NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 28th October 2003, 10:52     #41
Soleil-Raid

/me gets popcorn and beer, and sits on a hill to watch the fireworks and cavalry charges.
Old 28th October 2003, 11:33     #42
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

So are AycorzFewdz and Eyetawkrap cousins?

They're just both so .. clever!
Old 28th October 2003, 11:43     #43
Jenza

Quote:
Originally posted by Trigger

Holy crap! Did you see that freaking chopper explode?
Roger Chopper Dave we have Uh-oh.
Old 28th October 2003, 12:06     #44
xor

Old 28th October 2003, 12:36     #46
herp

Quote:
Originally posted by Trigger

Holy crap! Did you see that freaking chopper explode?
I hate to break it to you, but I haven't laughed at any of those pictures you have posted in the last few months. Call me ignorant, maybe because I don't know what the fuck they are? So can you enlighten me please, because you so inccessantly post those pictures at what you think is every opportunity. I'm just curious if I'm missing some kind of joke here...
Old 28th October 2003, 12:44     #47
Cinclant

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaosWulf
So are AycorzFewdz and Eyetawkrap cousins?

They're just both so .. clever!
Hyper playing the troll and failing miserably. Much like he does at life.
Old 28th October 2003, 12:48     #48
Moo
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Searched the web for evolution is right. Results 1 - 10 of about 5,340,000

Searched the web for evolution is wrong. Results 1 - 10 of about 1,590,000

Searched the web for hyper is pretty fucked up. Results 1 - 10 of about 28,700

Searched the web for hyper is misunderstood. Results 1 - 10 of about 15,400

ALL HAIL GOOGLE MASTER OF ALL KNOWLEDGE

Last edited by Moo : 28th October 2003 at 12:50.
Old 28th October 2003, 13:02     #49
Mokoro

Quote:
Originally posted by herp
I hate to break it to you, but I haven't laughed at any of those pictures you have posted in the last few months. Call me ignorant, maybe because I don't know what the fuck they are? So can you enlighten me please, because you so inccessantly post those pictures at what you think is every opportunity. I'm just curious if I'm missing some kind of joke here...
herp, you must have no sence of humor. that picture it FUCKING FUNNY! AHHAHAHAHAH!
Old 28th October 2003, 13:38     #50
Trigger
Laserman

That particular picture is from a show called Sealab 2021, which is part of the Adult Swim network. Other popular cartoons they make are Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Space Ghsot Coast to Coast, The Brak Show and Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law.
It's somewhat random humor; so if you're 'not in' on the joke you would be confused.
Old 28th October 2003, 13:50     #51
AycorzFewdz

Very angry

Quote:
Originally posted by Cinclant
Hyper playing the troll and failing miserably. Much like he does at life.
What the fuck? are you saying i'm hyper?

I AM BLIND WITH RAGE.
Old 28th October 2003, 13:53     #52
AycorzFewdz

Wacked

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceCowboy
i personally take the view of physicists the world over, and ignore anything non-physics related, ie. biology.

i do think the universe is on the order of 15 billion years tho.
Er, why ignore anything non-physics related?
Old 28th October 2003, 14:45     #53
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

sorry, guess my sarcasm isnt what it used to be. might even have to start using more obvious smilies.
Old 28th October 2003, 14:46     #54
Insanity

I don't believe in atoms, it's all just a crazy theory!
Old 28th October 2003, 15:02     #55
Lightspeed

Question

How does the energy that forms the subatomic particles that make up atoms hold their form?
Old 28th October 2003, 15:12     #56
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

well, it condenses into the gluons, which transmit the strong nuclear force (the one that holds all subatomic particles together, and to each other). gluons have a mass of about 500-600 MeV by most estimates, which makes them interact at short ranges only.
Old 28th October 2003, 15:15     #57
Cinclant

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightspeed
How does the energy that forms the subatomic particles that make up atoms hold their form?
Instead of searching for answers lets just smile and thank the lord for confusing us once again with his mysterious ways.
Old 28th October 2003, 15:21     #58
AycorzFewdz

Laugh

hahaha
Old 28th October 2003, 15:23     #59
SepulchraL

/bandwagon

Old 28th October 2003, 15:42     #60
crocos

Quote:
Uncle Gus said this:
....stuff....

...Adaptation is causal, evolution is not.
Adaption is usually when an already living organism alters it's self or is altered to better meet the demands of it's environment.

Evolution is when edit: these changes are passed on to the next generation, so that they are born with the changes already in-place

Mutation is what you were thinking of, I think. That's the "random" one.

-crocos

Last edited by crocos : 28th October 2003 at 15:48.
Old 28th October 2003, 15:46     #61
AycorzFewdz

Very angry

The same guy i was talking now tries to convince me God created opposable thumbs. ARGGH
Old 28th October 2003, 15:51     #62
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
Originally posted by AycorzFewdz
The same guy i was talking now tries to convince me God created opposable thumbs. ARGGH
OOoooOOOoOOOooh, he's got you there. That's some solid arguing, I don't think there's a comeback for that...
Old 28th October 2003, 16:03     #63
crocos

dog/god

OooohHHH!!! I know!!!!

Did God create Evolution....? That one's always fun
Old 28th October 2003, 16:05     #64
Uncle Gus

Quote:
Originally posted by crocos
Adaption is usually when an already living organism alters it's self or is altered to better meet the demands of it's environment.

Evolution is when edit: these changes are passed on to the next generation, so that they are born with the changes already in-place

Mutation is what you were thinking of, I think. That's the "random" one.

-crocos
Hmmm, no I'm sure that's quite right. Evolution is when a creature is born with a mutation in it's genes that causes it to have an advantage over the rest of the species. The mutation is random. Adaptation doesn't actually (usually) affect the genes. For example, just because your dad was a guitarist, does not mean you will be born with callouses on your fingertips. However, over time, these changes that are due to adaptation might cause the next generation of offspring to be born with a mutation in it's genes that creates the same change as the adaptation.

E.g. camels move into desert areas and get blinded heaps, so their eyelashes grow longer. Eventually, a camel is born with long eyelashes already and it is more successful at passing on it's genes and thus, camels are eventually all born with long eyelashes.

What I had drilled into me hard is that evolution does not have a purpose. It doesn't happen because of something, it is a random process. Adaptation is not random.
Old 28th October 2003, 16:06     #65
Moo
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Didn't you read my post fools? Google has given us the answer
Old 28th October 2003, 16:07     #66
AycorzFewdz

Very angry

MOTHERF*$$%@$!!!

I WANT TO STAB.
Old 28th October 2003, 16:09     #67
AycorzFewdz

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Gus
Hmmm, no I'm sure that's quite right. Evolution is when a creature is born with a mutation in it's genes that causes it to have an advantage over the rest of the species. The mutation is random. Adaptation doesn't actually (usually) affect the genes. For example, just because your dad was a guitarist, does not mean you will be born with callouses on your fingertips. However, over time, these changes that are due to adaptation might cause the next generation of offspring to be born with a mutation in it's genes that creates the same change as the adaptation.

E.g. camels move into desert areas and get blinded heaps, so their eyelashes grow longer. Eventually, a camel is born with long eyelashes already and it is more successful at passing on it's genes and thus, camels are eventually all born with long eyelashes.

What I had drilled into me hard is that evolution does not have a purpose. It doesn't happen because of something, it is a random process. Adaptation is not random.
Huh evolution is random? Isn't its purpose to make the species better adapted for survival?
Old 28th October 2003, 16:15     #68
CCS
Stunt Pants

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Who wants to hear about the rash I had on my scrotum a couple of months ago?
Pics or it didn't happen!
Old 28th October 2003, 16:15     #69
Cookie

Quote:
So when is Simon going to do an IP check and see who this is?

Placing bets now...
Old 28th October 2003, 16:23     #70
Uncle Gus

Quote:
Huh evolution is random? Isn't its purpose to make the species better adapted for survival?
No. That's exactly my point. Evolution doesn't have a "purpose." It isn't a sentient cosmic entity or anything. It's not even a "built-in" process. It's just the name given to the process of random mutations causing species to change.

E.g. A herd of funny looking creatures that live in a swamp. They have long legs and useless forelimbs. In one generation, there are a bunch of mutants born. One has no eyes, another has no legs, one had two heads, one is sexually dysfunctional etc. etc. etc. but one is born with longer forelimbs, and in fact, if it flaps these forelimbs, it can fly. This mutation happened completely by chance, just like all the other mutations, but it just so happens that this creature can survive better thatn the others, and not only that, it can reach treetops. So off it goes. At one stage it mates, and since the mutation occurs at a genetic level, it passes on its genese to the next generation (assuming this new strain is a dominant gene).

Now there's a bunch of these tree-bird thingies, and they are very well suited to their new environment, while the original creature remains in the swamp. What you have now is two distinct species, but this process happened completely by chance. This particular mutation happened to be successful, but don't forget about the countless mutations that aren't beneficial. That's why this process takes millions of years, because it's chances are pretty slim.
Old 28th October 2003, 16:27     #71
Lumpy
The Bicycle for Fish

Quote:
Seems to me that your understanding is a little wonky. Mutations are random, but the natural selection is quite specific. Over time this selection will change a species to something more suited to its environment. That is evolution. It is not random but well directed. Evolution is about the selection more than about the mutation.

Also a physical adaptation as you define it can never be passed to offspring. So it's largely irrelevant to the discussion. It may indicate what a useful mutation could be, but doesn't change anything at the genetic level. Adaptations of behaviour are a different kettle of fish however.
Old 28th October 2003, 16:29     #72
TnT

Why in gods name would you want to see a picture of Simons nads?

Quote:
Originally posted by CCS
Pics or it didn't happen!
BAN HIM
Old 28th October 2003, 16:33     #73
flic
Dee Hast Mish

Quote:
Hmmm, no I'm sure that's quite right. Evolution is when a creature is born with a mutation in it's genes that causes it to have an advantage over the rest of the species...
Kinda like Tiger Woods?
Old 28th October 2003, 16:38     #74
Uncle Gus

Quote:
Originally posted by Lumpy
Seems to me that your understanding is a little wonky. Mutations are random, but the natural selection is quite specific. Over time this selection will change a species to something more suited to its environment. That is evolution. It is not random but well directed. Evolution is about the selection more than about the mutation.

Also a physical adaptation as you define it can never be passed to offspring. So it's largely irrelevant to the discussion. It may indicate what a useful mutation could be, but doesn't change anything at the genetic level. Adaptations of behaviour are a different kettle of fish however.
You're getting natural selection and evolution confused. The process of evolution is a combination of random mutations and the process of natural selection, ergo, it is random.
Old 28th October 2003, 16:41     #75
[reyPh]

I'm afraid, really.... why I'm always on cinclants mind
Old 28th October 2003, 16:47     #76
armourking

And sometimes the fittest don't survive. Just because you have an advantage over, say, other fish of your type, doesn't mean the water hole you live in won't dry up. Or the asteriod will not smack into you.

And these sorts of events (mass die backs) give rise to the worst adapted creatures ever - but it doesn't matter, because whatever you 'do', you can get enough food so anything goes. And so the range of animals and plants becomes more diverse.
Old 28th October 2003, 16:51     #77
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

[size=100000 gazillion]FUCK YOU RETARDED BULLSHIT THREAD STARTING FUCKS[/size]

That is all.
Old 28th October 2003, 16:57     #78
sv
simulationszeitalter

Quote:
The process of evolution is a combination of random mutations and the process of natural selection, ergo, it is random.
Old 28th October 2003, 16:58     #79
Cinclant

Quote:
Originally posted by [reyPh]
I'm afraid, really.... why I'm always on cinclants mind
It's like that card game where you have to match up pairs. When I think of "colossal fucking retard" your name is the first that springs to mind. It has and probably always will since you were the first clown to grace my icq ignore list about 6 years ago.

Also I recall being on your ignore list anyway you jibber-jabber meathead.
Old 28th October 2003, 17:03     #80
Lumpy
The Bicycle for Fish

Quote:
You're getting natural selection and evolution confused. The process of evolution is a combination of random mutations and the process of natural selection, ergo, it is random.
Just because something has a random component to it doesn't mean the whole thing is random. That's just an incorrect assumption.

Mutations are random. A species may never get one that is good for a change in their environment. Hence they go extinct. Happens all the time. A species might be imperfectly suited to their environment. Your swamp things may develop propellors instead of learning to fly. Nobody knows if a species will still be around in a million years.

But to say evolution is random is disingenuous. There are definite reasons why species are like they are. It may be a chaotic, unpredictable, non-intelligent system, but it is not random.