View Single Post
Old 16th May 2008, 09:53     #25
StN
I have detailed files

Very angry

Ok car chaps...

Can I get vehicle insurance for one day while I get a check done?

The chap I am looking to buy the car off is selling it on behalf of his dad, and as he is under 25 he can't get insurance for it. I want to get a mechanic to do a thorough check on it due to it having an engine with no (at present) verifiable history chucked into it in December. To do this, I need to get the car 30kms across town to my garage, and then back again.

My idea is to get the chap selling it to ride shotgun, and have me buy some temp insruance to keep everybody happy. Who sells this? AMI didn't want to do it - the closest they suggested was that I take out and pay for a year's worth and then cancel it after one day. I wasn't too keen on that!

Another idea was to get hold of a car trailer and transport it that way - I'm picking that my insurance would cover the load?

It's starting to seem that this thing is a lot more trouble than it is worth. It was originally for sale in Blenheim, and I spent several weeks trying to organise getting an AA check done up there, but another chap selling it kept claiming that it was being repaired and couldn't be realised for a test - this could well have been true, but it seems strange that even when it's down here, it can't be tested because it can't be driven anywhere.