View Single Post
Old 7th September 2008, 16:33     #22
CCS
Stunt Pants

I don't think he deserves death. If he topped himself, I don't think I'd consider it a job well done. I think it'd be pretty sad that it'd come to a punishment that far exceeds the crime.

The guy bashed his missus. Since then he has paid her out $150,000; lost his career and reputation and probably a lot of friends; had 7 assault related charges laid and will probably be convicted on at least one of them if not more. So he's pretty well fucked, more so than your average wife beater. I think we can all relax and feel like he's had his just desserts. But now people want him dead too?
I understand where that sort of hyperbolic statement comes from. People want to show their unrelenting disgust by suggesting the harshest reprisal they can think of and then feel like they're a great and upstanding citizen. It's a pretty macho display, to say "CUT OFF HIS BALLS HAR HAR!" and I guess it makes people feel better about themselves.

I'm not sure that he's even a recidivist offender. At least, none of us knows that for sure - unless we consider it a pretty horrific crime to throw water at someone. He's not some serial wife beater.

The ideal outcome now is that Veitch goes to court and gets whatever is coming to him - probably he'll get a sentence of a few months, if that (I'm not saying I endorse that sentence, that's just what I think will happen if he's found guilty). After he's done the jail time, I'm happy for him to fade into obscurity with his wife and be never heard of again. Whatever emo 'feeling sorry for himself' mental problems he has that drove him to attempt suicide will be his to live with.

All this wishing of death upon him is just some pathetic macho posturing.