NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Lemon Party Forum
User Name
Password

Old 24th September 2013, 23:59     #1
crocos

Cocktails: Nola Ruin and Barnacle Grog (Name pending)

Two drinks: First is a hard drink, served up, the second a long drink over ice.

Please let me know if you try either of them!

Based heavily on the Logan's Ruin at Monterey, which is in turn a Sazerac style drink, I present:

THE NOLA RUIN -
  • Chill the heck out of a old-fashionied glass with ice
  • Make a simple syrup, add a shot to mixing glass (because couldn't find any Agave nectar in the supermarkets! Recently been taken out of the line-up that Progressive stocks apparently - I'll need to hit up Moore Wilsons or mexifoods.co.nz)
  • Add a double of 1800 Anjeo tequila reserva to mixing glass
  • Add a double of Laphroaig 10-year to mixing glass
  • Add a double dash of Grapefruit bitters
  • mix well with spoon.
  • Pour a single shot (or a 1/2 shot if feeling parsimonious) of 170-proof absinthe. Light that puppy up! BURN BABY BURN! Snuff the flame after 10 sec or so.
  • Empty ice out of old fashioned glass, pour in the absinthe shot, thoroughly coat the sides of the glass, then turf the absinthe.
  • Slice off a very generous slice of orange peel - lightly bend it to make the oils come to the surface
    • optionally light it to give a pleasant slightly burnt tang
  • put in old fashioned glass
  • Pour content of mixing glass over the top of the peel & serve, no ice

Variation: Go to Monterey for the Logan's Ruin (Requires access to Newtown, Wellington, New Zealand. Damn good burgers too - pro-tier++)

Variation: Instead of a mixing glass, use a Shaker with ice. This brings out the tequila more, almost completely suppressing the smokiness of the Laphroaig

Variation: Use Peychard's Bitters or Orange Bitters instead of the Grapefruit Bitters. I may have to slap you if you use Agnostura.

With Talk Like A Pirate day just last week, here is:

BARNACLE GROG - <Open to suggestions for better name>
  • Fill a Collins glass (tall thin tumbler) with loosely-placed ice
  • Two generous dashes of Peychards Bitters
  • Three jiggers of Spiced Rum (I prefer old-fashioned spiced rums like Sailor Jerry's instead of the sweeter Captain Morgan, Coruba or Appletons - but match to taste and availability)
  • Squeeze of fresh lime
  • Top with Bunderburg ginger beer (Or any full-brewed ginger beer will do - the ginger-beer sodas are NOT acceptable)

Decorate with a slice of lime or spiralled citrus peal & serve. Pirates don't do umbrellas or straws. You crusty dog you.

Enjoy!

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 25th September 2013 at 00:02.
Old 25th September 2013, 09:36     #2
pxpx

Cocktails destroy weekends (or in this case, weeknights and their following weekdays). Stay safe OP.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:34     #3
smitty

Crocos' Chocolate Martini of EVIL.

Evil? No, that's the wrong word. Tasty is the word. VERY very tasty.

Oh, and fair warning: Follow the below to the letter and it will not taste alcoholic at all. :-)

Please let me know if you give this a go!

Chocolate Martini / Vodkatini (Serves 2)

Drinkables:
  • White Crème de Cacao (lots) - Keep on ice
  • Vanilla Vodka (I usually use Absolut - will need twice as much as the White CdC) - Keep on ice
  • 42 Below Manuka Honey Vodka - Keep on ice
  • Brown Crème de Cacao - Room temp (helps with layering)
Gear:
  • Shaker (Classic, Bullet or Boston, doesn't matter) & strainer
  • Ice
  • 2x Cocktail glasses (aka Martini glasses) per shaker-full
Decorative Ideas:
  • Curls of dark chocolate to float on top, or finely grated good milk chocolate
  • Dark chocolate Pocky (sometimes sold as "Mens Pocky", oh you crazy Japanese)
Methodé:Into shaker with small handful of ice:
  • 2 double-jiggers of Vanilla Vodka
  • 1 double-jigger of White Crème de Cacao
  • single jigger of Manuka Honey Vodka
  • Cap and shake it like an unwanted step-child* until the damn thing gets too cold to hold uncomfortably, let alone comfortably.
  • Ratio clarification: 4 parts Vanilla Vodka, 2 parts White Crème de Cacao, 1 part Manuka Honey Vodka.
Then:
  • Split the shaker's contents between the two cocktail glasses
  • Layer Brown Crème de Cacao to bottom of glass by holding bar-spoon to wall of glass - fill until 1/4 Brown CdC 3/4 other by volume
  • Decorate & serve immediately
Tips:
This recipe can easily be doubled and still fit in most shakers, but it will take more shaking to get to the level of Arctic cold this recipe calls for.
* Note: The author does not condone violence towards step-children, even red-headed ones. Even if they're Lightspeed or moo.
Old 26th September 2013, 00:44     #4
crocos

♪♫ Ban, ban, ban all my ten accounts ♪♫

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 26th September 2013 at 00:45.
Old 4th October 2013, 15:55     #5
GM

I don't see the first one working, there's no way a shot of Laphroaig would find its way into into a mix of other drinks in my household.