NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 26th August 2005, 17:32     #121
Mabd

Devil grin

It was well said in the Herald recently [(I KNOW!!! it's a fucked up world now)] that if an opposition party wants to govern it has to look like it's READY to govern. - paraphrased from John Armstrong "National shoots its other foot."

From the consistent fuck up after fuck up by National, when it should REALLY be tearing down the government, it honestly (with only a tiny bit of bias) looks like the Nats are nowhere near ready.
Old 26th August 2005, 17:51     #122
shootme

Candidate: National
Party: Act

The only reason i'd vote this way is so the country goes into an economic tail spin - which will happen if the above partys get in. esp if Winston is in the mix.

Business is great for me in depression conditions. Bad for everyone else though, mostly.

Boring if the same old, same old carries on. Mother Labour and Aunty Jim know what is best for all us kiddies now don't they.
Old 26th August 2005, 18:18     #123
DMZ_Chainsaw

National & National

Wife said she'll vote the same.
Old 26th August 2005, 18:54     #124
Ard Righ

I'm single, white, hetrosexual, male in my late 20s and I earn in the middle tax bracket. My vote is going to be Labour/Labour.

The interest free student debt policy is the main winner for me to be quite honest.

And I personally don't like Don Brash's refusal to give a straight answer, like Winston Peters.

The rest of the issues I am not overly concerned about. They will all balance themselves out eventually.
Old 26th August 2005, 18:56     #125
Jonas Undrawing

Interesting idea Shootme... you're bored... and you vote National in so you can be entertained by their fuck ups. That's pretty dangerous.

I remember last year when we had an exchange jazz student from the USA. We were talking about politics one time and he said he has friends back in the USA who were democrats planning on voting for Bush purely because they were curious to see how much more fucked up their country could get. And they had a distant hope that Bush's continued incompetence would make all of America wake up and impeach the bastard. Sure, that sounds good in theory, watch "the man" and his empire crumble and fall by their own undoing eh? Still, not enough people have been awoken. I guess Bush is still too subtle with his mistakes.

I don't really feel like gambling with things like that for entertainment. If National gets in, I will pretty much be made redundant immediately. I guarrantee that in order for National to save face and deliver the world to their flock, arts funding will be one of the first things to be cut. Just look at the Auckland Uni shenannegans: conservatives in power who think long term returns don't count as returns at all.
Old 26th August 2005, 21:14     #126
shootme

Jonas - i am not bored, it's just that if a Labour coalition gets back in things will sort of stay the same for the next 3 years (read flatline economy).

Which aint the best for me but is good for everyone in general.

Helen is a strong, charismatic leader. The economy is going well. The poor, sick and the arts are being attended to by generous govt. funds (students too the undeserving bums). Most ppl are content.

My theory is that if a Nat/Act coalition gets in with winston somewhere in the mix, immigration will go down, asian investment will decline quite a bit due to the govt's percived anti-immigration/asian bias and an economic decline will start.

Once the depression ball starts rolling the coalition partys will start infighting (as per last time winny was in power with national), the govt will fragment to a degree and further overseas investment (american and european) will be pulled out of the country as investors like stable goverments.

All the above has happened at some time or another over the last 15 years.

I just have a personal interest in a strong economic decline as business is better for me (bartender).

Last edited by shootme : 26th August 2005 at 21:17.
Old 26th August 2005, 22:26     #127
Ban Midou

I'm Voting Labour/Labour

why? because National is complete and utter shit, I can't stand the fact that they want to send the country into debt just to give the majority of people $10 a week.

National will also scrap plans to give 4 weeks annual leave in 2007

National are doing shit all to help student's get out of debt, and are only offering tiny tax rebates, most likely because they've spent too much putting more money in the rich man's pocket

National will slash health expenditure

Don Brash is an american puppet, if I wanted a prime minister like John Howard I'd move to Australia.

Last edited by Ban Midou : 26th August 2005 at 22:27.
Old 26th August 2005, 23:45     #128
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally posted by ilk
But the Greens are a bunch of pot smoking hippies who can't tell their DDT from their di-hydrogen monoxide.

...and they are getting my party vote.

...you do have a point there.

Maybe if the rest of our politians also smoked up, everyone would mellow out and stay on topic instead of spending all their time attacking each other.

yes, I appreciate that they're more likely to just get hungry and want to play playstation... but still! Less negative politics can't be a bad thing
Old 26th August 2005, 23:55     #129
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

I'm tempted to give my party vote to greens as well, just to help make sure that they get above the 5% threshold, or all those hippy votes will be wasted - which only helps National.

National just keep shoting themselves in the foot - like today's announcement that they wouldn't get rid of the petrol levies after making fun of them in their ads.
Old 26th August 2005, 23:56     #130
BoyWonder

Quote:
Originally posted by Ban Midou
I'm Voting Labour/Labour

why? because National is complete and utter shit, I can't stand the fact that they want to send the country into debt just to give the majority of people $10 a week.
*Newsflash*
The country's already in debt up it's eyeballs. Labour constantly announce huge budget surpluses, and where does that surplus come from? Our pockets. Where do National want to put part of that money? Back in our pockets.
Old 27th August 2005, 00:46     #131
Ban Midou

oh yea and to borrow more money in order to make you think you're getting some money back in your pocket, hahahaha your fucking deluded mate, that money has to come from somewhere and in order for them to repay the debt, I can gaurantee you that money will be coming from you and the tax payer. so your dream of a tax cut is nothing but a dream you can't obtain.

because eventually you'll end up paying for it if not today, tommorrow, in either an increase of tax later on, or cuts in other services like health where your much "hyped" extra money will end up being spent because those costs have increased as a result of tax cuts.

Last edited by Ban Midou : 27th August 2005 at 00:50.
Old 27th August 2005, 09:39     #132
yem

Greens.

Rodney hide got ONE thing right in his campaigning: this is MMP. It's not the party that wins, but the coalition.

Who really gives a f*ck whether Labour beats National by 5% (or vv)? Neither party is going to win an absolute majority. So unless you're keen on a NZFirst influenced government, support the minor parties.

Quote:
Originally posted by BoyWonder
The country's already in debt up it's eyeballs. Labour constantly announce huge budget surpluses, and where does that surplus come from? Our pockets. Where do National want to put part of that money? Back in our pockets.
Nonsense. Labour have been reducing debt at a faster rate than before. National plan to end that and allow debt to increase (by 1% of GDP IIRC). This amounts to around $3B. Kinda puts the Kyoto "blowout" into perspective, no? Hey gotta find $10B for tax cuts somewhere.

The notion that this money is just sitting around in some back office in Wellington is bullshit. It is being used for state expenses or debt reduction one way or another. If you take that money back then there are consequences: cutbacks in health, benefits, education, policing - or more national debt for ya kids.

Take your pick (or vote left).

Quote:
Originally posted by Torka
The most disturbing thing I learned in this thread is that Hannibal is in his thirties.
Old 27th August 2005, 10:42     #133
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally posted by Ban Midou
an increase of tax later on, or cuts in other services like health where
Yes, you could cut health. Alternatively, you could cut from one of the other tens of thousands of expenditure lines that the Governement has.

You chose to mention "health" (you could have had the same effect by choosing "education" or "law enforcement"). Why? The answers are simple aren't they? First, if you referred to the savings that National have said they will make then you'd sound like a pathetic fool. Second, you're trying to make people believe that the governement is efficent and thus "savings" have to mean "cuts" to essential services.

Cutting the fat out of the Governement sounds like a good idea to me. You disagree, but you're not prepeared to admit what you're actually standing for.

I may be being unfair here. Perhaps you're just a tad on the slow side and don't realise what's going on?
Old 27th August 2005, 10:50     #134
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally posted by shootme
Business is great for me in depression conditions. Bad for everyone else though, mostly.
Don't bother voting then. The state of the economy is largely independant of which centre governemnt is in power.

NZ has no influence on the World, but is itself very influenced by the World economy.

Be patient and we'll roll into another economic downturn soon enough. Personally, I'm looking forward to upgrading my house via mortgagee sales.

Really, you'd be better voting green/green. The best chance of derailing the economy quickly thorugh localised action it to not have a centre governement.
Old 27th August 2005, 11:38     #135
Evoke

Saturday 27 August, 7.05 pm, National Radio, Radio NZ Leader's Debate

Sunday 28 August, 8.05 am, National Radio, re-broadcast Radio NZ Leader's Debate

Wednesday 30 August, 10 - 11am, Newstalk ZB in Christchurch with Mike Yardley

Thursday 1 September, 8.30 pm. TVNZ Finance Debate

Friday 2 September, 11 am - noon, Radio Live with Michael Laws. Listeners phoning in
Old 27th August 2005, 12:25     #136
ipee

YUO=LAME

Quote:
Originally posted by Golden Teapot
Don't bother voting then. The state of the economy is largely independant of which centre governemnt is in power.
haha. Can't stop laughing when I hear this crap from you. I have already given you an example of how a government (Muldoon's), singlehandedly destroyed the NZ economy at a time when the world economy was in a fairly good state and yet you refuse to listen. In fact, it was because of these insane Muldoon policies that the Lange Government even had to bring in Rogernomics to basically fix what Muldoon fucked up. Hey, google if you don't believe me.

So please stop with this "government is independant of economy" shit.

LOL. The slow accusing someone else of being slow...haha!
Old 27th August 2005, 12:40     #137
shootme

Quote:
Originally posted by Golden Teapot
Not really true. I agree in some instances but govt. policies can influence the amount of foriegn investment in NZ.

Quote:
NZ has no influence on the World, but is itself very influenced by the World economy.
True.
Quote:

Be patient and we'll roll into another economic downturn soon enough. Personally, I'm looking forward to upgrading my house via mortgagee sales..
I'll be bidding against you at the auctions...

Quote:
Really, you'd be better voting green/green. The best chance of derailing the economy quickly thorugh localised action it to not have a centre governement.
I see a Nat/Act/NZ First coalition as the most volatile and likely to self destruct. They are way more likely to turn on each other when things go bad than any other coalition (remember the first MMP alliance with National and NZ first. Broke up within a year, i think). Asian investment and immigration into NZ will slow quite alot too as the right is seen as anti-asian.
Old 27th August 2005, 12:44     #138
Evoke

i think as far as national coalition goes it's either act or nz first.
act will never go into a coalition with winston peters. they even made badges that say Fuck Winston.
Old 27th August 2005, 12:51     #139
shootme

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoke
i think as far as national coalition goes it's either act or nz first.
act will never go into a coalition with winston peters. they even made badges that say Fuck Winston.
Power makes for strange bedfellows. Lets be honest. Most politicians would sell their mothers, grandmothers, the whole damned family even, to be in the cabinet.

Last edited by shootme : 27th August 2005 at 12:52.
Old 27th August 2005, 13:54     #140
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Quote:
Originally posted by yem

Nonsense. Labour have been reducing debt at a faster rate than before. National plan to end that and allow debt to increase (by 1% of GDP IIRC). This amounts to around $3B. Kinda puts the Kyoto "blowout" into perspective, no? Hey gotta find $10B for tax cuts somewhere.
Hey, I'm an economics noob. Where has Labour said that they are paying off debt? With every huge surplus they make, does that reduce our debt somehow? can someone explain this to me...
Old 27th August 2005, 14:22     #141
Mabd

Devil grin

A portion of our surplus has gone to reducing international debt ever since Labour got in power.

Under National that will be gone, and we'll be borrowing again (well, on top of what we already borrow).
Old 27th August 2005, 16:05     #142
yem

Quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Seb
Hey, I'm an economics noob. Where has Labour said that they are paying off debt? With every huge surplus they make, does that reduce our debt somehow? can someone explain this to me...
Me too. Here's an interview with Cullen from last week that goes into it quite a bit. Musings and mea culpas further up the page.
Old 27th August 2005, 18:50     #143
crocos

Interesting timing on behalf of the Greens.
Old 28th August 2005, 14:26     #144
yem

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoke
Sunday 28 August, 8.05 am, National Radio, re-broadcast Radio NZ Leader's Debate
http://www.nzgames.com/forums/showth...09#post1276609
Old 30th August 2005, 13:43     #145
crocos

An intresting piece of economic observation...
Quote:
In June 2005, we find all three cycles peaking. (Go back to Graph 1.) So, unless the next government really makes a botch of its economic policies, whoever wins this election [Referring to the 2002 elections] (almost certainly Labour) will also win the next one (much as National won in 1963). 2008 may be tough though.
From here.

Last edited by crocos : 30th August 2005 at 13:51.
Old 30th August 2005, 17:04     #146
TU[NZ]

i vote for yo momma, her ass always gets the majority of seats!
Old 30th August 2005, 20:20     #147
yem

Thumbs down

Anyone else think it's getting beyond a joke that National is still inventing policy* at this point? We're voting in less than 3 weeks!

"Oh we still have significant parts of policy to announce" is getting old as an excuse when cornered by an interviewer. 17 September, fucker. Put up or shut up.

* Nick Smith on Environmental Policy
Old 30th August 2005, 20:41     #148
Sp0nge

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by chiQ
I'm not big on voting for the wallet either riven. I'm more interested in a strong economy, foreign policy that makes sense to me, and good education, and health, and family policies. The tax policies really don't get a look-in.
ditto
life is much more than dollars and cents
Old 5th September 2005, 13:53     #149
Evoke

pLOLitics

from the candidates debate in wellington (quote from Salient)

"Some candidates noted that enough electorate votes would mean that they would get their deposit back ($500). "That's nearly an ounce," an MP advised Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party leader Michael Appleby.

A highlight of the evening was Appleby's ability to solve every issue with cannabis. Student debt and child poverty, he said, would be reduced if cannabis was legalised and its price was reduced - allowing students and low-income parents to spend less money or grow their own; the oil crisis can be solved by using hemp-based biofuels to replace petrol; the trade deficit can be reduced with cannabis-tourism and hemp industry exports; crime can be reduced if police resources were freed from policing the "victimless crime" of cannabis use; public services can be improved by tax revenue from legal cannabic sales.

Appleby was, however, unable to stop dead-sea trawling with cannabis."

How wasted were we last night?
Well, I touched Christy Boner's hoo-hoo, were on the hook for two hundred thousand dollars to a transsexual stripper, and my car's gone. I'd say we were pretty wasted.
Old 5th September 2005, 14:31     #150
Macca@Work

Thumbs up

Last edited by Macca@Work : 5th September 2005 at 14:34.
Old 5th September 2005, 22:49     #151
wolf_kin

labour/labour

i had a few problems of a governmental/bureaucratic nature a few years back, so i took them to pete hodgsen my local MP of the day.
he talked it over with me then got his lawyer to look into it. problem solved.

sure it was just blatant "vote sowing" but i really NEEDED that help.......

national MPs in dunners have never struck me as the kind of people that would do that for just one person.

for me it comes down to humanitarianism over pure capitalism.

money or people.
Old 6th September 2005, 04:29     #152
riven

o_O

Quote:
Originally posted by shootme
Jonas - i am not bored, it's just that if a Labour coalition gets back in things will sort of stay the same for the next 3 years (read flatline economy).

Which aint the best for me but is good for everyone in general.

Helen is a strong, charismatic leader. The economy is going well. The poor, sick and the arts are being attended to by generous govt. funds (students too the undeserving bums). Most ppl are content.

My theory is that if a Nat/Act coalition gets in with winston somewhere in the mix, immigration will go down, asian investment will decline quite a bit due to the govt's percived anti-immigration/asian bias and an economic decline will start.

Once the depression ball starts rolling the coalition partys will start infighting (as per last time winny was in power with national), the govt will fragment to a degree and further overseas investment (american and european) will be pulled out of the country as investors like stable goverments.

All the above has happened at some time or another over the last 15 years.

I just have a personal interest in a strong economic decline as business is better for me (bartender).
You = such a cock

Its great that to you, your business is more important than the state of the country you live in.
Old 6th September 2005, 08:07     #153
Hannibal

Quote:
Originally posted by riven
You = such a cock

Its great that to you, your business is more important than the state of the country you live in.
And he's just a citizen, imagine the politicians! I used to like Helen until I saw her evil two faced side. It's been coming out a lot more lately, one second she's smiling for the cameras and the next second she's off camera acting like a psyco. She is the most dangerous kind of politician. I think Brash is much more straight up and less owned by PC bullshit like Helen is..
Old 6th September 2005, 09:16     #154
^BITES^

<- National
Old 6th September 2005, 09:57     #155
Helious

Fuck you talk a lot of shit Hannibal.
Old 6th September 2005, 10:27     #156
yem

Is Hannibal behind the anonymous mailout smear? You heard it here first!
Old 6th September 2005, 10:33     #157
Shammah

labour/labour

Haven't seen any substance to National that would make me believe they could actually run this country successfully.
Old 6th September 2005, 10:55     #158
Hannibal

Quote:
Originally posted by yem
Is Hannibal behind the anonymous mailout smear? You heard it here first!
Nope, but had I known about it I would have handed a few out. And who is Labour to define the difference between 'smear' and 'truth'??? I really find that funny. I have seen a few of these truth pamphlets come out, one documenting the 100's of millions wasted on Labour gov't botchups, it was very interesting to see a breakdown of how much of my money is actually thrown in the rubbish.
Old 6th September 2005, 11:13     #159
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf_kin
national MPs in dunners have never struck me as the kind of people that would do that for just one person.
Well luckily they have an obligation to assist you wether or not they want too (pretty sure) - thats at least part of their job (if they are the electorate MP).

Pixie
Old 6th September 2005, 11:31     #160
MoP

Quote:
Originally posted by Helious-
Fuck you talk a lot of shit Hannibal.