NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 25th October 2003, 14:54     #1

(04) Fireworks

Does anyone know any good places where you can purchase 'old school' fireworks from in wellington?
Old 25th October 2003, 15:09     #2
SehrGut

Very angry

Bring back skyrockets and double happies!!
Old 25th October 2003, 15:11     #3
Ret-

Quote:
Originally posted by SehrGut
Bring back skyrockets and double happies!!
I'll 2nd that
Old 6th November 2003, 00:11     #4
plaz0r

!!@

Is it just me, or was it longer this year than previous ones?
Old 6th November 2003, 00:23     #5
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

hmm, that was pretty cool, i was standing pretty close and damn it was loud!

I still think they should just let them all off at the same time .
Old 6th November 2003, 01:28     #6
Foggerty

The first time I saw fireworks like these was when some French company did a big show for the International Festival of the Arts - complete with a flame thrower and large moving bird sculptures that were on fire. Everything since then has seem kinda tame by comparison (sp?), with the exception of tonights performace.

Very well done, and for the first time in ages I was close enough to feel the explosions, which is always a plus

[edit] I went to Luven with a couple of friends afterwards, which is why I'm editing this - damm you 9% Belguim beer![edit]

Last edited by Foggerty : 6th November 2003 at 01:40.
Old 6th November 2003, 03:04     #7
Spink

Quote:
Originally posted by plaz0r
[img]http://www.plaz.net.nz/pics/pics.cgi/display/fireworks/fireworks084.JPG[img]

!!@

Is it just me, or was it longer this year than previous ones?
I think it was longer, the helicopter was pretty cool imo, it flew right overhead, I was at the D-Cypha 5th Birthday thing with probably the best view outside of being in a boat~
Old 6th November 2003, 03:37     #8
Cyberbob

i think i remember the 2001/2 ones being about 15 mins long
Old 6th November 2003, 03:54     #9
Dalcon

They've always been 15 mins long, from 9pm to 9:15pm on Nov 5 every single year.

Definitly the closer you are the better. Half the fun of fireworks is being able to feel them as much as see them.

So I recommend Oriental bay, with its hills close to the water echoing every boom.

Last edited by Dalcon : 6th November 2003 at 03:55.
Old 6th November 2003, 04:50     #10
Mutton

I had fun here at work in Mangere tonight. Some of the locals must have spent a bit of dosh on the old crackle and pop, they were letting them off for about 4 hours. Not very spectacular, but I didn't spend a cent and I got a pretty good show

win
Old 6th November 2003, 07:28     #11
curses

heard them during the matrix...

they did seem longer than usual...
Old 6th November 2003, 10:01     #12
markE

GG Wellington City Council. I thought the fireworks were great and going to something for free how often does that happen these days.
Old 6th November 2003, 10:17     #13
Russian

The red stars I thought were very cool, never seen those before.
Old 6th November 2003, 10:26     #14
Biggus
Beaner!

Quote:
Originally posted by Foggerty
The first time I saw fireworks like these was when some French company did a big show for the International Festival of the Arts - complete with a flame thrower and large moving bird sculptures that were on fire. Everything since then has seem kinda tame by comparison (sp?), with the exception of tonights performace.
The French sure do seem to love their fireworks, the place that I stayed had fireworks every week for months on end, you could even buy indoor fireworks too! (all throughout the year)

Anyone still got any double happies? Ive still got a few hundred left

Last edited by Biggus : 6th November 2003 at 10:29.
Old 6th November 2003, 10:57     #15
Lylmik

Quote:
Originally posted by Russian
The red stars I thought were very cool, never seen those before.
The hearts were cooler, but they kept going off at weird angles so that we saw a side-on view rather than the actual shape.

Definately must be a new thing (no one I was with had seen something like that before)
Old 6th November 2003, 11:16     #16
0L0

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Spink
I think it was longer, the helicopter was pretty cool imo, it flew right overhead, I was at the D-Cypha 5th Birthday thing with probably the best view outside of being in a boat~
Were you there as a guest or are you a d-cypha employee? I used to work at d-cypha.
Old 6th November 2003, 11:18     #17
The Edge

Grrr I missed it again! I might make a special trip down there next year just to see the fireworks.

The Akld City Council does NOTHING for Guy Fawkes like the Wgtn one does. Kinda sucky, really.
Old 6th November 2003, 11:29     #18
FULLCYCLE

The xmas lights on the nzpost building lighting up just after the fireworks had finished was kinda cool
Old 6th November 2003, 11:38     #19
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with the 04 display. I was expecting more from the "Chinese people who did the fireworks for the Sydney Olympics". In fact, I reckon last year's display was probably better. The only real difference between the two being that this year they had star-shaped fireworks, whereas last year they didn't.

But still cool, always better than doing your own.
Old 6th November 2003, 14:32     #20
ilk

I thought it was pretty good, except that the finish was weak. After all the variety in colours and shapes, finishing with that uniform gold in one big *pooof* was a bit of a let down.