaul, redesign and a lot more products his site will never sell anything to me.

(and the throwing all of the toys out of the cot attitude doesn't help much either!)
Old 22nd July 2003, 15:23     #66
compudyne

redesign?
whats wrong with the design of my site?
checkout nodes.co.nz they also use the same osc software, you gonna complain about the layout of their site?
Old 22nd July 2003, 15:33     #67
Mish

Exclamation

You've managed to miss the point of everything that's been said to
you, your last comment was so flawed I'll address it point by point, PLEASE read this.

Quote:
Well I do understand this, but 'picking' at silly things really just wastes my time.
No, it doesn't 'waste your time'. No matter how antagonistic peoples comments are they’re offering you invaluable advice on how to enhance your business, if people are able to pick holes in such a small business/website then FIX THEM!

Quote:
Professionalism does not come by correct spelling.
Professionalism includes many concepts, one of them happens to be spelling things correctly. If you were to try to sell sports cars dressed in overalls smeared with pig excrement you'd embarrass and insult your customers. When you're online your only clothing is your spelling and grammatical accuracy, you do the math.

Quote:
Realistically, who cares if I made a typo by spelling bear wrongly.
I type so fast i dont really read what i write, and in the case of that temp page i wrote, its not really that important.
Then slow down, proofread and spell-check. If you value your business in any way take the extra 20 seconds to proofread anything you publish to the web, forums or otherwise, anything less is an insult to the reader/potential customer.

Quote:
I have now changed the site to spell bear correctly, though I haven't put a capitol I in somewhere.
Why not? You're obviously reading our posts, so you know that nearly everyone here feels insulted by your lack of respect for us. You KNOW there's a typo there yet you're not willing to correct it?

You make comments like "You may very well have pulled the plug on it so to speak" and yet when people make suggestions on how to correct numerous (easily solved) problems with your setup you actively flaunt the fact that you still have typos on a page that only contains 45 words.

Are you seriously trying to run a business? I'm starting to wonder if this whole thing is just someone playing a joke.

Last edited by Mish : 22nd July 2003 at 15:39.
Old 22nd July 2003, 15:43     #68
compudyne

Look, the reason i am not caring about any of the stuff said to me in here, is cos im sick of reading it really.
i regret putting this thread up. and am now on not going to answer anything on here.
i dont give a toss anymore really..
i have other lines of business within my company, and its not really important to me to have a website.
so far, picking at it, and moaning about tiny little things on it is all ive had, and ONLY from this forum.
SO, you can all say whatever you like.
I appreciate everything thats been said, im just sick of hearing about it. GOD can people not understand that noones perfect, ive only just started this business, and i have a million other things to do than spend time in this stupid goddamn forum.
it was a mistake to write the thread. i cannot stress that enough.
laters all. im outta here.
and all those immature people who will think its funny to try and boycott my business/website for no other reason than spite, cna ho to hell.
so far, noone has said one nice thing about the site or business, which i find unbelievable really.
cos ive sold a lot of stuff from it, even tho it lacks a lot of products, and when i take the site down to put more products and update it to its fullest extent, i get the piss taken out of me, thats why i just cant be bothered anymore with you all.
Old 22nd July 2003, 15:44     #69
compudyne

oh and mish, if you are starting to think its a joke, dont take it so personally/seriously.
Old 22nd July 2003, 15:52     #70
Mish

Quote:
oh and mish, if you are starting to think its a joke, dont take it so personally/seriously.
As I've said previously, "I wish you the best of luck with your business ".

I'm not taking it personally at all , I just saw that you seemed to be missing the gist of peoples posts and decided to try to help you 'click' as to why things have developed the way they have (in this forum).

Good luck with everything, if you do decide to continue with the online parts store there's more PR damage for you to undo now, but it's still possible.

Once again, Good luck.
Old 22nd July 2003, 15:53     #71
Torka

Thumbs down

Originally I thought you were a sincere guy who just needed to make a few relatively minor improvements to his website and public appearance, but I see now that I was wrong.

I hope your sorry excuse for a business goes down the tubes as soon as possible and and your bankrupt ass is kicked into the gutter.
Old 22nd July 2003, 16:17     #72
[reyPh]

cont. cevin :S
Old 22nd July 2003, 16:27     #73
Logik
Mate, feed, kill, repeat

compudyne: wake up, man. you're in the business world now. you think we're being hard on you? tough shit. put up with it. we're your customers. we're trying to help you. if you had taken all of the advice in this thread then you might have stood a chance in the online pc retailing market. but now? HAHAH. you don't stand much of a chance. all you've done by being rude to us is dig yourself a huge hole.

honestly, i think your business had potential. there was something on your website which struck me as being a really good feature - i can't remember what it was now since the site is not there anymore - but the point was that it looked promising. however; you then ruin it all by showing your utter lack of experience or understanding of how the online retailing market works here. we tried to give you some helpful advice, and you threw it back in our faces like a bratty little kid. nobody is going to want to do business with you now. you've made a name for yourself alright, but it's not a very good one.
Old 22nd July 2003, 16:40     #74
The Edge

If you can't be bothered to spell correctly or actually LOOK at what you're typing on your website, why should we buy from you?Nothing to stop you taking our orders incorrectly then saying "ah, I didn't listen properly or write down your order correctly" (although I doubt this would happen). As Mish said, spelling IS important, despite what you think. And if you didn't want comments, criticism or feedback you shouldn't have started a spam/advertising thread in the first place.
Old 22nd July 2003, 16:43     #75
The Edge

Also BEAR in mind that a lot of us on here would recommend/not recommend you based on word-of-mouth, so, as Logik says, being rude to us is not helping you at all.
Old 22nd July 2003, 18:23     #76
Mish

Quote:
Originally posted by The Edge
being rude to us is not helping you at all.
Yeah, that's what everyones been saying.

Based on his WEB LOGS for the week before he took down the website, he's seen a total of 12 POST requests.

That probably means one or two people signed up for an account in that week...

If you're reading this (compudyne) I seriously recommend getting your hosting provider to remove the ability for the public to read your logs so people can't see that sort of information, that is unless you're fine with it being accessible.
Old 22nd July 2003, 18:46     #77
The Edge

Didn't he say a few posts back "I'm not checking here again, cyas" <paraphrased>? So he probably won't even bother reading your advice...
Old 22nd July 2003, 19:03     #78
Mish

Quote:
Originally posted by The Edge
Didn't he say a few posts back "I'm not checking here again, cyas" <paraphrased>? So he probably won't even bother reading your advice...
Yes, but he has said this on more than once occasion.
Quote:
Originally posted by compudyne @ 14th July 2003 13:43
Quote:
Originally posted by compudyne @ 22nd July 2003 14:43
i regret putting this thread up. and am now on not going to answer anything on here.
I hope he does come back, it'd be a shame for this to end on a sour note.
Old 22nd July 2003, 19:10     #79
The Edge

I think it has already...
Old 22nd July 2003, 22:32     #80
pjtp

Quote:
Originally posted by Mish-nz

If you're reading this (compudyne) I seriously recommend getting your hosting provider to remove the ability for the public to read your logs so people can't see that sort of information, that is unless you're fine with it being accessible.
While you are at it, get them to upgrade their version of Apache...

Server: Apache/1.3.17 (Unix) (SuSE/Linux) mod_fastcgi/2.2.2 mod_perl/1.24 PHP/4.0.4pl1

It's getting a bit old now