Thread: Evolution
View Single Post
Old 28th October 2003, 23:45     #94
Lumpy
The Bicycle for Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Gus
No. Now you're confusing random with chaotic.
Do you even understand these terms you are bandying about such as "random", "chaotic", "evolution", "adaptation", "no"?

Quote:
How's this for another visual aid? Let's say that X is a random number between 1 and 10, okay? Now, 5 is a very non-random number, no? But what is X + 5? Answer: It's a random number between 6 and 15, i.e. a random number.
I'm not saying there aren't some processes with a random component that come out with a random result. I'm saying that not all processes with a random component come out to a random result. In particular mutation and then selection. Your example isn't anything like that process.

Quote:
Evolution = random mutations + natural selection. At the end of the day, the new species that has emerged as a result of evolution is as much a product of a random mutation as are all the poor sods who were born with no eyes. The fact that they were born with extra eyes instead is just a stroke of good fortune.
Yes, but that's not the point. The point is those with extra eyes will survive, while those born without a brain won't. That's not random, that's a definite choice.