View Single Post
Old 8th May 2009, 16:54     #10
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by erentz
I have a problem with this. In the preview it shows the enterprise being built on earth, in some prairie somewhere. But in all of the other star treks (tv shows and movies) these starships are built in space and from my limited knowledge of trek-foo they aren't designed to be atmospheric vehicles. I think JJ just decided he had to have some stupid Top Gun rebel motorcycles up to the big ship scene.
Err no. According to the canon the TOS era Enterprise was built at the San Francisco yards on Earth. TNG era Enterprise was built at the Utopia Planitia yards Mars. I believe Enterprise B was built at McKinley Station in Earth orbit and Enterprise C was another Utopia Planitia project.

Intrepid class, aka Voyager, are explicitly designed to land on a planetary surface and the saucer section of the Enterprise D was definitely designed to land. Both the Enterprise and Enterprise D have both entered an atmosphere and while not happy doing it generally in the episodes in question they were crashing out of control rather than landing per se.

What might be confusing you was that the refit Enterprise, first seen in Star Trek the Movie, was being serviced and refit in space at McKinley Station.

Kinda sad that I remember this shit....