Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 26th September 2014, 18:41     #35241
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Every week, Friday without fail, zit on the inside of my nose.
The curse is working *steeples fingers*
Old 27th September 2014, 19:21     #35242
Nich

Sold a control room to a client.

They completely ignored the design and functionality brief that took us 3 months to research and provide. Instead they want the "company standard" equipment, which happens to have crippling unresolved firmware issues.

We install the broken equipment they insist on, and at the end of week one they say "How can we resolve these issues!? This is a VERY important room and must be operational!"

Sometimes i wish i could just pull a Don Draper, just hit delete on the project folder and walk out of the deal when they choose to ignore my expertise. They bust our balls to lower the price again and again and now they will be buying the system twice.
Old 29th September 2014, 13:38     #35243
Spink

Thinking about pre-ordering a few books off Mighty Ape for Christmas Gifts (coming out Nov 6th and 11th) but can't get past, in my head, remembering the 6 month wait for my G15 keyboard which had a "Release date" on GPStore for Nov 2005, and didn't make it to my hot little hands til May 2006. It's been many years and a rebrand later and I should probably get over it and try trusting them again but I dunno if I can stand to let them have the power to mess with another Christmas.

GMG that I can't decide yet.

Actually inspiration came to me, if the Kindle version of the books comes out in time I can just gift a kindle version potentially.
Old 29th September 2014, 13:43     #35244
Cyberbob

"Hi Bob, We’re sorry, but Broadband isn’t available at your address. After more testing, we found the cabinet your phone line is connected to can’t support Broadband"

Yea, I don't want to be your call centre rep when I call shortly.

For those interested, it's East Coast Road, North Shore, Auckland.

They're trying to tell me that one of the main North Shore arterial roads can't get broadband?

Old 29th September 2014, 13:59     #35245
Spink

Leave auckland while you still can
Old 29th September 2014, 14:57     #35246
Diirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
"Hi Bob, Were sorry, but Broadband isnt available at your address. After more testing, we found the cabinet your phone line is connected to cant support Broadband"

Yea, I don't want to be your call centre rep when I call shortly.

They're trying to tell me that one of the main North Shore arterial roads can't get broadband?

Without knowing whereabouts on the road you are, sounds like you might be buggered. I just had a look and nearer the city its great, but out of the city a bit you have basically nothing. You need to move down the road a bit !
Old 30th September 2014, 11:01     #35247
^BITES^

Quote:
Grew up on East Coast road, and the Exchange/wiring still suck... took years to get ADSL to my parents house which is only a few K's from Silverdale.

Long version short .. as others have mentioned depending on WHERE you are on the road is how fucked you are. The fact your calling it "East Coast Road" not "East Coast Bays Road" (name changes once it gets to ACTUAL north shore) means your more on the Hibiscus Coast than North Shore side ... rural(ish) living has its down sides, which is why I setup a Wifi link to my parents house from mine :P cheaper and easier.

You're probably screwed, blame redvale ... they took all the ports :/

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 30th September 2014 at 11:03.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:09     #35248
Cyberbob

It's basically the East Coast Road / Oteha Valley Road crossroads.

I'm trying to contact them, as the property's also been subdivided, so that might be the issue.

What the postal address is, and what's on chorus's provisioning map might be totally different.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:13     #35249
Spink

welcome to the super city!
Old 30th September 2014, 11:57     #35250
^BITES^

Quote:

I'm trying to contact them, as the property's also been subdivided, so that might be the issue.

What the postal address is, and what's on chorus's provisioning map might be totally different.
Well that should be more Shore than Coast ... definitely get them to recheck .. you shouldn't be on the overloaded Redvale exchange/area and should be a on the browns bay/north shore one... Redvale exchange I know for sure is fucked (friend lived there till 3 months ago).

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 30th September 2014, 14:22     #35251
StN
I have detailed files

A certain teenage boy has various fundraising activities of late, including Hellers bacon sales - which have resulted in an enormous amount of bacon in the freezer.

Said teenager spends all night gaming loudly in the downstairs lounge, only to wake up after mid-day, raid the fridge and cook up my specially bought prosciutto bacon (which I had bought to wrap around some chicken breast) and eggs.

Because teenager = hungry. Normal bacon is frozen.
Old 30th September 2014, 14:27     #35252
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
A certain teenage boy has various fundraising activities of late, including Hellers bacon sales - which have resulted in an enormous amount of bacon in the freezer.

Said teenager spends all night gaming loudly in the downstairs lounge, only to wake up after mid-day, raid the fridge and cook up my specially bought prosciutto bacon (which I had bought to wrap around some chicken breast) and eggs.

Because teenager = hungry. Normal bacon is frozen.
so kick his fuckin ass? that would have happened once when i was a kid before foot was put to ass and i had to pick up dogshit for the afternoon
Old 30th September 2014, 15:57     #35253
StN
I have detailed files

Mad hair lady says no to foot, but dog shit is a good option. When I get home.
Old 1st October 2014, 08:25     #35254
Juju
get to da choppa

Make him pick it up using the bacon as gloves.
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:16     #35255
DevilWTKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
Long version short .. as others have mentioned depending on WHERE you are on the road is how fucked you are. The fact your calling it "East Coast Road" not "East Coast Bays Road" (name changes once it gets to ACTUAL north shore)
It's funny you say that. I grew up in Mairangi bay, and only left there when about 23 or so (10 years ago, but haven't gone far). As soon as Bob said East Coast Rd, my head straight away said, "you mean East Coast Bays rd". So I just went and looked at google maps, and it's all referred to as East Coast rd., end to end. Now i'm confused... stupid memory!

Last edited by DevilWTKC : 2nd October 2014 at 10:18.
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:26     #35256
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilWTKC
It's funny you say that. I grew up in Mairangi bay, and only left there when about 23 or so (10 years ago, but haven't gone far). As soon as Bob said East Coast Rd, my head straight away said, "you mean East Coast Bays rd". So I just went and looked at google maps, and it's all referred to as East Coast rd., end to end. Now i'm confused... stupid memory!
Yeah its a weird road thats been all over the place in regards to naming .. at one point in Silverdale it said "East Coast Bays Road" ... but then Wilks etc showed "East Coast" ... Silverdale got changed back ... then it was only the bit nearer to milford that was east coast bays road.... haven't driven the entire length in some time to notice the consistency since....

I do however miss the "S.H.1" sign which was always changed to "S.H.1.T" always gave me a chuckle.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 4th October 2014, 17:14     #35257
Boofhead

Quote:

Sounds like you're just down the road from me - and my cabinet definitely supports broadband (in fact it's right outside my house)!
Old 5th October 2014, 15:48     #35258
MadMax
Stuff

Funny what food a headache makes you start craving for. I had to make some buttery fried yams on toast

I think the effervescent panadol is working a treat now tho
Old 5th October 2014, 16:10     #35259
CCS
Stunt Pants

^^^ Brain cancer. Die soon.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:18     #35260
Lightspeed

Schools being run by boomers GMG:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educ...n-over-haircut

What's that? Harmless self-expression that's against the rules? Better change the rules and retroactively punish the student.

I refer boomers because I assume this comes from old teachers/administrators/board members who dream of the military-style conformism of their youths.
Old 21st October 2014, 13:14     #35261
MadMax
Stuff

I can remember kids at school with dreds and long hair. It was never an issue and wasn't even a distraction. I think at most one came to school with their hair dyed but nothing a few washes didn't fix.

Yeah must be an old people thing. Maybe the gold carders returning to work?
Old 21st October 2014, 13:19     #35262
MadMax
Stuff

facepalm

No, windows cannot find the fingerprint driver online for this Toshiba laptop, despite the software (inc driver) being installed.

Point it to the temp folder where the software installed from and it finds and installs the driver

Nek minute, oh hai windows update has a newer driver for the device you've installed.
Old 21st October 2014, 13:22     #35263
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Nek minute, oh hai windows update has a newer driver for the device you've installed.
I virtually always disable this function since 9/10 its a shit or generic "OEM" driver which in some cases has completely fucked the device its supposed to be fixing ...

Wifi especially.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 21st October 2014, 13:41     #35264
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Schools being run by boomers GMG:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/educ...n-over-haircut

What's that? Harmless self-expression that's against the rules? Better change the rules and retroactively punish the student.

I refer boomers because I assume this comes from old teachers/administrators/board members who dream of the military-style conformism of their youths.
Yeah, because the boomers were all about military-style conformism in their youth. Well, except for the Beatles and the Stones and LSD and Woodstock and the Pill and blah blah blah.

Still the boomers; they're just hypocrites.
Old 21st October 2014, 19:27     #35265
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah, because the boomers were all about military-style conformism in their youth. Well, except for the Beatles and the Stones and LSD and Woodstock and the Pill and blah blah blah.
Haha, yeah, it's like they were rebelling or something. But not everyone, some still found niches where they could maintain their order.
Old 21st October 2014, 19:43     #35266
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
I virtually always disable this function since 9/10 its a shit or generic "OEM" driver which in some cases has completely fucked the device its supposed to be fixing ...

Wifi especially.
get home to find "oh hai we are now ready to set up your microsoft mouse! click next to continue!"

wtf? oh, mr four year old has plugged an old usb mouse into the front of my pc and windows 8 has installed its software.
Old 21st October 2014, 23:15     #35267
[Malks] Pixie

My students have discovered this thing called a thesaurus, they still haven't quite worked out how they operate though...

Pixie
Old 23rd October 2014, 13:21     #35268
MadMax
Stuff

Angry talking

Vodafone are dropping their old $39 iPhone plan with 3gig of data that I'm on :'(
Old 23rd October 2014, 20:20     #35269
StN
I have detailed files

Vodafone...

Hit 80% of my 100G data cap in the first week this month. Mrs not impressed. Sees all the ads on telly about alternate providers and unlimited traffic. I mention that I like cable, but this falls on deaf ears.

A quick call to VF ensues. Ever helpful tech (and by tech, I kindly mean call centre monkey) advises that we will have to change all email addresses and get a new modem to go on an unlimited plan. Wife checks with me, I call BS. She calls back, gets a different simian who confirms not changes required, and that all we need is a sales call plan change to retain warpspeed and go to an unlimited package - and this can be done within a few hours.

3 days later, no contact, no change, and about to go over cap.

Wife calls again, gets a very helpful call centre rep, while confirms that we have the right idea, but that they are bogged down and it will take a while to process.

Whilst on the phone, wifey gets the email that we are over cap by 2x2G units already - when we were assured we would be sorted 3 days ago. Offers a credit, and swift action.

StN still waits for a change in the status quo...

I mean, don't get me wrong, they have been bloody good for 15 years, you know, when they were Paradise/Telstra/Clear... but now Vodafone Hmmm...
Old 23rd October 2014, 20:48     #35270
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Haha, yeah, it's like they were rebelling or something. But not everyone, some still found niches where they could maintain their order.
No, they're just hypocrites. The richest most pampered most hedonistic generation in history, but now they own everything it's "thou shalt not".
Old 23rd October 2014, 21:41     #35271
TheBender

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Vodafone...

Hit 80% of my 100G data cap in the first week this month.
I mean, don't get me wrong, they have been bloody good for 15 years, you know, when they were Paradise/Telstra/Clear... but now Vodafone Hmmm...
That's my story too. Except I was told "no changes needed - just go from 60GB to Unlimited" so when it didn't change I rang back, and was told I needed to wait for an engineer visit as there was a new Modem needed. #$%@#$%^

If it helps. Persist. Moving from a cap (albeit a fairly big one) to unlimited is full on awesome. It's changed how I use the internet in a way not seen since I moved from dial-up to broadband
Old 23rd October 2014, 23:38     #35272
MadMax
Stuff

it's totally typical of them. i advise anyone calling vodafone that they confirm everything their csr's say. if they say they'll do x, ask how long it will take to be done, what kind of timeframe it should be done in and what to do when it wont be. treat everything they tell you as a lie that you need them to elaborate on. they are that incompetent. the second they don't know an answer, ask them if they are able to even help you at all and suggest that they pass you to someone that can. comically suggest that they give you a prize should they not return a call as promised (they wont and dont)
Old 24th October 2014, 07:46     #35273
StN
I have detailed files

Still no contact, but no additional block usage emails either - a quick look at the online traffic meter indicates that the period may be closed, so the assumption is that we are now on unlimited. Yay!
Old 24th October 2014, 08:05     #35274
[Malks] Pixie

I've had issues with Vodafone as well on a number of issues. For added motivation (on their end) you can always request a copy of the phone call (as is you right under the Privacy Act) to be sent to you and/or a copy of your client notes (so you get to see what actually got noted by the CSR). This usually provides them with the right motivation to actually do what they said they would.

Pixie
Old 24th October 2014, 09:14     #35275
xor

I've been with Spark-Broadband for 4 years. They called and asked if I wanted to go onto VDSL for an extra 10 per month. I said yes and they then organised for a tech to come out the following weekend.
The tech came when the CSR said he would, checked everything out and tested it. Success!

The same CSR called me the other night to check how the quality was.

Vodalol
Old 24th October 2014, 09:49     #35276
MadMax
Stuff

I know you didn't explicitly say it, but spark <> chorus. Provisions are usually fine especially lines work as they would have had some recent training.
Old 24th October 2014, 10:02     #35277
xor

As a consumer I don't care either way, all I want is for my internet to work as it should. And it did, so they win.
Old 24th October 2014, 12:12     #35278
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I've been with Spark-Broadband for 4 years. They called and asked if I wanted to go onto VDSL for an extra 10 per month. I said yes and they then organised for a tech to come out the following weekend.
The tech came when the CSR said he would, checked everything out and tested it. Success!

The same CSR called me the other night to check how the quality was.

Vodalol
This was pretty much my experience with Vodafone. Only difference was I got send a follow-up email & not a call back.
Old 25th October 2014, 16:36     #35279
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Vodafone are dropping their old $39 iPhone plan with 3gig of data that I'm on :'(
Then stay on it. If you change you won't get it back. I managed to stay on a plan for eight years after it was discontinued it, before I needed to make a change and they got me off it.
Old 25th October 2014, 21:37     #35280
MadMax
Stuff

According to the letter in the mail the plan is finally being terminated with an increase in the monthly cost. It's all good as I'm going get my account taken over by my work which uses a pool of data.