View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2004, 17:17     #20
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf-age
WizardofOz: Where did I ever say that I wasn't?

Cyc: We swapped things for the land that they are trying to claim back, muskets, food, alcohol etc. Ever take hisotry?

Whoppee!! Yeah, that sounds like quid pro quo and fair exchanges, man!

So, you haven't read about the forced confiscation of lands by successive NZ governments or did you just suffer from selective blindness when you read your history books? Perhaps you read the Selective History of New Zealand: The NZ First-voting White Men's Perspective, instead of a credible history book published by a publishing house like, say, the OUP? Here's a hint, buy a book by Keith Sinclair or James Belich and read it.

And it doesn't matter one fucking bit that the injustices happened a long time ago or whatever. This lovely society of ours (as well as our government) like to bang on about how we are all equal and so forth. And guess what this requires?

Answer: People must be able to start off in life without morally arbitrary disadvantages. Now if your culture is roundly assaulted and ridiculed, along with having lands that would otherwise have been passed down to you taken away, do you really think these people are getting a fair go? Moreover, whether you like it or not, YOUR legitimately elected government continues to nationalise lands that would otherwise have been legitimately owned by Maori as national parks and so forth - will you be happy for lands that should be in your hands taken away without compo for "public use"? "No" will be the answer, I take it? Well, good... now learn to remain morally consistent.

And where did this government ever claim that they want to extinguish your private land titles? Did you see this in the NZ edition of Mein Kempf or was it Talking Out of Your Ass, Bigot Style?

Last edited by cyc : 2nd January 2004 at 17:19.