View Single Post
Old 20th July 2006, 12:07     #9
[Malks] Pixie

It's this sort of thing which scares me...

Quote:
A similar "patient recruitment" move for psychiatry is the re-definition of environmental illness - a debilitating condition with varying symptoms due to environmental causes such as chemical poisons and electromagnetic pollution - as a purely psychological phenomenon. "It's all in your head, stupid!" seems to be the rationale.
My mother spent 6 years seriously ill (at the time she weighed less than 35kg) with the doctors trying to tell her it was all in her head until she discovered it was linked to a garden chemical which she used (which they had said had nothing to do with it). Once they'd identified it they were able to treat her and she made a pretty full recovery in less than 6 months - but thats 5 years that she had to deal with doctors telling her it was all in her head.

In my job I spend a lot of time look at wether a substance is dangerous to us (humans) so am very aware that there are huges amounts of "enviromental" dangers in the substances we use day to day.

Shit like the quote above just scare the crap out of me (and make me feel very sorry for the American public).

Pixie