Thread: Thank You
View Single Post
Old 5th January 2003, 11:32     #14
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Your opinion on whether your car is safe to drive on a public road is irrelevant. All that matters is whether you can obtain a warrant for your vehicle. If you can't then your vehicle is not safe to be driven on a road.

A WOF demonstrates, at the time of issue, only the bear minimum level of safety a vehicle requires to be driven on a public road. Most people maintain their cars to a standard well beyond the minimum allowed. So, you'll be pretty much alone in your opinion that a vehicle that fails a warrant isn't a "danger" to anyone.

A warrant goes some way to ensuring the safety of other users of public roads. It is those people who want the police to do their very best to keep people like you off the roads they are using.

You seem to have difficulty understanding that you're not permitted to ever drive an unsafe vehicle on a road? While you are allowed to drive a vehicle to a testing station for the purpose of getting a warrant, that "excuse" isn't much use to you is it?

Your reasoning for why you should not have been issued an infringment notice is probably the most pathetic I've ever read on NZ Games.

First, if you believe the police officer was acting inappropraitely then lay an offical complaint against them. I can't imagine what grounds you could use though. You've supplied a photograph that shows your vehicle was being driven illegally and you've admitted that your vehicle has defects so severe that it failed the warrant test. You also stated that you don't have enough money to pay for the absolute minimum level of maintenance that you car needs to make it safe to drive. All that happened is that the police officer stopped you and issued you a ticket for infringments you freely admit to. You even admit to having done this before with a much less safe vehicle that you never bothered to fix. This sounds about as fair as it can get to me.

Secondly, if your garage really does keep failing your safe (in your opinion only?) vehicle, then take that up with the LTSA. What seems more likely to me is that you've had a problem with your headlights for a very long time and you still have not had them fixed - no doubt because, in your opinion, your vehicle is safe to drive.

Lets pretend for a minute that you're a real bone-head (actually, I can imagine this quite vividly). Your next step should be to contest the infringment notice in court. Be sure to come back and tell us how this plays out. If you let me know what time you're up then I'll come and provide vocal support (for the police officer).

As for twenty minutes of your time being taken up. What better use of the police officer's time could there have been? Society pays for police officers speficially so that they can catch scum (and yes I do think "scum" is the right word) like you.