View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2004, 19:22     #29
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally posted by Moo
Not really cyc, you just come across as a foreigner HERE TO FIX THINGS STRAIGHT!$@ with a serious case of white man's burden. It's very easy to spout politically correct ideas (they are pc for a reason - to argue against them puts one in the easy position of being labelled).

Ideas that get labelled PC become so because:

(1) Most can't face the facts; and
(2) Some people, like yourself, think that calling someone or something PC is some knock-down argument.

If you are the "average white man", then I am afraid you do bear a rather terrible moral burden. It's sad but true. Afterall, most of "us" are happy to be morally inconsistent, hypocritical, and to apply selective morality in many different facets of life, be it free trade, race relations, historical injustice, or whatever.

And I am not trying to be some White Angel. I just think that something being morally right is a good enough reason to follow it. And, frankly, with some chance of my kids being raised here, I'd like them to be able to live in a just and decent society.

Like myself and Boyd have said on these Treaty threads again and again, if the majority want to convince people of the rightness of their position, offer some rational arguments. That you happen to be the majority or that you happen to strongly believe in whatever are not enough. Face it, most of "us" would cry like hell if the sorts of injustices done to Maori were done to us.

(Edit: Long posts are too hard during the festive season. Numerous mistakes corrected)

Last edited by cyc : 2nd January 2004 at 19:25.