View Single Post
Old 6th July 2007, 12:31     #404
EvilLumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
The proper rephrase would be:

"if you say that you don't care what the explanation is, so long as it's the one most backed-up by the facts -- and if you're prepared to drop that explanation the moment a better one comes along and admit that you were wrong up until that point -- and if you're unwilling to form a belief on something which you are unable to collect facts on you are a fundamentalist"
Wait a minute... you're suggesting that one can be a fundamentalist by NOT blindly believing something? I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

As far as I see it, a fundamentalist is someone who forms his/her opinions without facts and is unwilling to move on that fact irregardless of proof to the contrary.

Science is all about altering and coming to a more accurate picture, and calling someone a science fundamentalist while they don't follow the tennets of science is totally inaccurate and a complete misnomer. Maybe quasi-science fundamentalist would be more accurate, because it's certainly not science.

I think you should clearly define what a fundamentalist is before you move the goal posts again.