View Single Post
Old 5th July 2007, 19:52     #392
samael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
If I thought they were the same I wouldn't be making a comparison, I would be saying they are the same.

The principles may change, but they would still be the principles of science, unless they would change into something so radically different that it wasn't science at all. And if that's true then wouldn't that mean you have faith in the current scientific principles seeing you have no way to be sure they are correct or not?
I don't understand what you are trying to say, you talk about science fundamentalists and religious fundamentalists in the same sentence, pointing out the similarities, then you say they are not the same, even though you use the same word "fundamentalism" to describe them.

If the principles can change, then the "faith" one has in those principles is not the same "faith" that a religious person has in the fundamentals of their chosen religion. Using the same word "fundamentalism" in the same sentence with two different meanings is misleading, hence, I don't really know what your trying to say.

One can rely on science to provide knowledge or one can rely on religion to provide knowledge, but in religion the core principles are always true - they are immutable - which is not the case in science.