Thread: Steam
View Single Post
Old 1st September 2010, 00:13     #30
Nothing

Incidentally Slingshot have just recently offered a flat rate plan with no data cap. Limited to the first 10,000 customers. Required 24 month contract tho, so don't do it unless you're sure it'll be worth it. Of course if you don't have to worry about data traffic then it doesn't matter when steam updates (with the exception of the instances in which an update stops you from actually playing). I think it comes to about $120 a month or something. ADSL2+ available if you're in the right area. They prioritize traffic, P2P, torrents etc at the bottom of the priority list and voip + gaming at the top of the priority list with browsing, streaming and normal downloading somewhere in the middle. I'm not 100% sure on this, but to me it sounds quite different from Telecoms flat rate plan. Slingshot say they never throttle the speed because you've used a "lot" of data and there's no talk of data shaping other than the prioritizing of particular kinds of data.

I've decided to give it a shot, maybe if I'm lucky the ping times to the Aussie QL servers will be better than on vodafone's red network.