NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 6th July 2003, 00:44     #1
leadinjector

Thumbs up jackie chan- drunken master

just finished watching this, excellent movie. so long as you can stand the fairly poor acting, dubbing, and altogether low budgetness- the fight scenes absolutely rock. and the last guy he fights is one hell of a kicker.

so yeah. definite A+ movie, reminds me of stuff like enter the dragon with a bit of (albeit weak) humour. and if you were wondering drunken boxing is actually a martial art called zi quan, but as far as I know the only place its taught is in china, and even then only in a few places.
Old 6th July 2003, 00:55     #2
CCS
Stunt Pants

Nobody watches a Jackie Chan movie for brilliant acting, dramatic plot arcs or complex character development.
People watch Jackie Chan films to see Jackie Chan flipping around, beating the crap out of people and hurting himself.
Old 6th July 2003, 01:01     #3
leadinjector

who am I had a great plot. all about a lone soldier trying to find himself in a world of nasty people. or something. hmm you're right, thats probably why shanghai knights and shanghai noon sucked so much ass, they tried to do shit like acting and storyline. not as bad as the one though o_0
Old 6th July 2003, 01:19     #4
CCS
Stunt Pants

Who Am I was perhaps one of the more inventive JC flicks, but IMO the plot was fairly contrived. Basically he takes a blow to the noggin and forgets who he is.
His American movies mostly suck because they just don't make use of his abilities. His fights are lame because they frame them too tightly and create the action in the editing room. They won't let him do absurd stunts because they're too worried about him hurting himself. This is Jackie Chan! Self inflicted injury is par for course!
I can't believe they're doing a third Rush Hour movie :/
Old 6th July 2003, 01:43     #5
VERT

Jackie Chan like Jet Lee sold out to the Americans, generally anything (with these guys) unless its done by Golden Harvest is shit.

Now a days I refuse to watch anything with Jackie Chan that comes out of the US, I completely refused to watch those Shanghi Noon movies and the Rush hour movies were crap.

Last edited by VERT : 6th July 2003 at 01:45.
Old 6th July 2003, 01:51     #6
leadinjector

they aren't all crap. cradle to the grave was pretty good. It is unfortunate though that movie companies cant seem to grasp the idea of a martial arts action flick, and instead churn out shit like shanghai noon and the one. I mean come on, its not rocket science- people watch them to see people being beaten up. not to watch Jet Li have a discussion with Jet Li for most of the bloody movie.

and the one "big" martial arts movie I can think of is crouching tiger hidden dragon, which totally sucked ass.
Old 6th July 2003, 01:53     #7
BadNova

Quote:
Originally posted by leadinjector
and the one "big" martial arts movie I can think of is crouching tiger hidden dragon, which totally sucked ass.
"Hero" was pretty cool, although a bit arty-farty for a martial arts flick.
Old 6th July 2003, 02:31     #8
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'm not sure that I'd call CTHD a martial arts flick. More of a drama that happened to have some wire-fu in it. Maybe it was the drama that put you off...

Personally, I thought CTHD was brilliant.
Old 6th July 2003, 03:50     #9
Unknown

Drunken Master 2 is the better one

Oh and nothing beats Dragon - Bruce Lee's Life Story
Old 6th July 2003, 12:39     #10
Cozmo

Quote:
Originally posted by leadinjector
who am I had a great plot. all about a lone soldier trying to find himself in a world of nasty people. or something. hmm you're right, thats probably why shanghai knights and shanghai noon sucked so much ass, they tried to do shit like acting and storyline. not as bad as the one though o_0
I thought we were talking about Chan, not Jet Li >_<
Old 6th July 2003, 12:42     #11
Wolf-age

Opening scene to The One,
Old 6th July 2003, 12:47     #12
BadNova

Saw a trailer for Bulletproof Monk yesterday before the hulk. Dunno exactly what to make of that one.

Looks like your typical americanised martial arts flick, with Matrix-style special effects and ... yeah. It's a Chow Yun-Fat one.
Old 6th July 2003, 13:00     #13
Cozmo

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf-age
Opening scene to The One,
yes it was good, matrix styles, you can see him "swinging" when he jumps for the wall thou.

the end fight isnt bad (some parts)
Old 6th July 2003, 13:05     #14
SHift

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown
Drunken Master 2 is the better one ;)
WHAAAT?!?!
theres a 2nd one?!?!?
/me loads up kazaa
Old 6th July 2003, 13:14     #15
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

the master of drunken boxing series is brilliant!
Old 6th July 2003, 13:34     #16
leadinjector

yeah i saw the trailer for bullet proof monk as well.... could be ok, bit of kung fu+ special effects. plus chow yun fat is da bomb.
Old 6th July 2003, 17:51     #17
[BT]Monza

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by CCS
Personally, I thought CTHD was brilliant.
Old 6th July 2003, 23:58     #18
Caliban

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown
Drunken Master 2 is the better one

Just what I was going to say.....the second one is heaps better than the first.
Old 7th July 2003, 00:46     #19
THEFLYINASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Caliban
Just what I was going to say.....the second one is heaps better than the first.
Agreed - though one of my all time favourite Jackie Chan movies is Meals On Wheels. Hard case as movie

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0087578

__
TFA #(_!_)#
Network Dr0ne
Old 7th July 2003, 01:06     #20
Braczek

shanghai noon rules~ but I like Owen Wilson more than anything else
Old 7th July 2003, 01:10     #21
DMZ_Chainsaw

Have watched a number of Jackie Chan movies especially back in the days of Burt Reynold's Cannonball run. Ever noticed Jackie drives nuthing but Mitsubishi?

But yeah, dunken monkey is a classic JC film. Try and find Project-A (or was it Project-X???) - lots of crazy kungfu and stunts there. Always fun to watch the 'bloopers' at the end of movie. Many showing him nearly killing himself, including one where he fell from forth floor hitting bamboo scaffoldings all the way down (MAJOR OUCH!!!)
Old 7th July 2003, 01:11     #22
Redneck

Drunken Master 2 (Legend of Drunken Master is the english dub title) is probably Jackie's best work. I think Jet Li's first movie - The Shaolin Temple - was his best.
Old 7th July 2003, 03:24     #23
Akane

Quote:
Originally posted by DMZ_Chainsaw
Ever noticed Jackie drives nuthing but Mitsubishi?

Jackie Chan and Mitsi have a close relationship and he's sponsored by Mitsi, and himself owns 47 mitsis IIRC
Old 7th July 2003, 08:44     #24
~raVen~
To Hear 1 Must Be Silent

Cheesy grin

best jackie movie... Laughing hyena
Old 7th July 2003, 09:15     #25
the quake guru

bruce lee - fists of fury
i thought was pretty good well the fighting at least
And CTHD was awsome
Old 7th July 2003, 12:03     #26
Redneck

Quote:
Originally posted by the quake guru
bruce lee - fists of fury
i thought was pretty good well the fighting at least
And CTHD was awsome
The Jet Li remake of that called Fist of Legend is uber-uber-cool.
Old 7th July 2003, 12:11     #27
]- Volatile -[

Drunken Master 2 has to be the BEST martial arts mov ive ever seen
if u havent seen it GET it....

all the chan movies that SUCK are ones that have been made in the US with US directers etc....

drunken master is a CHINESE kung fu flick like many of his first movies
that were made in China are leet!

not into these AMERICANISED ones has anyone seen that JC doco where u says he HATES working with americans and that his REAL love is doing Karioke(sp?) and singing.

i think its called jackie chan my story or sumthing,.
i saw it ages ago cant remeber
Old 7th July 2003, 12:23     #28
Marshall
Pwn*

Drunken Master is teh bomb.
Amazing how fast he moves. Makes all those american movies with the wires and computer generated fighting look tame almost. Much respect to JC doing all the stuff himself.
Old 7th July 2003, 12:34     #29
]- Volatile -[

Werd Marh