View Single Post
Old 5th July 2007, 16:39     #377
samael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Science can and is where the buck stops for a lot of people. While there is nothing wrong with that, there is nothing right about it either. It's just a person's choice.

Solely accepting science as your source of truth and accepting nothing else makes you a science fundamentalist.

I agree science is quite compelling in regards to describing the physical universe and I personally enjoy getting my mind blown by reading about quantum physics and the like.

However at least thus far science has only answered the question "why" with "why not" and to believe that science may one day answer that fact is faith as I see it. It's the assumption that there is actually an understandable answer to that question.

Of course to a science fundamentalist, just as it is to a religious fundamentalist, it can be difficult to grasp how anyone could not consider their point of view, because their point of view is "obvious" to them. However, if anything seems obvious it's usually because you've made some fundamental, perhaps unconscious, assumption.
You can't go around redefining words. There is no such thing as a science fundamentalist - scientists are more than willing to swap out any theories for better ones.

Edit : I read your edit, doesn't change my post.