View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2004, 17:49     #24
Boyd-Work
Frank's Pickle Barrel Ass

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf-age
So an innocent white person suffers today because of a deal that they legally made in the past?
The magna carta was penned before you were born too, do you think that means you shouldn't have the rights established within it?

I'm so sorry the government is racist towards you poor white men. I mean, it's a wonder that you even manage to make it through the day.

You MIGHT want to brush up on your own history before you start cracking wise at other people about the same. Even if paying people in muskets and blankets were acceptable (which it isn't, read British directives from the time.. Lord Norrie would disagree with you pretty starkly there), you're quite happily ignoring the massive seizures of land that took place with no compensation whatsoever.

Yes, of course restitution is due. Nobody's saying you should be booted off your land, and heaven forbid you poor oppressed white men of the country be made to suffer for even longer than you already have; it may come in many forms. The point is that even if the Treaty of Waitangi DIDN'T guarantee this wouldn't happen (which it did), it would still have been illegal under British law and therefore justice is due.

I don't understand the huge fuss. It's not like this is going to bankrupt us or put all the white people out on the street. It's just fairness. Don't you want to do the right thing? Yes it's awkward, yes it involves people being bigger men than their fathers were and admitting that huge, grave mistakes were made. But that makes it no less right, no more than it does to say that you should be able to magically wipe the slate clean.

I find it interesting how the oppressed white man can at once also be so eager to retain the status quo.