Thread: New Macs
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2006, 00:30     #126
Hannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by homercles
Interested to know the specs of yr mini and what you use it for. A few ppl I know are getting to the upgrade stage again & I don't feel like getting them an Alienware just so they can run Vista.

edit: what do u mean by "used to the display"?
My mini is the 1.42 with 1GB ram, airport, dvd burner, and a maxtor one touch2 300GB external firewire disk. I don't advise running the mini on the internal disk unless you get a 7200rpm one. I got a massive performance boost with the external disk, and i use carbon copy cloner and monthly dump my entire system to the mini's internal. This way if my main disk dies I can still bootup the mini with the same system on it. I use the system heavily with a lot of web & graphics apps. As far as what I use it for it perfoms better than my old AMD64 3200 with 2GB ram. The display has a sort of sheen which I think is from the antiglare coating but now I don't notice it anymore and the display is amazing, broad daylight all curtains open and I can see everything crystal clear and can be fairly confident of the color. The best thing of all is just using a system month after month and never having to touch it from an admin standpoint. The sleep function is also wicked, it's an instant on and off, something I tried with my windows system and gave up with..