Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 19th August 2009, 17:05     #921
Axident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
A while ago I picked a book of his - the first of the Flinx series. I am currently reading through that and haven't read any others - I might have to try reading the Spellsinger series next.
The Spellsinger series starts off okay. The first book actually has a bit of a hard and gritty undertone to it. That's lost by about the third book and the series turns into a fairly formulaic fantasy adventure story. Avoid Son of Spellsinger.

Quote:
I tried to buy 10, 12 & 13 from the MobiReader store - it turns out that because I am in NZ they are not available to me.
That really &#*@ess me off. And they wonder why peope DL books from alternative sources.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:14     #922
Axident

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
I hav'nae read The Great Gatsby. Is it good?

Or am I missing some kind of joke (as suggested by the wink/smiley)?
For ages I thought it was a kidult book. I read it in middle school, along with The Crucible and Of Mice and Men, and always thought they were pretty simplistic. The Great Gatsby was one of the more enjoyable ones though.
Old 22nd August 2009, 08:57     #923
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Dan Brown - Most Donated Author (to Oxfam):
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08...fam_donations/

lol
Old 22nd August 2009, 09:40     #924
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axident
That really &#*@ess me off. And they wonder why peope DL books from alternative sources.
Downloading copyrighted material is illegal, but when you try to pay money for that material it seems that they don't want it. I had the same problem when Napster first re-opened as a pay site - I was willing to pay US$1 for some songs, but they wouldn't sell them to me.
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:46     #925
Lylmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
Good work - the classics are always worth a read.
I really liked A Tale of Two Cities, didn't like Great Expectations much at all.
Only other one I've read that you listed is Jane Eyre, which [surprisingly] I found reasonably enjoyable.
I also found Crime and Punishment interesting from a "this guy is fucking nuts" (the author) point of view.

Last edited by Lylmik : 22nd August 2009 at 12:49. Reason: Delete superfluous quotation
Old 22nd August 2009, 16:16     #926
Markh

I now have 3 more books to read - I tried buying them again and this time I lied about what country I was in.

I wonder how long a new release stays at a high price for - the last book in the serious only came out recently and it cost US$26 to download it. It seems fairly expensive for a download, their costs can't be all that high. I wonder how much of that goes to the author? Probably less than $2.
Old 22nd August 2009, 16:39     #927
doppelgänger of someone

I've been reading the canonical Sherlock Holmes stories. The granddaddy of detective genre is pretty CRAP. Sherlock Holmes was portrayed as smart because the whole Scotland Yard were complete IMBECILES.
Old 23rd August 2009, 00:08     #928
ilk

You have to put it into the context of the time - using scientific (or even quasi- or pseudoscientific) techniques to solve crime was really groundbreaking at the time. Plus it is fiction, the competing agencies are always going to be dumber than the hero
Old 23rd August 2009, 00:34     #929
cryocore

Quote:
A while ago I picked a book of his - the first of the Flinx series. I am currently reading through that and haven't read any others - I might have to try reading the Spellsinger series next.

Unfortunately I have hit a road block - I don't have 10, 12, 13 or 14 of the Flinx series. I tried to buy 10, 12 & 13 from the MobiReader store - it turns out that because I am in NZ they are not available to me.
Have you tried buying it with hotspot shield? I've used it to buy D2D U.S only released titles.
Old 23rd August 2009, 07:08     #930
ilk

Ooh, that looks interesting, would be good to watch Adultswim.com and Daily Show full episodes. Will my ISP put me on a terror watch list if I use that?
Old 23rd August 2009, 10:30     #931
crocos

Ad supported :-/

Still, if it works it works and you don't get something for nothing nowadays. Not really anyway.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd August 2009, 13:11     #932
_Incubus_

Just finished Iron Angel from the Deepgate Codex Trilogy, the first one is great as well..Scar Night.

Picked up and couldnt put down Altered Carbon..cyberpunk detective novel with plenty of twists pretty cool.
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:24     #933
Perfk
snakes & ladders

just grabbed House of Leaves out of the flatmate's bookshelf
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:29     #934
cryocore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfk
just grabbed House of Leaves out of the flatmate's bookshelf
that book will fuck you up!!!!!!!

The ONLY horror/suspense book to ever really affect me.

Dont read it on the bus/train though. People will think you're a bit special with all the rotating, and upsidedown reading it requires.

Last edited by cryocore : 23rd August 2009 at 14:31.
Old 23rd August 2009, 18:04     #935
Bent

Just finished Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. A really good read, so I'll probably read Quicksilver next.
Old 23rd August 2009, 19:19     #936
dead goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryocore
that book will fuck you up!!!!!!!

The ONLY horror/suspense book to ever really affect me.

Dont read it on the bus/train though. People will think you're a bit special with all the rotating, and upsidedown reading it requires.
sounds good!
Old 27th August 2009, 19:59     #937
Kar

Pandora's Star by Peter f Hamilton... can't put it down.
Old 27th August 2009, 21:38     #938
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar
Pandora's Star by Peter f Hamilton... can't put it down.
Found that just good enough to read, though light enough that I finished it in a day.

Old 29th August 2009, 21:24     #939
HughMann

Psychology
New Zealand Government & Politics
The Interpersonal Communication Book
Need to know: Social Science Research Methods.
Old 29th August 2009, 21:40     #940
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Monkey on a Stick - Murder, Madness, and the Hare Krishnas
Old 30th August 2009, 16:33     #941
Kar

Quote:
Found that just good enough to read, though light enough that I finished it in a day.
OK...

I found it well above the level of just good enough to read, though light enough to take my time, enjoy it, and finish reading it in just under a week.

Starting to read Judas Unchained now.
Old 30th August 2009, 18:10     #942
Madman

Quote:
Downloading copyrighted material is illegal, but when you try to pay money for that material it seems that they don't want it. I had the same problem when Napster first re-opened as a pay site - I was willing to pay US$1 for some songs, but they wouldn't sell them to me.
How old are these books? AFAIK copyright expires in the US 50 years after the author dies, and in NZ after 70 years (even if it's written by a US author)? Therefore a book that might be available to US customers for free or pay now won't necessarily be available in NZ for another 20 years?

But I agree, regional-based distribution methods are utterly useless on the internet, a region-agnostic series of tubes. Then again, what can you expect? It's old-school retailing on the internet, and it's not going to change for a long time I expect (except in limited circles).

Anyway, I'm currently reading up on .Net's MVC framework dealio. Yawn.
Old 30th August 2009, 18:45     #943
TD
Anas Latrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
Anyway, I'm currently reading up on .Net's MVC framework dealio. Yawn.
Hey, that's good times!
Old 30th August 2009, 19:51     #944
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
How old are these books? AFAIK copyright expires in the US 50 years after the author dies, and in NZ after 70 years (even if it's written by a US author)? Therefore a book that might be available to US customers for free or pay now won't necessarily be available in NZ for another 20 years?

But I agree, regional-based distribution methods are utterly useless on the internet, a region-agnostic series of tubes. Then again, what can you expect? It's old-school retailing on the internet, and it's not going to change for a long time I expect (except in limited circles).
Alan Dean Foster - still alive and the last book in the series was only finished a couple of months ago.

I suspect that the MobiReader E-Store doesn't give a damn what region you are in, but legally has to deny access to many books if you admit to being in another country. When I created another account and lied about what country I was in they sold be the 3 books I wanted - they ignored my NZ credit card & NZ IP and chose to blindly accept my selecting of USA for the country I was in. It strikes me as arse covering - "we asked what country the customer was in and they said USA!".

I am unimpressed with the US$26 price for the last book though - I can buy the hardcover book from Amazon for US$17 so I would expect an electronic download to be US$10 at the most!
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:29     #945
Axident

What about Google Book's scheme. They're scanning all the books they can get their hands on and putting them online so people can access bits of them under 'fair use' copyright clauses. Rights holders have to actively opt out. If they don't, then Google gets rights to scan their material. The stunning thing is, that even if the authors are still alive but live outside the US, their works are classified as 'out of print' and will be scanned regardless. And to cap it, if you live outside the US, you can't use the Google Books archives.

Sort of divides the net into USA and Other. 'Don't be Evil' was a nice marketing slogan for a while
Old 8th September 2009, 00:11     #946
Lightspeed

Greg Egan - Diaspora.

Crickey.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:54     #947
[Malks] Pixie

Daemon - Daniel Suarez

Picked it up after hearing a SALT talk I heard him do. Pretty cool book.

Pixie
Old 8th September 2009, 09:59     #948
Kryten

Currently reading Lev Grossman's The Magicians - sort of a growns up version of Harry Potter/Chronicles of Narnia. Quite enjoyable so far, it's definitely growing on me.
Old 8th September 2009, 18:15     #949
crocos

Re-re-reading Terry Brook's Scions of Shannara - picked up a omnibus edition of all 4 books on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Greg Egan - Diaspora.

Crickey.
Love some of his high-concept hard-core sci-fi

Last edited by crocos : 8th September 2009 at 18:20.
Old 8th September 2009, 22:09     #950
TD
Anas Latrina

Online preview of the first chapter of the new Wheel of Time book is available.

It is only one chapter but I'm impressed. I've always liked the world more than Robert Jordan's writing so I'm looking forward to the new books with a new author.
Old 10th September 2009, 13:14     #951
Kryten

Scott Lynch, who we've discussed in this thread previously, replies to some hate mail.

http://scott-lynch.livejournal.com/159686.html

http://scott-lynch.livejournal.com/242033.html

Quote:
What you're really complaining about isn't the fact that my fiction violates some objective "reality," but rather that it impinges upon your sad, dull little conception of how the world works. I'm not beholden to the confirmation of your prejudices; to be perfectly frank, the prospect of confining the female characters in my story to placid, helpless secondary places in the narrative is so goddamn boring that I would rather not write at all. I'm not writing history, I'm writing speculative fiction. Nobody's going to force you to buy it. Conversely, you're cracked if you think you can persuade me not to write about what amuses and excites me in deference to your vision, because your vision fucking sucks.
Old 14th September 2009, 18:10     #952
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Love some of his high-concept hard-core sci-fi
The end of Diaspora made me think of the concept of it's turtles all the way down.
Old 15th September 2009, 19:05     #953
[Malks] Pixie

Roadside Picnic by Arkady & Borris Stugatsky - fantastic book.

Pixie
Old 15th September 2009, 19:21     #954
chubby

Thumbs up

Samuel R Delaney
'stars in my pocket like grains of sand'

currently re-reading a bunch of old(ish) classics

the dispossessed
highrise (freakin' awesome)
star king (formative)

Quote:
Roadside Picnic by Arkady & Borris Stugatsky
love it.
Old 17th October 2009, 06:40     #955
Spink

Wow had to go ages back to find this thread.

Just finished The Trial by Franz Kafka, it turns out if I want to fully understand it I'll have to read it several times again with the chapters in different orders.

Also recently read Crossing The Line by Karen Traviss who's one of my favorite 'with the troops' type writer in a lot of established IP (Star Wars Republic Commandos, Gears of War and Halo) although this is her series set in her own universe. Really liked it and ordered the first book in the series so I can catch up with it more.

One thing that made me appreciate it much more was this quote from the FAQ on her site that asks why one of the alien species dislikes humans so much.

Quote:
Some years ago my ex-husband - hereinafter referred to as H2, to distinguish him from H1 - was very unhappy about a SF novel where the aliens were the threat and the gallant humans (and their sidekicky but inferior alien allies) blew the Bad Aliens to Kingdom Come. H2, who was both a prolific SF reader and a man of science, had drunk his fill of this ethos and was spitting nails about it. "Why are humans always the good guys?" he ranted. "It's institutional xenophobia. Crap."

Hmm, I thought, wiping the foam from the kitchen table. If I ever write SF (and I had no plans to do so then) maybe I could ask that very question...

So I did.
Old 17th October 2009, 13:26     #956
Asriel

I have recently read:
The mark of the lion: The story of Charles Upham V.C. and Bar by Kenneth Sandford. Brilliant book! CU is quite an amazing man. Though I do wonder where all his pre-war hatred of Germans came from.
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Very cool.
Ultra marathon man by Dean Karnazes. Douchebag, but extremely determined and, dare I say it, inspirational.

I am currently reading The Prize: the epic quest for oil, money and power by Daniel Yergin.

Lots of travelling and no uni makes for good reading times.
Old 17th October 2009, 14:16     #957
Wally Simmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar
OK...

I found it well above the level of just good enough to read, though light enough to take my time, enjoy it, and finish reading it in just under a week.

Starting to read Judas Unchained now.
Just started the first one. Finished reading Night's Dawn trilogy not too far back and was fairly impressed, and this seems like more of the same.
Old 17th October 2009, 16:24     #958
fidgit
Always itchy

Just read Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom, by Cory Doctrow. It's intriguing sci-fi, set in a world where everyone can get anything that matters (food, shelter) for free, and so society is based on accumulating worth ("wuffie") through others opinions of you and your work. Also: human cloning, meaning no one has to die, they can be rebuilt from a backup and only lose what they've experienced since their last back up.

Cory Doctrow's hard-on for Disney, and the Haunted Mansion (an affinity that isn't news to anyone that reads boingboing) is pretty front-and-center. I found a lot of ideas in the book were quite familiar territory if you read boingboing - UI, copy control, Disney.

He's written a short story sequel, a parable about Napster (his description), which is hosted on Salon: Truncat.
Old 18th October 2009, 15:32     #959
eff tee

Bone People - Keri Hulme

Interesting but disturbing story. So un-pc it's not funny, it's amazing what's changed in NZ in the 30 odd years since it was written.
Old 21st October 2009, 15:36     #960
Baal

Greg Bear - Eon.

I read it ages ago and now I have the sequels so re-reading to refresh my memory.