Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 4th August 2008, 01:27     #1041
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead goon
Stupid question, but what manual settings would you guys recommend for an outdoor music festival? outdoor anything really, i just don't want to use Auto.

I'm trying to get a feel of what shutter and aperture to use in different situations. depends on what im taking a photo of as well, but there must be like a normal setting to use.
Always there is no one range of settings to use. Depends on the lighting conditions - time of day, cloud cover, etc, etc.

Unless the lighting is constant, I wouldn't use manual - the lighting changes too often, you'd be forever metering, and that would mean you'd miss shots, or you'd be getting the shots, but they're under/over exposed.

I'd use Av aka Aperture Priority, that way I've got the depth of field I want by setting the aperture, at the light levels I want through the camera metering. Speaking of which, I'd probably have that biased a little toward dark to help prevent highlight blowouts.

Because there will be movement, but it's daylight, ISO 200 or 400, and would usually leave the white-balance to auto (or Sunlight if the colour mix doesn't look right)

Even if the lighting is constant and I wanted to use manual, I'd still use Aperture Priority to work out what settings I want before I started snapping.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 4th August 2008 at 01:29.
Old 4th August 2008, 06:39     #1042
dead goon

Stupid question, but what manual settings would you guys recommend for an outdoor music festival? outdoor anything really, i just don't want to use Auto.

I'm trying to get a feel of what shutter and aperture to use in different situations. depends on what im taking a photo of as well, but there must be like a normal setting to use.
Old 4th August 2008, 06:47     #1043
Jodi

Learn how to use the histogram and exposure compensation. Instant feedback FTW.
Old 4th August 2008, 06:55     #1044
dead goon

didn't see crocos already had replied. oops. thanks mate, i will work with those instructions

jodi: cheers, i understand how the histogram works, and what it looks like when you have a good balance.

Last edited by dead goon : 4th August 2008 at 06:57.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:04     #1045
Jodi

Ah well,

while i'm in the mood for giving out tips.

1) If you have the battery, and it's a bright day, try playing with fillin flash. If you have a fancy SLR, then try toning down the flash exposure compensation to stop the flash from being so harsh. Either that or walk backwards and zoom in.

2) Don't take photos at face height, work that camera. just make sure you don't get accused of doing upskirts if you're taking low shots.

3) Long exposure and zoom out for a groovy effect.

4) Try not to use flash when photographing the band members, esp at night. Not nice.

5) Play a little with macro?

6) Take photos in RAW. Means you don't have to worry about white balance, and it gives you +/- 1ev normally if you get your exposure wrong.

7) try overexposing/underexposing on purpose, critical mass kitty FTW!

8) try to stick to 100iso if possible, but at night, you'll be stuck with a high iso unless the people can stay absolutly still for 30 seconds...
Old 4th August 2008, 22:38     #1046
dead goon

Good tips.

With no.3. Do you mean zooming out while the shutters open? sweet.
Old 5th August 2008, 06:48     #1047
Jodi

Yea. Gives the illusion of movement, or just makes the picture more "interesting"
Old 5th August 2008, 20:50     #1048
crocos

Nice - just tried that. Seems to work a little better with longer exposure shots so that either the start or end of the zoom is most solid, with the rest of the zoom providing effect.

That, and it's damn hard to get a smooth zoom that either lasts the whole duration of the shot, or the shot is too quick to do the full zoom.

Last edited by crocos : 5th August 2008 at 20:52.
Old 7th August 2008, 13:37     #1049
Yoda

http://thestar.blogs.com/olympicphotos/

Blog from non-major-wire photographers at the olympics.
Old 7th August 2008, 22:53     #1050
dead goon

What to look for in a good tripod?

Also, recommendations welcome.
Old 7th August 2008, 22:58     #1051
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I'm no pro shooter, but I love the convenience of my Gorillapod
Old 7th August 2008, 23:01     #1052
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Agreed wholeheartedly. Gorillapod SLR Zoom FTW!

Old 7th August 2008, 23:10     #1053
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I'm interrailing from Berlin to Rome for 3 weeks in September - DEFINATELY picking up one of these.
Old 7th August 2008, 23:14     #1054
dead goon

Weird looking things. They're not that good if you have nothing to put it on. Say if you wanted to do some landscape shots.
Old 7th August 2008, 23:39     #1055
lektronimo

Quote:
Weird looking things. They're not that good if you have nothing to put it on. Say if you wanted to do some landscape shots.
Gitzo and Manfrotto are the best tripods, both come in range of sizes and weights (and prices). NEVER buy a bad tripod - false economy. Same goes with tripod heads.

All comes down to this:

Stability - are the leg locking mechanisms stable/secure? Or feel flimsy with small movements? You can test this by erecting the pod and shaking it from the top.

Weight - heavy tripods are more secure, but heavier to carry. Find the best balance for your lens/camera/height combo.

Handling - does it take 3 minutes to fully set up, or closer to 45 seconds? Can you undo the leg locks with your gloves on? Does it have hand warmers on one of the legs? (aluminium = cold in winter) How about a reversible central column with a hook for stones (you place stones in your tripod carry bag, hang off the central column hook for extra stability)

Make sure you buy something that will last your longer lenses too (>200mm) as unstable tripod will show up any movement at longer lengths. Same goes for your head choice - I would personally recommend Manfrotto 190X - stable, plenty tall (I'm at 1.9m and with cam + head + pod height all reach my eye level - just). If it's too pricey, go for plain 190B as this is essentially the same minus vertical central column and older leg locking mechanism. If you're going all out, get a carbon fibre version of 190X or a Gitzo Explorer series. Google for pdf catalogues from both manufacturers, there you have weight/size charts for easier comparison. Hope that helps.
Old 8th August 2008, 00:50     #1056
dead goon

Thanks for that. All well and good. But I'm a very amateur photographer :P I know I should invest in a really good tripod now, but I'm thinking maybe something a bit cheaper to start with.
Old 8th August 2008, 06:50     #1057
Jodi

Unfortunatly, you get what you payfor. However a good tip for cheap pods is to weight them down with a heavy bag, and don't extend the centre pole.
Old 8th August 2008, 08:25     #1058
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

For anyone interested, Lightroom 2 was out the other day. $99US upgrade if you pretend you're in the US, or $129US upgrade if you're honest - I lied...
Old 8th August 2008, 09:00     #1059
lektronimo

Quote:
Thanks for that. All well and good. But I'm a very amateur photographer :P I know I should invest in a really good tripod now, but I'm thinking maybe something a bit cheaper to start with.
Thing is, your tripod is likely to far outlive your camera and lenses. So invest in a decent one. Have a look at Velbon Sherpa models, not bad at all and they come with a head.
Old 8th August 2008, 09:38     #1060
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
QFT
Old 8th August 2008, 10:57     #1061
crocos

Actually one tip for the Gorillapod: Buy a medium ball-head for it. Makes it crazy-much easier to use.

Old 11th August 2008, 09:39     #1062
Jodi

Yay, Lightroom 2.0 to the rescue!

Apparently they have addressed the crappy camera profile problem they had with lightroom :-) You'll need lightroom 2.0 to use it though, and its currently only in Beta atm.

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Yay!

I have found a solution to the aweful colour problem posted by Ab about Adobe's aweful skintone colour reproduction!

Problem:
Adobe raw covert gives CRAP COLOURS! Specifically skin tones.
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc94a3b.3bc4c365

<snip>
Old 21st August 2008, 02:05     #1063
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Apparently they have addressed the crappy camera profile problem they had with lightroom :-) You'll need lightroom 2.0 to use it though, and its currently only in Beta atm.

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles
From a tiny test sample, I can report a big improvement with RAW shot on my 400D. Not perfect, but far better than the shit that ACR/Lightroom used to produce.
Old 27th August 2008, 00:37     #1064
SumJaun
Cogito Ergo Sum

Canon EOS 50D Hands on Preview

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos50d/
Old 28th August 2008, 03:21     #1065
Konev

D90 is here.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08...0previewed.asp

movie function raises an eyebrow.
Old 28th August 2008, 04:30     #1066
Heresy
yawn.

#
# Movie capture at up to 1280 x 720 (720p) 24 fps with mono sound
Old 28th August 2008, 14:23     #1067
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heresy
#
# Movie capture at up to 1280 x 720 (720p) 24 fps with mono sound

That's seriously hot right there.
Old 28th August 2008, 14:59     #1068
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
That's seriously hot right there.
Hell yes. Can't wait to see whether Canon gets its seriously impressive video capture (from the likes of the G9 and S5-IS) into its range.

And when the hell is an update to the 5D coming? Or at least an alternative cheaper full-frame sensor model.
Old 28th August 2008, 15:34     #1069
caffiend

To explain why I want full sensor: I really, really, really want to buy a Canon 24-105mm L lens; but on a 1.6x crop sensor (ie: my 350D) that effectively makes it a 38-168mm. Which just puts it out of having what I would consider wide-angle capability, which I really want for my walkaround lens (I currently use a 17-70mm Sigma, which is effectively 27-112mm range on my camera - or pretty close to what that L would be on a full-frame SLR) - it's a really versatile range to have...

But I can't afford both the lens and a 5D. And I know other brands have full-frame offerings, but I really want to stick with Canon.

Hmm... may have to relax that rule if Canon doesn't sort their shit out.
Old 28th August 2008, 16:29     #1070
Konev

get a D700.

you know you want too.
Old 28th August 2008, 16:46     #1071
caffiend

Mmm. I can't afford a $3k camera, so you suggest a $5k one.

You must be 'avin' a Turkish.
Old 28th August 2008, 16:56     #1072
madmaxii

If you don't specifically want an L lens, Canon have just announced an 18-200mm EFS lens. Due out here in NZ at the end of September. Retails in the States for USD699. 35mm equivalent is 29-320mm
Old 28th August 2008, 20:47     #1073
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumJaun
Canon EOS 50D Hands on Preview
If the high ISO settings deliver then I'll buy one without a moment of hesitation.
Old 28th August 2008, 20:55     #1074
Heresy
yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxii
If you don't specifically want an L lens, Canon have just announced an 18-200mm EFS lens. Due out here in NZ at the end of September. Retails in the States for USD699. 35mm equivalent is 29-320mm
Keen to see how good or bad this lens is, compared to the Sigma.

caffiend: I'd expect Canon to make any announcements at photokina, next month.
Old 28th August 2008, 21:51     #1075
dead goon

Shit len's are expensive. I'm rockin the 18 - 55mm kit lens for now, it's all i need
Old 28th August 2008, 22:52     #1076
Cyberbob

I know nikon had a 18-55 & 55-200 kit with their D60.. so tempted to pick one of these up.

In the middle of deciding between a nikon D60 and a canon 450D
Old 28th August 2008, 22:55     #1077
Konev

ive got a 55-200VR lens, not bad for its price at all.

if you go nikon also look at getting a 80-200 F2.8 instead, pin sharp lens for fuck all cost.
Old 28th August 2008, 23:01     #1078
dead goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I know nikon had a 18-55 & 55-200 kit with their D60.. so tempted to pick one of these up.

In the middle of deciding between a nikon D60 and a canon 450D
I bought the D60 about a month ago. No complain of product. I never really looked at Canon after seeing the D60, looking at the 450D now, I'm glad I went Nikon.

Last edited by dead goon : 28th August 2008 at 23:04.
Old 29th August 2008, 00:27     #1079
Heresy
yawn.

Quote:
Shit len's are expensive. I'm rockin the 18 - 55mm kit lens for now, it's all i need
spend £60 on a 50mm 1.8 if you haven't already.
Old 29th August 2008, 00:57     #1080
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, the el cheapo 50mm f1.8 is a must-have.