NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Console Forum
User Name
Password

Old 29th March 2008, 01:51     #1
lambchop

PS3 <-> PSP remote play

i had a chance to try remote play for the 1st time tonight... it's pretty much the feature that made me buy a psp ...and holy fuck NOT disappointed!!

i recently brought a wifi booster so have my place pretty much covered with a wicked strong signal - so i'm set there, and i'm on a broadband plan with unrestricted upload speed ..although i guess thats not saying much here ..but still better than average. so i'm all set.

annnyways ... there's three ways to connect to the ps3 .. .

1) private network directly to the ps3 via it's built in wifi (unless you have one of those early gimped 20gig models)

2) private network via your AP/LAN .. which i'd take at home due to my booster on my AP

3) via a internet connection (which can be through any wifi hotspot you can connect to .. incl you're own home one .. but this method requires yr psp log into your psn account 1st)

tried method 2 for starters ... poof ...there was my ps3 XMB staring back at me. scrolled to the new GTA4 vid i had downloaded to my ps3 earlier ... and fuck me .... perfect quailty ..i was kinda peparing myself for disappointment but dam ... was pretty much as though i was running off the memory stick. ran smooooooooth as butter.

then tried method 3, i guess this route defaults to a lower picture/response setting (hit the home button on yr psp to access this) and it was a li lower bit rate to start off ... but i just went to the options and reconfigured it back up to what i was seeing b4. think there are 4 default settings .. the online manual doesn't say what they are though ..and then a custom option .. connecting via method 2 defaulted to setting 4 .... not sure what that equates to .. but while using method 3 i set the picture quality to 512kbs 'normal' and was pretty happy

this was at home on a 100% signal to my own LAN though .... really interested to see how this works from town ... i'd expect pretty well seeing that on the nzdsl.co.nz speedtest i'm uploading data at 684kbps

assuming i can get a wifi link in town letting me download at around that rate ..... this is gonna be TOTALLY useful.

what ps3 games support remote play besides lair and pixel junk monsters?

something like hotshots golf would make getting the psp version fully redundant ..... you buy one ps3 version of a game ..and you get to play it on both systems .... sweet as fuck. but i can fully see why devlopers wouldn't like that a whole lot ..esp those with lucrative psp franchises

fucking hell i just brought the psp version today as well ...

another thing ...you can start a video chat session via remote play ...so thats basically a webcam to your house ... i can check to see who's snooping around my room ..or fuck even point a ps3eye at my tv before i leave in the morning ..

or better yet ... playTV ... CAN NOT WAIT for that to launch already ...

sony, thank you for the two slickest pieces of home entertainment tech ever.

so yeh , what ps3 games support remote play, and what do the preset remoteplay image/response-times settings equate to?

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...menu.html#9206

Last edited by lambchop : 29th March 2008 at 01:54.
Old 29th March 2008, 03:00     #2
Bahamut
The Lord of the Dragons

Having bought a PS3 just days ago, this was also a feature I wanted to toy around with, so did so the same day I got the PS3. I'm very impressed also.

I'm pretty sure all PSX games work fine through Remote Play. I put in Final Fantasy IX and it started on my PSP just as though I was at the PS3. It's also nice to be able to download some music videos, watch them in bed, then turn the whole kit off in comfort.
Old 29th March 2008, 16:30     #3
Bahamut
The Lord of the Dragons

PixelJunk Monsters (available from the store) supports Remote Play.
Old 29th March 2008, 16:40     #4
lambchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut
It's also nice to be able to download some music videos, watch them in bed, then turn the whole kit off in comfort.

lol ..yeh .. may sound a bit odd but one of the reasons why i'm looking fwd to playTV is the fact i can have a portable tv at home through it.

really would like to see more ps3/psn games support remote play though ..the upcoming bonic commando psn title does ..so thats a great start. but yeh ... hotshots golf .. thats what i wish did. i mean yr limited to a wifi hotspot so the developers shouldn't be too worried about eating into their psp version sales ...
Old 29th March 2008, 16:50     #5
Anthony.S

PlayTV will be my reason for finally purchasing a PSP.

The other areas of integration will be icing on the cake.
Old 29th March 2008, 17:38     #6
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.S
PlayTV will be my reason for finally purchasing a PSP.

The other areas of integration will be icing on the cake.
The ability to download and install demos from work to have them rdy to play when you get home is bloody awesome.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:32     #7
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB
The ability to download and install demos from work to have them rdy to play when you get home is bloody awesome.
Not really. The demos have been pissing me off lately. 1-2 gigs for barely enough time to figure out how to do anything before it makes you start again.

I have unlimited downloads too. Doesn't really bother me if I have to wait an hour or two to download a demo or leave it overnight.

Most small demos will download in under 30 mins cause the PS3 store is so fast.

Example = Superstar Tenis. That fucking monkey aced and returned all my serves about 15 times before I even hit the ball back to him once. And then my time ran out.

Being able to check out what is on TV or watch TV from bed or when I'm taking a dump or cooking dinner is gonna be cool though :P
Old 31st March 2008, 21:11     #8
lambchop

..hmmm ... does anyone have that component-out or s-vid tv cable for there PSP?

i'm wondering what the quailty is like .... if i could remote play movies , out to a tv ... shit ..pretty awesome. around the house ..around the world ..
Old 1st April 2008, 11:27     #9
Evilmonkey

I have played with it on my mates PSP on my TV.

Is really good. Only problem we had as whatever resolution it was it was that small on my screen on the TV.

IE, I have a 60" 1080P TV. And the output took up about less than 50% of that.

There is probably ways to stretch it etc but meh didn't play much.

Was still nice.
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:37     #10
lambchop

hmmm my netgear router did not play nice with remote start when having my ps3 in the DMZ . just a heads up.

it would work ok the 1st time, but power the ps3 off and you can't get it on again.

seems to work sweet now tho after making that change.
Old 10th April 2008, 17:17     #11
Anthony.S

Not directly related and of more limited use, but still kinda cool:

Quote:
iPhone to Control PS3 Blu-Ray Player
Posted by Michal | Apr 9, 2008 13:55

In a recent Gizmodo interview with CTO Denny Breitenfeld, a NetBlender SDK will soon allow Apple’s iPhone to communicate with the PS3 console’s Blu-ray player.

According to NetBlender, iPhone users will soon be able to remotely control their PS3 using an application called BD Touch.

Denny Breitenfeld states the following:

"It’s a technology that is built into our professional Blu-Ray authoring tool that will allow studios, independent movie companies to enable BD Touch features.

These features send data in two directions from the Disc to the Iphone and vice versa. Video, Audio, text, and player commands can be sent.

So right now it seems everyone likes the "remote control" idea. However the player can control the IPhone as well. One idea is to automatically pull up IMBD of the movie you are watching right on your Iphone or send the movie information a movie database on your phone. The ideas are only limited to what people want and will use.

We are releasing an SDK for the 100k Iphone developers out there so they can take advantage of BD Touch features to build applications that easily work with all kinds of titles."

As much as it sounds great to be able to download a song while listening to the movie’s soundtrack, I don’t think that having advertisements pop up on your iPhone while watching a movie will please many users.

We’ll make sure to keep you guys updated when it gets announced this Thursday.
Source.
Old 10th April 2008, 17:26     #12
TB

Just a note, Sonys new BluRay Recorder allows you to put TV and BD movies straight onto a PSP already.
Old 11th April 2008, 10:10     #13
Evilmonkey

Won't the new firmware allow you do to do this with the PS3??

As in you can rip a Blue Ray movie to your PSP, it will compress it down or whatever.

Also the new firmware will allow you to rip full BD movies at full quality to your PS3 HDD. Not sure of the point of this as you would be able to fit more than one or two movies.

Also not quite sure how they get around the 4 gig limit of the FAT32 file system...
Old 11th April 2008, 18:13     #14
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmonkey
Won't the new firmware allow you do to do this with the PS3??

As in you can rip a Blue Ray movie to your PSP, it will compress it down or whatever.

Also the new firmware will allow you to rip full BD movies at full quality to your PS3 HDD. Not sure of the point of this as you would be able to fit more than one or two movies.

Also not quite sure how they get around the 4 gig limit of the FAT32 file system...
A new firmware will, but probably not the next one or even the one after that. As for FAT32, Im guessing they're using FAT32+ or something.
Old 13th April 2008, 14:00     #15
lambchop

got my self some AV out cables the other day, and wow i'm pretty impressed with the quality of 1st UMD's on a med screen (33 inches) and 2ndly videos streamed over from ps3 via remote play ...

just so impressed with the whole ps3/psp package ..wonder how many ppl even realize it can do all that ..it's not a fact advertised very well all.
Old 14th April 2008, 14:37     #16
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB
A new firmware will, but probably not the next one or even the one after that. As for FAT32, Im guessing they're using FAT32+ or something.
I got the impression they were adding both features at the same time.

What is this FAT32+ you speak of? And will a PS3 read my USB HDD if I format it with this format?
Old 14th April 2008, 14:46     #17
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop
got my self some AV out cables the other day, and wow i'm pretty impressed with the quality of 1st UMD's on a med screen (33 inches) and 2ndly videos streamed over from ps3 via remote play ...

just so impressed with the whole ps3/psp package ..wonder how many ppl even realize it can do all that ..it's not a fact advertised very well all.
The movies to PSP from PS3 works amazingly well. Looks good and sounds good. And what is even more impressive, is it does it over 802.1b, (or 11 instead of 54).

Pretty impressed at how well it works. But yeh not that exciting or useful to me yet. Is good for music though. Instead of running a long audio cable outside I can just plug in from the PSP which is running wireless.

It will find it's usfulness when we get play TV and you can watch TV on your PSP.
Old 14th April 2008, 17:53     #18
lambchop

i find it very usefull for getting episodes of tv series i've downloaded to TV's in the house that aren't connected to my ps3 ... normally i'd burn to dvd .. and quailty is better for sure that way .. but in a pinch ... just hook my psp up to it instead.

would also work great in hotels who's Payperview is shitty or whatever.

i'm so gonna have to upgrade my HDD .. waiting for prices to drop some more for a 500+ GB drive