View Single Post
Old 6th October 2006, 14:39     #114
seanfish

o_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Hmmmm... as a Christian I'd prefer not to have a conscience. Christian belief is that the conscience is God's law written on our hearts. As a Christian God's law has been fulfilled by the sacrifice of Christ. To try and live by the law would be trying to add to that sacrifice, which is pride.

I choose to have compassion not because I feel compelled so, but because that's the type of person I want to be.

Of course, it's quite clear some Christians choose to be dicks, because I guess they wanna be dicks.

And I appareciate that the Christian understanding of conscience isn't the same as the world's.
I think that's pure crap.

As a non-Christian who nonetheless has a fairly thorough knowledge of bible teaching, I know the central teaching Christ had to give the world centred around the concept of "love one another as God has loved you". His sacrifice was to live as a man and demonstrate not simple compliance with God's will but to face the dilemma (played out in the Gospel's as the devil's temptation) of living for one's own self or serving God's will.

Therefore it follows that a Christian is *not* committing the sin of pride by having a conscience, by acting with compassion - they are trying to live as Christ lived. Now, God created man in his own image and therefore if man has a conscience that is what God wants for him. Being a soulless robot for Jesus is a pure copout. Being an arsehole and justifying it because you're good with the man above so everyone else can go to fuck is worse. You fret about your pride, but you claim to discern human qualities that your God shouldn't have included in His creation.

What supreme arrogance.